Has anyone thought about going to MBA school AFTER Pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vinny808

ACCEPTED!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The more I think about it, the more excited I am about doing it. I have several reasons for choosing to apply to MBA schools after pharmacy school. (Tailored to pharmeceutical management of course)
1) The Business side of pharmacy always interested me
2) I don't think I can handle the rigor of dual degrees (I want to have some fun, you know?)
3) I don't want to waste my pharmacy electives on MBA classes.
4) I figure after getting a pharmD, I would be more competitive, when applying to the top tier schools, like Columbia. (Please let me know if you think this is true)

Question, I have not taken much business classes besides the minimum. Would that be difficult applying to schools that do not have dual MBA/Pharmacy programs?

Please, give me all the advice you have thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Heh no advice, seeing as I'm starting college this fall, but I am hoping to get an MBA after (hopefully) obtaining a pharmD degree. I've always been interested in business (was planning on majoring in that+bio if I didn't get into a pharm program), plus I think it would allow for more opportunities.

I know personally I'm going to be burnt out after finishing pharmacy school. The last thing I'm gonna want to do is go back to school and take on more debt.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know personally I'm going to be burnt out after finishing pharmacy school. The last thing I'm gonna want to do is go back to school and take on more debt.

I was considering it too, but I feel the same way you do. A dual degree program might be the next best option.

I was considering it too, but I feel the same way you do. A dual degree program might be the next best option.

How difficult do you think dual degrees will be? Basically my pharmacy electives will be filled with MBA courses, and I would have to stay in the summer :(.

Getting mine actually. It's hard, but will be worth it in the long run.

went with the MS Regulatory Science instead of the MBA (at USC)

I'm hoping my wife's business degree will be enough business knowledge for the two of us. I initially thought about pursuing an MBA but my macroeconomics course bored me to tears and derailed that train of thought. ;)
I feel you on that..... I thought I "liked" business until I took econ.:laugh:

I'm hoping my wife's business degree will be enough business knowledge for the two of us. I initially thought about pursuing an MBA but my macroeconomics course bored me to tears and derailed that train of thought. ;)

I actually liked econ. I think the part of business that I do not enjoy is all the accounting and stats crap. I avoid math like I avoid the plague. I should, however, address my phobia at some point.

I actually liked econ. I think the part of business that I do not enjoy is all the accounting and stats crap. I avoid math like I avoid the plague. I should, however, address my phobia at some point.

I kinda like econ too...but I think it's that my teacher makes it interesting. The whole class is attentive, no one is sleep or drifting off in space. If it weren't for this teacher, I think I'd find it slightly boring.

I also thought about doing the dual degree with MBA but I will decide once I'm in pharmacy school and I see how I handle that first.

i so wanna do an MBA....however, I am really sad I didn't figure this out before I started college. Since I am in a 0-6 year school...i don't get a bachelors degree ever. My plan was to do some of the MBA online program during summers at pharm school but I can't because I don't have a bachelor's degree...anyone else have this prob? anyway to solve this? like you think if I tell them i am a 5th year they might except me into an MBA prog or do I have to wait til I graduate...i really don't want to wait that long.

I love math, I plan on getting my MBA in Finance

And before anyone considers getting a MBA in Management, take some undergrad courses in it first. I have had 15 credits in management and not only is it not what you expect, but its about the driest class you will ever take. I dispised those courses and that was originally what I wanted to go for

Members don't see this ad :)
went with the MS Regulatory Science instead of the MBA (at USC)

Sorry if this question is stupid, but can you explain to me the major differences between these two areas of study? I was thinking about doing the joint PharmD/MBA degree program, but not really sure if it's the right path for me.

Which leads me to why I would like to pursue an MBA... I absolutely LOVED economics. I received A+'s in both macro & micro (yes, my undergrad offered A+'s). I believe myself to be extremely business savvy and, with my science background, was hoping that an MBA would be beneficial to me in the future (in ways I have yet to figure out).

I love math, I plan on getting my MBA in Finance

And before anyone considers getting a MBA in Management, take some undergrad courses in it first. I have had 15 credits in management and not only is it not what you expect, but its about the driest class you will ever take. I dispised those courses and that was originally what I wanted to go for

This is what I am afraid of... I am no longer an undergrad, starting P1 at UF this fall.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

My school offers a PharmD/MBA, however I am considering getting the MBA separately. The dual degree would take 5 years to complete ... and I am paying out of state tuition. So it might actually be cheaper for me to get it separately from an in-state school after I get the PharmD. Still exploring this one ...

Before anyone pursues MBA on top of your PharmD, you need to think the reasons why you are pursuing MBA. To have just these extra 3 letters after your name is too expensive. If you want to do hospital administration, work for PBM, pharma, corporate management, the degree might be useful. If you don't know what you want to do, it might be better to finish your Pharmd, work a little, and figure out what exactly you want.

By the way, econ classes are completely different from business classes. I loved my econ classes, when I took business classes I found them extremely boring and too common sense.

Anybody thought about MPH (Master of Public Health)?

That sounds cool to me!

Like some of the above posters have stated, getting an MBA just to have an MBA is a waste of time and money. I have two business degrees and I thought about getting an MBA, but unless you have a particular reason (i.e. career change, career advancement) you should think twice before committing the time and resources necessary to obtain an MBA. In addition, not all MBA programs are created equal and if you want to get value out of your degree focus on the top 20 business schools.

Thought #1: I highly doubt anyone here wants an MBA for the fun of it. If we want a PharmD/MBA then that's because we want to go into the business side of pharmacy. Not every pharmacist wants to work with patients, some of us see more money and stability in working for the proverbial PBM "enemy" than standing behind a counter all day feeling powerless against them. It's insulting to say that we just want the 3 letters after our name ... no, we just want options and we want to be the boss you complain about on here someday lol.

Thought #2: you don't need to go to a Top 20 biz school. You are primarily a PharmD who happens to be able to develop cost-benefit analyses in addition to being knowledgeable on the science side. You are not an MBA first - you are a PharmD first. Therefore, you are not competing against Wharton MBAs for the job --- you are competing against other PharmDs. Maybe in 20 years it will matter, but not now.

IMHO it is definitely worth it to pursue an PharmD and a MBA degree whether it be joint or separate. I am actually doing it in reverse because I obtained my MBA first and now am pursuing my PharmD. As Janeno mentioned, you should have a particular career path in your mind before you decide to obtain both of these degrees. I currently work in the corporate environment for "America's pharmacy" (lol) and it definitely will pay off having my MBA as well as my PharmD.

I have an MBA and am going back to school to pursue a PharmD. I think the business side of pharmacy is fascinating and becoming more and more important, especiallly with all the reforms going on and the fact that society is getting older and will start requiring additional healthcare, including prescriptions and hospitalizations.

Healthcare providers and companies are definitely going to start seeing the value of having pharmacists with business education and experience.

So if you think having an MBA will give you an edge, go for it. I enjoyed my MBA education and felt that it does give me a bit of an edge in terms of seeing "the big picture" of how a business runs and conducts its operations.

Does anyone know about the benefits of PharmD/MPH program?