has anyone shadowed a pharmacist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adorablegod

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
if so, how did you find an opportunity to get to shadow a pharmacist? last year at UT austin i remember LPPA organized something so that ppl could apply to shadow pharmacists, but i was a freshmen back then and couldn't get it. they didn't have it this year..so for other people, how did you get to do it?

Members don't see this ad.

I shadowed my uncle who's a pharmacist. I would ask your family to see if there are any family friends who might let you shadow for a couple days. I would also look into becoming an affiliate member for the student organization called SNPhA (Student National Pharmaceutical Association). You have a lot of opportunities to get to know current pharmacy students and volunteer at different community health fairs. Good luck! :)

if so, how did you find an opportunity to get to shadow a pharmacist? last year at UT austin i remember LPPA organized something so that ppl could apply to shadow pharmacists, but i was a freshmen back then and couldn't get it. they didn't have it this year..so for other people, how did you get to do it?

Well, I walked into an independent pharmacy and asked after talking a little bit.

Members don't see this ad :)

The purpose of shadowing a pharmacist is to get to know a specific field of pharmacy by interacting with the pharmacist and watching what he or she does on daily basis.

If you don't know anyone with personal connections with a pharmacist, You can easily get to know the field of pharmacy by volunteering.

Try volunteering at your local hopsital pharmacy department.

who knows...you might like the field of pharmacy and get a job there.:)

I just walked into Target and told them I was interested in shadowing and that was it. I had to read and sign some HIPAA stuff and then the shadowing started the following weekend.

I shadowed at a fairly large hospital before applying to pharm school, I didn't know anyone there. All I did was call them up, explain my situation, fill out a gob of paperwork, and then show up a day or two later. It was really cool, I went around with the pharmacist when they rounded. It also gave me a lot more to talk about during the interview. If you have work experience, I would try to shadow a pharmacist in a different setting than the one you are accustomed to.

I shadowed my uncle who's a pharmacist. I would ask your family to see if there are any family friends who might let you shadow for a couple days. I would also look into becoming an affiliate member for the student organization called SNPhA (Student National Pharmaceutical Association). You have a lot of opportunities to get to know current pharmacy students and volunteer at different community health fairs. Good luck! :)
Can you tell me more about Student National Pharmaceutical Association?

I definitely recommend trying the family friend route, which is how I got involved in it.

Also, when I spoke with the recruiter at Auburn, he told me I could call/e-mail him if I had any trouble finding a place to shadow, and they would try to get me in touch with someone. So, if there is a pharmacy schools near you, try them.

Yeah, it's a great student organization to get involved with if you have the time. It's the only student organization that allows affiliate members, or pre-pharmacy students to join. I joined the chapter at the only pharmacy school in my state and I've loved every meeting, health fair, and student activity associated with being a member.

I've had the opportunity to shadow P2s and P3s at local health fairs, participating in health screening, and learning how to counsel patients on their blood pressure, bone density, and cholesterol levels. I've also had hands on experience with obtaining patient's blood in order to run a cholesterol test. The organization is all about serving diverse and underserved communities, teaching patients about their health situation and encouraging them to see their doctors. You have to pay a small fee and fill out two applications, but it is definitely worth the money. You also get a lot of experience with counseling, which is a big part of pharmacy school. If you've had other volunteer experience, you can draw upon these rewarding experiences and others in your interview.

It has also been a beneficial organization in getting to know other accepted students and current pharmacy students. I plan on participating in the organization all four years of school. I hope this helps. :)

Can you tell me more about Student National Pharmaceutical Association?

I tried to shadow a pharmacist but the sun kept getting in the way.

Well, I walked into an independent pharmacy and asked after talking a little bit.

same here,
in my experience, chains or hospitals are hesitant to let you shadow for liability reasons. I had a tech license at the time and they still didn't let me b/c since i wasn't being paid, i wasn't insured by the company, and therefore a liability.

try independent pharmacies

I had my pharmacist shadowing twice in CVS, one in Indiana, one in New York City

also shadowing in hospital setting and nuclear pharmacy setting

The hospitals and chains around here wouldn't allow me to shadow, but an independant local pharmacy did let me.