Has anyone noticed that your parents are freaking out more about this process???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lydia

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to start a thread for all those parents out there who are so anxious and rooting for their children and for everyone else!

My mom is not just praying for me but for my friends too. I think it is adorable when you have such supportive parents, and I thought it wouldn't be such a bad idea to try and get the parents to post some comments. Some words of wisdom for those of us stressing could be therapeutic. It would be for me atleast.

(This one's for you G!:love: )

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah - those of you with supportive parents (families), please don't take them forgranted!

There's several of us non-trads here (that I know of - maybe more lurking) whose families aren't very pleased with our educational aspirations... we'd love to be in your shoes. :)

My parents are making this process much harder than it needs to be. To be honest, I've been thrilled with the number of interviews I received. But they have been calling me, emailing me about med school to the point that it's a hassle.
For example, I went recently to Berkeley for the UCB-UCSF interview. My first choice. My dad came along. The whole day before my interview, he just kept telling me, "boy, if you got into this program....how great would that be". I couldn't sleep the night before. Luckily the day turned out fine. But since then my dad has been telling me which schools I needed to go to, which is the higher rank school, the better. I have my own idea and preference on my top choice schools, not necessarily based on rank, but my parents have their own idea. I just wish they'd leave me alone! I'm trying to decide what's best for me and everyone else, but my parents are the biggest hinderance to that.:mad: They want me to come home to Kali, but having them close by is not very palatable to me right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm non-trad and lucky enough to have a supportive family.

When I last saw my parents at Xmas I sat them down and explained how the process worked, and they seemed content with that. The evening following my first interview, however, I found I had 10 voice mails from them. When I talked to them I think they were a little miffed that I wasn't planning on relaying every detail of each of my interviews, or calling them after every trip to the mailbox, but I will keep them in the loop (acceptances, final decision, etc.) Since I'm not financially dependent on them, I think the process has been easier than for those whose folks feel that their financial backing gives them a right to have a say in my decisions.

Now my grandparents, aunts, and uncles are another story... ;)

My parents are extremely supportive. So are my grandparents (hell, I'm the first kid or grandkid to even graduate from college). So are my mom's friends from work. And from church.

It's great having all of these people rooting for me to get into med school, but it kind of makes me feel under more pressure because if I don't get in, what then??

I'm sure they'll all be really great and encouraging about it. Most of my mom's friends from work have kids in med/vet/dental school right now, so I've heard a lot of different experiences from them. Also, my mom's best friend has a son who didn't get in the first time around, but finally got in last year, so I feel pretty okay about that now...

Yeah, I like having a good support system.

there's an old thread on this called:

'parents are funny in this process' or something to that effect....

p

My parents seem to be the complete opposite of what people have been describing.

Mine couldn't even name 5 of the nearly 20 schools I've applied to. :mad: Earlier in the year when I was frustrated about not getting anywhere, their reaction was simply a nonchalant- "so what?, you can just apply again, take another year off", I was thinking"WTF!!!!, thanks alot!":mad: :laugh:

It shouldn't really be all that surprising, I mean for most parents it's a dream come true to raise a doctor in the family. Plus they get bragging rights over all their friends. ;)

Ha ha. Bragging rights is bang on - it's, "Hey, look what my genes can do!" or "I sure reared this one up nice and good." That would explain why the do such things as faxing their kid's LOR to friends, business partners and lawyers. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

My parents have been very, very supportive. I tell them what I want (first choice, etc.) and they root (and pray like mad) for it. I consider myself exceptionally blessed.

C.