Has anyone who recently taken the mcat got a score above their practice scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tqtraq

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone take the MCAT in 2014 and ended up doing better than any of their practice scores? If so, how did you feel about it during and after the test - did it feel easier or on par with the rest of your practice test ?

Members don't see this ad.

Averaging ~32 on my AAMCs (3-10). PS/VR/BS averaged at 9/12/10. I plateaued at around 30/31 for two months, but towards the last couple weeks I scored 33 / 34 on 8 / 9. I spent most of my efforts raising PS, my weakest section, to scoring 11 consistently.

I took the oct 21 administration with the crazy PS section. I was rattled and felt like I had scored 6-9. I almost voided, but you spend way too much time and effort leading up to the test that it felt like a waste.

36 on the real thing (11/13/12) so it can be done!

Just figured a good selection would be better than one or two successes.

I was averaging a 31 on AAMC's (took all of them) with a high of 34 (AAMC 4) and a low of 28 (AAMC 7, first test I took). My last three practices were 32 on AAMC 8 (12/10/10), 31 on AAMC 10 (10/11/10) and a 32 on AAMC 11 (11/11/10). So, I was feeling very good about my chances. Averaged an 11 in PS, and never scored below a 10. Averaged a 10.5 in verbal and never scored below a 10. Averaged a 9.5 in BS and never scored below an 8.

Real MCAT on October 21st: 27 (9/9/9)

The PS section was brutal, and it really shook me for the rest of the exam. Lesson learned: Don't let one difficult section throw you for the rest of the test. Also, don't be putting an "all-or-none" approach to your exam date.

I took GS #1 the day after I got my score (so a month and four days of no studying) and scored a 31 (12/8/11). Their verbal is a fluke, so I was encouraged. I then took a Kaplan 2013 FL and scored a 34 (10/12/12).

The moral of the story from me to you is this: Don't hedge your bets on anything anyone says on here. There are so many different factors playing into how great your score will be. It's not only how you do on practice tests. Take them for what they're worth: good review.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just figured a good selection would be better than one or two successes.

I was averaging a 31 on AAMC's (took all of them) with a high of 34 (AAMC 4) and a low of 28 (AAMC 7, first test I took). My last three practices were 32 on AAMC 8 (12/10/10), 31 on AAMC 10 (10/11/10) and a 32 on AAMC 11 (11/11/10). So, I was feeling very good about my chances. Averaged an 11 in PS, and never scored below a 10. Averaged a 10.5 in verbal and never scored below a 10. Averaged a 9.5 in BS and never scored below an 8.

Real MCAT on October 21st: 27 (9/9/9)

The PS section was brutal, and it really shook me for the rest of the exam. Lesson learned: Don't let one difficult section throw you for the rest of the test. Also, don't be putting an "all-or-none" approach to your exam date.

I took GS #1 the day after I got my score (so a month and four days of no studying) and scored a 31 (12/8/11). Their verbal is a fluke, so I was encouraged. I then took a Kaplan 2013 FL and scored a 34 (10/12/12).

The moral of the story from me to you is this: Don't hedge your bets on anything anyone says on here. There are so many different factors playing into how great your score will be. It's not only how you do on practice tests. Take them for what they're worth: good review.

Why do you think the PS was so brutal? I'm guessing the passages were dense, but even if you dont get the gist of the passage, can't you jump straight to the questions and answer most of them from there? My mcat is this saturday so any advice for the ps would help

Why do you think the PS was so brutal? I'm guessing the passages were dense, but even if you dont get the gist of the passage, can't you jump straight to the questions and answer most of them from there? My mcat is this saturday so any advice for the ps would help

I'm going to have to stay away from specifics, but basically throw the "high-yield" and "low-yield" categories out of the window. It was stuff that I would have never expected to be more than 1 question that comprised all 52 questions. There was even a question I was convinced was straight from high-school algebra.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm going to have to stay away from specifics, but basically throw the "high-yield" and "low-yield" categories out of the window. It was stuff that I would have never expected to be more than 1 question that comprised all 52 questions. There was even a question I was convinced was straight from high-school algebra.

Hmm, I'm not sure what you mean by throwing away high yield and low yield categories. And wow, all 52 questions felt "foreign" to you? But like I said, if you do a lot of practice tests, the majority of the questions can be answered by just looking at the questions and quickly glancing to the passage to get information. Is this not the case? I'm not trying to draw specific questions from you but just knowing the general approach to the physical science section.

What I'm saying is every traditional category you'd expect to be in the PS section wasn't really in there. It was comprised completely of all of the "less-tested" categories. And no, you can't just look at the questions. It was much, much different than the practice tests. I don't know how, other than that it was just hard. I'd love to give you more pointers and specifics. Then I'd be much more able to relay across what I mean. I can't, though. Good luck!

What I'm saying is every traditional category you'd expect to be in the PS section wasn't really in there. It was comprised completely of all of the "less-tested" categories. And no, you can't just look at the questions. It was much, much different than the practice tests. I don't know how, other than that it was just hard. I'd love to give you more pointers and specifics. Then I'd be much more able to relay across what I mean. I can't, though. Good luck!

Thanks for the heads up, hopefully I'll be able to adjust when I'm taking it this saturday.

I scored above my average, but I only took AAMC 3 and 9 (average of 30), so take all this with a large grain of salt.

During breaks, I made a point to wipe the previous section from my memory and be my own cheerleader, as inane as that sounds. I totally told myself stuff like Well that's over, and you're going to do great on the next section. :clap:

I took the 10/25 test and felt that the PS was a little weird, verbal was easy, and BS had a confusing experimental passage I started zoning out while reading. Specifically, I thought the PS was more conceptual and less calculation-based than what I had practiced. It didn't feel more difficult, just unexpected to the point I felt like I had a 50-50 chance of getting a lot of questions right. That is all I remember about my test (see: wiping my memory). It was kind of nice because I didn't even have the option of freaking out and looking up answers after the test. Ended up with a 34 (11P/12V/11B). Good luck and bring earplugs! :headphone:

Scored slightly below average but easily could have scored higher had I
1) Not missed all 3 of the questions I was 50/50 on (I guessed wrong each time)
2) Did not panic during verbal

Hey OP, here's my experience. I want to point out.. this may not be a GREAT score for some of the peeps here on SDN, but I am extremely happy with it. Keep in mind the nation average last year for ALL MCAT takers was a 25. So I did above average-ish...
It's good enough for me to apply to the programs I will be applying to and will get in!

Test Date: 09/04/14
Time: 8:00 AM
FL AAMC Average: (AAMC 3 = 21, AAMC 4 = 19, AAMC 5 = 20, AAMC 7 = 23, AAMC 8 = 21, AAMC 9 = 26 , AAMC 10 = 22, AAMC 11 = 23)

My average was 21.875.

Actual score:
PS= 8, V = 9, and BS= 10 ----> 27.

Honestly, just don't panic (French Montana Voice).

If I knew the question, I circled the answer and moved on. If I didn't, then I marked the question and put down what I thought it was after cancelling some of the other choices out. Idk how I jumped almost 6 points above my AAMC average. I believe it was a mixture of luck and being in the zone at the same time. The human body is an amazing machine man. Some stuff just clicks when you least expect it to.

I really wish I would have taken a prep course or something though. Also make sure u buy the actual computer based exam... don't try to take it on a separate piece of paper like I did. I tried followed the SN2ed method and some of it did work but for me, it was about content and practice. Content and practice. Some of the most basic stuff I overlooked ended up showing on my MCAT because I tried to focus on the intricate details. Just study as much as you can and everything will fall into place. good luck!