Has your spending habits changed during this economy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nucrx2003

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just read an article of how folks who are doing well financially are cutting back on their spending even though they really don't have to because they are doing very well financially. Some people have canceled their vacation to someplace nice like Europe and stayed closer to home as an alternative. Some have cut back on dining out. I guess psychologically one feels compelled to hold back although financially the economy has not affected them at all because of the recession.

I think being a pharmacist we fit in this group. Speaking for myself I don't think I have cut back that much but I have cut back some. I was never a big spender to begin with, but I did buy a house when they rates were really low back in 2005 and this past Thanksgiving I bought a new car. In becoming a homeowner I'm more conscience of each paycheck due to the mortgage and utilities taking a bigger chunk from my bank account than the effect of the economy. Subconsciously when I see CNN or some news channel of major companies in financial limbo (GM, Circuit city, Ford etc..) seeing so many jobs being layed off, I'm thinking heck I might be next in the back of my head. So it has made me think to cut back some. Also seeing my 401K and Mutual funds take a hit has affected my spending behavior watching the Dow sink along with my Nest egg. Despite this, I still contribute the max amount I can each year because I'm thinking long term and am riding this out. I just don't do any spontaneous purchases as much anymore shopping like a new Xbox game or something frivolous.

I'm interested in hearing on anyone's current experience. Are you making more money now than say 6 months ago and cutting back/spending more, spending the same? If so what's your thinking on your spending habit? The economy, the media portrayal of the economy? Have you canceled that big vacation? How about you pharmacy students. Are you guys going to go out and get that BMW right after graduation or are you going to stay more grounded because of the economic climate? By the way P4s, congrats on making it this far you're almost done. I wish you all success.

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend you invest some of that hard earned money on grammar lessons....

lol...

I thought SDN had autocorrect:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I would recommend you invest some of that hard earned money on grammar lessons....
It isn't that bad! You can read it, right? Sometimes we have posts that you can't even read...

As for the economy- yes; I cut back... urrrr... have become more creative. :p I'm thrifty as all ****, and if I can avoid spending extra money without doing injustice to myself, I will. Take last night for example: I used a B1G1 coupon to buy two frozen drinks. :D I also tipped 60% on the bill, because I saved 60% off the top. :p The barmaid was happy, I was happy, so it all worked out!

I'm picking up 2 tickets to a local, nationally recognized, music festival tonight @ $15.00 off/ticket. :D (It equates to about 38% off.)

I would never, ever buy a new car if I had enough cash to buy used. IMO, an older, classic sportscar is way sexier than a new sportscar. :love:

I'm living on borrowed money. My budget is $75/week it always has been, and will be until all of this fake money we are printing drives up inflation so much that I can no longer live on it.

Living in a place with a intricate busing system has afforded me the opportunity to not drive as often. I eat in; a bowl of pasta at home is much cheaper than one from Olive Garden. I generally only have two lights on at a time: a small light in the kitchen and where I am my apartment. Recently, the weather has been pretty decent so I keep the windows open and turn on the fan. I've unplugged most of my electronics aside from the ones I use on a daily basis. I'd share a shower with someone if the opportunity arises.

There are a lot of seemingly miniscule things that a household can do to ease their living costs. It's just a matter of finding out where a lot of your money goes and see what alternatives are available. Heh. :)

nope not at all...i have a brand new jaguar, dell laptop, and a 7 bedroom 4 bathroom house that i bought a month ago....this is the life

It isn't that bad! You can read it, right? Sometimes we have posts that you can't even read...

Barely. I am not the perfect grammarian, but for a professional to write like that is appalling. Reading that was like listening to a bunch of valley girls. Like, really....

Barely. I am not the perfect grammarian, but for a professional to write like that is appalling. Reading that was like listening to a bunch of valley girls. Like, really....
I don't think it's so much the grammar as opposed to the structure of the text that has me going, "eh?"

Nope. I make the same now as I did before the economy went south. Like ya know what I mean OldTimer?

In fact my wife just got a new job and a 5% raise. I am going to spend even more!!!!

Nope. I make the same now as I did before the economy went south. Like ya know what I mean OldTimer?

In fact my wife just got a new job and a 5% raise. I am going to spend even more!!!!
Donate to the fhx06 Pharmacy School Fund?

I don't think it's so much the grammar as opposed to the structure of the text that has me going, "eh?"

Has your spending habits changed????

I think being a pharmacist we fit in this group

In becoming a homeowner????

jobs being layed off, (Gee I thought that happened to people not jobs)

My kids wrote better than this when they were in high school.

Like, totally awesome, dude.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Has your spending habits changed????

I think being a pharmacist we fit in this group

In becoming a homeowner????

jobs being layed off, (Gee I thought that happened to people not jobs)

My kids wrote better than this when they were in high school.
Okay, fine, I agree. I think I've gotten used to reading past grammatical errors. There are a lot of people who are unable to write at the college level despite being in college. I have quite a few friends who have very poor writing skills... and in the words of one of them: "that's why there are editor people."

no not for me

the money i make: i save a lil, pay my bills, and rest left is for me to enjoy life....so for me everything is status quo

I have employed many money saving tips in these trying times. Feel free to use any of them.

1. I have put off buying new socks until the holes in the old ones reach three inches in diameter.

2. I have put off routine service on my 1999 vehicle with the plan of "one day" buying a new car. My 10k mile oil change is coming up.

3. I canceled the newspaper and just browse one of the copies at work during my three minute lunch break.

I have employed many money saving tips in these trying times. Feel free to use any of them.

1. I have put off buying new socks until the holes in the old ones reach three inches in diameter.

2. I have put off routine service on my 1999 vehicle with the plan of "one day" buying a new car. My 10k mile oil change is coming up.

3. I canceled the newspaper and just browse one of the copies at work during my three minute lunch break.

How much can you save with that?? Not buying socks?? That is just too much. If people really want to save, cut off cable/internet. Use coupons for groceries. No going out to eat, see movies, etc..etc..

How much can you save with that?? Not buying socks?? That is just too much. If people really want to save, cut off cable/internet. Use coupons for groceries. No going out to eat, see movies, etc..etc..

Now we have gone past a debate about money and caromed off into the realm of values. That is a bad place to be around here.....

Of course, anyone can tell you that the internet saves you money. For 15-40 dollars (depending on your speed), not only do you get unlimited e-mails, informations, unlimited contact with your social group, entertainment, but also better deals online in almost everything.

It looks like you changed your font habits....

Of course, anyone can tell you that the internet saves you money. For 15-40 dollars (depending on your speed), not only do you get unlimited e-mails, informations, unlimited contact with your social group, entertainment, but also better deals online in almost everything.

Well...I guess I was just thinking of people I know. Their cable/internet bills run over $200 every month and cell phone bill around $200. I didn't mean to say cut it off completely, but to just get the basic plans.

Nope, I've been spending MOAR. I went for an upgrade on a car from a Honda Accord to a Volkswagen CC and immediately added an ECU chip to it. Added unlimited texting to my cell phone plan (which financially makes sense because if I didn't add unlimited texting, it would have cost me around $150 extra on top of the phone bill for around an average of 700-900 text messages/month. Yeah...my girlfriend likes to text message.)