Have an interview scheduled for remote Cigna staff pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Where do you work at?!
Retail. Trying to get into a similar role as OP. How about you?

Members don't see this ad.

Hospital for 9+ years and loving it
Niceee. What kind of resources did you use for the patient consultation position vs hospital? Is it just the usual like lexicomp and micromedex?

Niceee. What kind of resources did you use for the patient consultation position vs hospital? Is it just the usual like lexicomp and micromedex?
same sources, along with facts and comparisons and clinical pharmacology. Good luck finding a job like the OP. I hated it almost as much as retail. I don't work well in corporate types of atmospheres with metrics, that's why I love hospital! I am never leaving hospital until I die

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
QUALITY of life outweighs pay for me personally ANY DAY

Reactions: 2 users
same sources, along with facts and comparisons and clinical pharmacology. Good luck finding a job like the OP. I hated it almost as much as retail. I don't work well in corporate types of atmospheres with metrics, that's why I love hospital! I am never leaving hospital until I die

See, I hate hospital pharmacy. I can never deal with the politics.

OPs job, I wouldn’t mind at all. Just leave me in my corner and let me work, especially if it’s from home.

It’s all about perspective.

See, I hate hospital pharmacy. I can never deal with the politics.

OPs job, I wouldn’t mind at all. Just leave me in my corner and let me work, especially if it’s from home.

It’s all about perspective.
What pharmacy setting do you work in?

What kind of questions do patients ask? Are the answers easy to find or is there anything complicated or related to pharmacokinetics? I don’t recall any PK lol

What kind of questions do patients ask? Are the answers easy to find or is there anything complicated or related to pharmacokinetics? I don’t recall any PK lol
It was easy to me but that’s bc I’m a fast learner and excellent on the keyboard. You can refer to my previous replies to this thread for what questions patients ask.

Last edited:
I wonder why the OP is so quiet. He must be hating the job already LOL. Patients will ask how long does a medication stay in his/her system so you will need to look that up regarding kinetics.
Do you have to calculate half life or do you go by the 5 half lives rule to get an idea of how long it takes to be eliminated?

Lmaoooo I assumed OP might be busy trying to learn. I hope he doesnt hate it already 😩

• Haha
Update as of April 1: I’m sitting at home around 10 :30 pm and get a text message from the cigna recruiter informing me of an update and that I was offered the position for a work from home patient consultation staff pharmacist position . Pay is $52 per hour . I thanked the recruiter for the opportunity and expressed excitement about this new role but also asked if they could bring me up a few $$ more per hour and she said unfortunately not because the company sticks to certain salary ranges depending on the geographic location . Oh well- I tried . I’ll have my choice of schedule from 5 different choices - the best choice for me is 10:30 am until 7 pm on Monday, Tuesday , Thursday, Friday and 4 hours on Saturday and Sunday on week 1. Week 2 is simply Monday to Friday from 10:30 am till 7 pm with no weekend . Soooo…that’s it - after 9 years and 2 months in retail , I’m out . I will provide my current employer with 10 days notice . Today is April 1/2 and my last shift will be the 12 . After that, I will take a trip to France or elsewhere in Europe for a few days and be back before the 25th of April when training begins .
Hey DoctorRx1986! I realize you may not see this as it's an old thread but wanted to chat with you regarding how you marketed your resume to suit this position. I'm currently trying to get out of retail as well with 7 years experience. I've applied for some positions like yours but haven't gotten any callbacks. Any tips/help would be appreciated to help increase my marketability!

Do you have to calculate half life or do you go by the 5 half lives rule to get an idea of how long it takes to be eliminated?

Lmaoooo I assumed OP might be busy trying to learn. I hope he doesnt hate it already 😩
I just look on clinical pharmacology and tell them it takes such and such time for half of the med to eliminated from the body. I sure hope he doesn't hate it already too. I am sure there are pharmacists out there who love this kind of job where there is no physical movement involved, therefore no standing all day like in retail. It's like a cubicle that you sit in and just talk to patients all day long. It can be exhausting mentally at times but definitely not physically.

There's a position for the same job OP has for Cigna in Tempe, Arizona right now. You should apply!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just look on clinical pharmacology and tell them it takes such and such time for half of the med to eliminated from the body. I sure hope he doesn't hate it already too. I am sure there are pharmacists out there who love this kind of job where there is no physical movement involved, therefore no standing all day like in retail. It's like a cubicle that you sit in and just talk to patients all day long. It can be exhausting mentally at times but definitely not physically.

I mean, honestly most days if not every day for me, I forget all about it the moment I log out. Retail follows you and you become a zombie even after work.

Reactions: 1 users
What if the patient isnt satisfied with just the half life and they want to know how long it takes for the full amount to be eliminated? Is that just 4-5 half lives? I can’t recall 🤣

Hey, guys, I’m back . Training officially ended today after 6 weeks Monday to Friday . The amount of information thrown at us was ridiculous and their computer systems/software appear to be more complicated than retail pharmacy . We took live calls these last two weeks with supervision/guidance of the trainers and it wasn’t too bad at all. I can tell I will like this job because it seems pretty easy and chill ONCE YOU LEARN THE SYSTEMS. They use many programs such as “rumba/mainframe” , “TMW”, “ESD” and there are a million and one procedures , protocols , steps to follow . It’s honestly overwhelming. However, I know once I get a handle on all these systems and commit to heart the procedures the job will be cake to me and I can see myself in this position for years . As of tomorrow we all go “live” taking calls and do our own thing . I’m feeling scared/apprehensive but it is what it is . Hopefully with the foundation/training we have received over the last six weeks we’ll be able to put everything together and reach the point where things are routine . Of the six of us , one person quit today on the last day of training . Don’t ask me why because I don’t know . Here’s hoping for the best !

Different types of transfers meaning rerouting the call to someone else, or transfer of rx refill from pharmacist to pharmacist?

Is there any order verification, or are you strictly answering questions? Basically, do you need to remember laws or is it more drug info based? Hang in there, I’m the type to be super nervous before a new job but don’t give up! Everyone starts somewhere, I’m sure they understand. Did your trainers assure you that you’ll be fine?
Not all transfers in mail order are standard routine transfers like in retail . A prescription may be in the front end pharmacy being processed , may be in the backend and cannot be transferred out right away , etc . It’s more complicated than retail procedures .

Hey, guys, I’m back . Training officially ended today after 6 weeks Monday to Friday . The amount of information thrown at us was ridiculous and their computer systems/software appear to be more complicated than retail pharmacy . We took live calls these last two weeks with supervision/guidance of the trainers and it wasn’t too bad at all. I can tell I will like this job because it seems pretty easy and chill ONCE YOU LEARN THE SYSTEMS. They use many programs such as “rumba/mainframe” , “TMW”, “ESD” and there are a million and one procedures , protocols , steps to follow . It’s honestly overwhelming. However, I know once I get a handle on all these systems and commit to heart the procedures the job will be cake to me and I can see myself in this position for years . As of tomorrow we all go “live” taking calls and do our own thing . I’m feeling scared/apprehensive but it is what it is . Hopefully with the foundation/training we have received over the last six weeks we’ll be able to put everything together and reach the point where things are routine . Of the six of us , one person quit today on the last day of training . Don’t ask me why because I don’t know . Here’s hoping for the best !
Hey buddy!! I was just thinking of you today and how your training should be almost done. I’m so happy to hear that you like it!! Are you concerned at all that you might not know the answer to certain things? Softwares freak me out too but hopefully it will all get easier for you!

Wow, do you have that person’s phone number or contact info? I wonder why they quit. Maybe they found a different/“better” job or maybe they were overwhelmed and afraid of failure 😞

Oh ya, what are the medical benefits like? Any good?

Not all transfers in mail order are standard routine transfers like in retail . A prescription may be in the front end pharmacy being processed , may be in the backend and cannot be transferred out right away , etc . It’s more complicated than retail procedures .
this sounds crazy and absurd to me but i guess i just have to take your word for it.

Do they do WOW for recognition or is it called something else at Cigna?

Update us OP!!! Hope you’ve been doing well!

• Love
OP doesn't care about us any more sadly, even though I answered his questions thoroughly. I am sad.

• Haha
OP doesn't care about us any more sadly, even though I answered his questions thoroughly. I am sad.
Haha, I feel sad too. Wonder why he disappeared. Is he stressed out? 😔

• Hmm
NOT True. He was last seen yesterday based on his profile so definitely ignoring us.

DoctorRx1986​

10+ Year Member
Full Member · From Florida
Joined Feb 11, 2008
Last seen Yesterday at 11:50 PM
Remember how I said I found hospital pharmacy clicky and catty? Yeah…

• Dislike
Hey, guys , I have been on and off the site but ,yes, I definitely like the job . Like Hieun mentioned in one of the posts above the majority of calls are repetitive in nature and once you have taken a few you know how to proceed with that same type of call . There are plenty of informational sources to refer to when you need help handling a certain type of call and the SME line is always at your disposal if you get stuck . It’s really chill in comparison to retail . I get my two fifteen minute breaks , my thirty minute lunch and get off when I need to . Also , it is nice to have a “bank “ of pto hours available since day 1 instead of having to earn it by working and accruing hours . I was offered 18 days of PTO to start with and informed since I was hired after January 1 I wouldn’t get the 18 for just this year but that I would be pro-rated and I’ve started off with 12 days . Let me tell you the 12 days has really come in handy because unexpectedly I contracted covid (tell me the irony that I served the public in retail all throughout the pandemic, travelled , and never contracted anything) and had a 100.5-102 degree fever for 1.5 days along with a light cough and had to call out two days . I’m fine now except for this nagging cough . But no biggie since I have the hours to get paid for those two days . In retail at only two months into the job you would barely have enough pto to cover an absence or two . Hieun, the company is tracking metrics to see how we are doing and I’m doing well so far with regards to taking care of the caller’s main issue/problem, referring them to the survey , professionalism , etc . The only one which seems tough is what they call the “ACW” - after call work/wrap- the goal is 20 seconds or less . Mine was 51 seconds and yet one of the leads told me that’s not too bad at all and will only get better with time . I’m feeling more confident on these calls day by day . The only thing that sucks is that I had to miss 2 days this week to recover from covid fever /malaise . I was not planning on losing a day or two in a new job but I had no choice because I felt ill. I do notice the company encourages employees to use their time off and relax etc which is great . I’m truly looking forward to settling down more and more in this new job until it becomes routine . One thing I do notice on calls is that the PCAs are not always clear about what the caller wants and you end up on some call that is not intended for you . But anyway so far so good 😊

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Hey, guys , I have been on and off the site but ,yes, I definitely like the job . Like Hieun mentioned in one of the posts above the majority of calls are repetitive in nature and once you have taken a few you know how to proceed with that same type of call . There are plenty of informational sources to refer to when you need help handling a certain type of call and the SME line is always at your disposal if you get stuck . It’s really chill in comparison to retail . I get my two fifteen minute breaks , my thirty minute lunch and get off when I need to . Also , it is nice to have a “bank “ of pto hours available since day 1 instead of having to earn it by working and accruing hours . I was offered 18 days of PTO to start with and informed since I was hired after January 1 I wouldn’t get the 18 for just this year but that I would be pro-rated and I’ve started off with 12 days . Let me tell you the 12 days has really come in handy because unexpectedly I contracted covid (tell me the irony that I served the public in retail all throughout the pandemic, travelled , and never contracted anything) and had a 100.5-102 degree fever for 1.5 days along with a light cough and had to call out two days . I’m fine now except for this nagging cough . But no biggie since I have the hours to get paid for those two days . In retail at only two months into the job you would barely have enough pto to cover an absence or two . Hieun, the company is tracking metrics to see how we are doing and I’m doing well so far with regards to taking care of the caller’s main issue/problem, referring them to the survey , professionalism , etc . The only one which seems tough is what they call the “ACW” - after call work/wrap- the goal is 20 seconds or less . Mine was 51 seconds and yet one of the leads told me that’s not too bad at all and will only get better with time . I’m feeling more confident on these calls day by day . The only thing that sucks is that I had to miss 2 days this week to recover from covid fever /malaise . I was not planning on losing a day or two in a new job but I had no choice because I felt ill. I do notice the company encourages employees to use their time off and relax etc which is great . I’m truly looking forward to settling down more and more in this new job until it becomes routine . One thing I do notice on calls is that the PCAs are not always clear about what the caller wants and you end up on some call that is not intended for you . But anyway so far so good 😊
So sorry to hear you were sick with covid. That’s definitely ironic 🤣🤣🤣🤣 glad they also encourage you prioritizing your health.

I know someone who said they got hired but they feel overwhelmed at all the information. So many resources, links, different softwares. Rumba is always giving some sort of issues he cant work through. Its only week one training that finished though so maybe that will improve with time? He says hes also anxious about bugging the smes too often haha

• Love
Are you feeling more comfortable in your role now? :)

I hope someone else told you this: you should be wrapping during the call. Keep the caller on a little longer to finish your documentation.

OP, Any updates on your job? Do you find a lot of people staying in this role or moving on to new opportunities in the company? What are the hours/ schedule like for new hires? Thanks!

Why did alpha12 and grumpyrph get banned? Two more long time members gone.

congratulation! happy to see someone take a little step toward job satisfaction. I have been a pharmacist for over 36 years. Never seen anything like what we have now. In 1998, I would laugh and then reject $50/hr AND did at one point! Thankfully, I was recently hired for a hospital job. The HR recruiter asked me on the phone why I had put down $55/hr and I said because the current job market is dictating that. She said oh no! With my 20 yrs of experience, I am at $68. I said, go to page 3 on my resume, I have 36 yrs, she said well, then it would be $74/hr. And plus shift and weekend differential I make about $80/hr. $169K a year. I would have taken $55!!!!!!!!!!!! I work 7on-7off, work 70, get paid for 80. This is in GA, at the largest Hospital system in the SE. In an area with the lowest cost of living.
Whoa that’s awesome. That’s my goal. Unfortunately I’m learning my loyalty to my grocery store pharmacy is costing my. 13 years I’ve been with them and I feel like all the hospitals are passing up my resume. I keep applying to any/all that I see.

May I ask how the job search was for you? And how the transition was for you? And have you seen/gotten raises since? I was given a meager total of $5 total for the 13 years I’ve been with my company. But I’m seeing hospital pharmacists, even if they were hired on lower than retail, they’re salaries aren’t stagnant like ours.

I’m just hanging on as best I can and hopefully I can get a foot in the door with hospital.

From what I’ve gathered here from people who have made the jump to hospital: look for a prn hospital gig. Once you’re in, perform well and wait for a full time gig to open up.