Has anyone heard from UCSF (post-secondary) recently?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

diosa428

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm approaching the 8-week mark at UCSF, and I'm trying to figure out if they're behind b/c of the holidays or if I should be expecting a thin envelope in the mail... Has anyone heard recently? When were you complete? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

diosa428 said:
I'm approaching the 8-week mark at UCSF, and I'm trying to figure out if they're behind b/c of the holidays or if I should be expecting a thin envelope in the mail... Has anyone heard recently? When were you complete? Thanks.

I think the 8 week mark is meaningless. I haven't heard anything...It's been over 8 weeks for me.

I received an interview offer from them last week. I was complete there in the beginning of December.

Members don't see this ad :)
DoctorC said:
I received an interview offer from them last week. I was complete there in the beginning of December.

I received an invite this week. Complete early december as well, I believe.

Bummer. Guess I should expect bad news in the mail soon then... at least I'll be prepared. Gossmer, when were you complete? (I was complete 11/14).

don't lose hope diosa...I was complete 11/20 and got my rejection letter in the mail on monday (1/9), so you may still be under consideration...

that said I am out of state and wasn't expecting to get in

good luck on your interviews, for those of you lucky enough to get them!

sen said:
don't lose hope diosa...I was complete 11/20 and got my rejection letter in the mail on monday (1/9), so you may still be under consideration...

that said I am out of state and wasn't expecting to get in

good luck on your interviews, for those of you lucky enough to get them!

For those of you who have heard back from UCSF, does the website change your status once the rejection letter is sent back.

I have also been complete forever and have not heard as well.

Last year I was rejected, and no, I had no clue from the website.

I was "on hold" to interview, which was worse almost- I had hope but it was eventually devastated. If you get rejected post-secondary but not post-interview, you *can* appeal still if you feel like you would do well there.

I just got a secondary from them 1/6, so they're still definitely interviewing (or at least I hope I'm not sending $60 to torture myself)...

Good luck yous guys :luck:

Nic

nikibean said:

I was "on hold" to interview, which was worse almost- I had hope but it was eventually devastated. If you get rejected post-secondary but not post-interview, you *can* appeal still if you feel like you would do well there.

I just got a secondary from them 1/6, so they're still definitely interviewing (or at least I hope I'm not sending $60 to torture myself)...

Nic

Thanks, good to know...they're very strict about not giving applicant status info out so thats good to know.

FutureDoc2005 said:
For those of you who have heard back from UCSF, does the website change your status once the rejection letter is sent back.

I have also been complete forever and have not heard as well.

There most certainly has been no change on my status page. It still says "Secondary Application Complete."

I've been on hold since December. Does sending updates help get people interviews?

I was complete, according to their website, on 12/2.

I just received an interview request this morning, 1/13.

California resident, August MCAT.

And the website was updated as soon as I got the email, showing "Selected for Interview."

For those that were complete between november and december (with interview invite), did you also apply to the UCB-UCSF Joint Medical Program (12 additional spaces)?

I guess I am just wondering if they take longer to review these applicants. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if "hold" and "rejection" letters go to your preferred or permanent address? Maybe that's why I haven't heard yet...

diosa428 said:
Does anyone know if "hold" and "rejection" letters go to your preferred or permanent address? Maybe that's why I haven't heard yet...

prefered...

basfan2000 said:
I was complete, according to their website, on 12/2.

I just received an interview request this morning, 1/13.

California resident, August MCAT.

And the website was updated as soon as I got the email, showing "Selected for Interview."

Argh! I was complete in October, August MCAT. I went over there on Thursday and was told my application hasn't gone to committee yet. I wonder if I fell behind someone's desk...

Possibly. They do review everyone's app meticulously.
What I wouldn't give to attend that school...
(my grandpa and dad went there, too! I'd be the first woman in my family...)

gossmer said:
Argh! I was complete in October, August MCAT. I went over there on Thursday and was told my application hasn't gone to committee yet. I wonder if I fell behind someone's desk...

Maybe that's what happened to me too... I sent in an update letter in Dec, I'm wondering if they didn't pull me out of the pile and put me back in w/the ppl complete in Dec....

nikibean said:

Nic

i got my pre-interview hold on dec. 27th. how long after you got the hold did you get the rejection?

i know i'm giving myself false hope about an acceptance. i got got 2 LOR and a friend of mine who is currently a 2nd year at UCSF to write me a letter. this waiting sucks.

nikibean said:

Nic

i got my pre-interview hold on dec. 27th. how long after you got the hold did you get the rejection?

i know i'm giving myself false hope about an acceptance. i got 2 LORs from docs and a friend of mine who is currently a 2nd year at UCSF to write me a letter. this waiting sucks.

not sure if this helps, b/c i think you are talking about interviews and i heard about my interview very quickly after submitting my secondary, but i can tell you for secondaries they said 3-10 weeks and i got my secondary on the very last day of the 10th week after my AMCAS was received. way to string me along...!

diosa428 said:

The admissions committee is supposed to meet around this time. By the time I interview (12/12), the committee for December had already met. Also, the committee consists of like 15 people, so if one of your interviewers happens to not be there for that session, you're pushed. It sucks I know, but what can you do.

thatgirl 84 said:
The admissions committee is supposed to meet around this time. By the time I interview (12/12), the committee for December had already met. Also, the committee consists of like 15 people, so if one of your interviewers happens to not be there for that session, you're pushed. It sucks I know, but what can you do.

Thx for your reply, but I'm not waiting post-interview, I'm waiting post-secondary! And I still haven't heard... :( Maybe I should just suck it up and call. Does anyone know if the UCSF ppl are nice on the phone?

There's a woman named Lindsey who works in the office, and she's very very kind. I've called at 4:45 on a Friday before to check on my file, and she offered to look it up for me.
There's also another woman, don't know her name, but she's very knowledgable.
No harm in asking...

And I had the same experience as 2010MD regarding my secondary.

As to last year after being "on hold" to interview - I heard/was rejected in late March.

Hope that helps.
:luck:

How do you all know if you are put on hold, because my application has been complete for like 4 months with no decision whatsoever?

I was barely complete a few weeks ago and was rejected today. So you're probably on hold....

Good luck!

FutureDoc2005 said:
How do you all know if you are put on hold, because my application has been complete for like 4 months with no decision whatsoever?

I think they send a letter that says you've been put on hold, but I still haven't gotten anything :confused:

diosa428 said:
I think they send a letter that says you've been put on hold, but I still haven't gotten anything :confused:

Check your status. They didn't send me a letter last year. It was in the status. If you get a letter in the mail from UCSF post-secondary, it's *NOT* a good sign. You want to pray for NO MAIL from them. Just an email. A happy email that beckons you...

Well, I called, and they said that it takes a while to process all the applications, blah blah blah. And then I gave her my amcas id and she checked and said the same thing about it taking a while to process the applications.... so i guess maybe my application just hasn't been reviewed yet? or maybe they sent something in the mail and just didn't want to tell me....

nikibean - are you saying that the status page changes when you're put on hold? or were you saying that i should call and check my status? b/c my status page still says that my secondary has been received and it will take "up to eight weeks" for it to be reviewed (going on 11 now...).

If you get rejected or put on hold, your status on the webpage does NOT change (only states that your secondary is complete).

If you get an interview, then your status changes stating that on the webpage. You also get an email.

But do you get a letter if you're on hold? Or should I just assume I'm on hold because I haven't heard? This is so confusing...

Do they review CA applicants faster than out of state applicants? I'm out of state...

diosa428 said:

I got an interview invite about that long after I turned in my secondary. Don't lose hope! (I interviewed on 1/12)