Have an interview scheduled for remote Cigna staff pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorRx1986

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys . Just wanted to share that in my efforts to escape retail pharmacy after nine years I’ve been looking for new jobs for about five weeks or so . I’ve had one interview so far with CVS specialty pharmacy and that is still pending . Now I have one scheduled with Cigna for a staff pharmacist patient consultation position with express scripts from home . I’m very excited about this new possibility and the prospect of working from home . Does anyone here have any idea how much Cigna pays their pharmacists ? I have seen very broad ranges listed on their site from $49 to $81 per hour . Please provide any insights or feedback if you have any. Thank you .

Members don't see this ad.

i hear many of these types of jobs are 1 year contracts. Did you look into that?

i hear many of these types of jobs are 1 year contracts. Did you look into that?
I have not but the position is listed on their website and indicates full time . There is absolutely no mention of contract work . From what I have seen most companies are clear and state it’s a contract position but Cigna did not state this . Just full time job.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have not but the position is listed on their website and indicates full time . There is absolutely no mention of contract work . From what I have seen most companies are clear and state it’s a contract position but Cigna did not state this . Just full time job.
How did the interview go? Did you get the position?

Reactions: 1 user
How did the interview go? Did you get the position?
Well, I had a 15 minute phone interview with the recruiter last Monday and she told me the company would get back to me within a week or two if they wanted to proceed with a full interview . Three days after the phone interview cigna/express scripts contacted me for a full interview and I had it today . I thought the interview went well . The interview lasted 45 minutes . Training is virtual/from home Monday to Friday from 8 am to 4:30. After that , I was told the schedule may include a Saturday or Sunday every other week but it depends . I’ll find out if I’m offered anything within the next 2 or 3 weeks . I would love the opportunity. However, if I do get an offer , I might try to negotiate for a little higher pay - according to the recruiter, pay is non-negotiable and $52/hour . I currently make $57.50 in retail . I might ask to meet me in the middle and start me at $55 based on the fact that I have almost ten years of retail experience AND I’m bilingual - being bilingual is a plus for the position . I don’t think $3-$5 extra per hour should be a huge issue but who knows . If I am offered the position , that means I have less than a month left in retail and I’ll be sure to take an international trip as I usually do before starting a new job .

Well, I had a 15 minute phone interview with the recruiter last Monday and she told me the company would get back to me within a week or two if they wanted to proceed with a full interview . Three days after the phone interview cigna/express scripts contacted me for a full interview and I had it today . I thought the interview went well . The interview lasted 45 minutes . Training is virtual/from home Monday to Friday from 8 am to 4:30. After that , I was told the schedule may include a Saturday or Sunday every other week but it depends . I’ll find out if I’m offered anything within the next 2 or 3 weeks . I would love the opportunity. However, if I do get an offer , I might try to negotiate for a little higher pay - according to the recruiter, pay is non-negotiable and $52/hour . I currently make $57.50 in retail . I might ask to meet me in the middle and start me at $55 based on the fact that I have almost ten years of retail experience AND I’m bilingual - being bilingual is a plus for the position . I don’t think $3-$5 extra per hour should be a huge issue but who knows . If I am offered the position , that means I have less than a month left in retail and I’ll be sure to take an international trip as I usually do before starting a new job .

Man…. These days 52/hour is just nothing.

Do you live in a low cost area? Not even sure there are low cost areas left in the country

Reactions: 4 users
Man…. These days 52/hour is just nothing.

Do you live in a low cost area? Not even sure there are low cost areas left in the country
No, unfortunately, I live in a very high cost of living area . I live in Miami and while this city used to be inexpensive compared to NY years ago , it is now outrageous with rents for a 1 bed/1bath over $2k easily per month . Sadly, most people here make low incomes and I just don’t get how they do it . Statistically , only 3% of the population down here pulls in over $100k per year - I’m one of them and starting to feel poor for the first time in my life . This is why I want to ask for more than $52/hour . Recruiter said it’s “non-negotiable” but who knows . I’ve never negotiated with any employer and would like to ask for $55-$56 per hour (still less than what I make at $57.60/hour) but not sure the right approach and also afraid of losing the opportunity.

Reactions: 2 users
No, unfortunately, I live in a very high cost of living area . I live in Miami and while this city used to be inexpensive compared to NY years ago , it is now outrageous with rents for a 1 bed/1bath over $2k easily per month . Sadly, most people here make low incomes and I just don’t get how they do it . Statistically , only 3% of the population down here pulls in over $100k per year - I’m one of them and starting to feel poor for the first time in my life . This is why I want to ask for more than $52/hour . Recruiter said it’s “non-negotiable” but who knows . I’ve never negotiated with any employer and would like to ask for $55-$56 per hour (still less than what I make at $57.60/hour) but not sure the right approach and also afraid of losing the opportunity.

I’m not too far above you. I’m at 58/hour right now. However, I am similar to what you are about to get into. I work out of home and have quite a bit of freedom. The stress in my job is a very different type of stress - and much more tolerable.

The best advice I can give to you is to make sure to take care of yourself while working at home. This is something I really struggled with during the “Covid phase”. It’s very easy to just become couch bound and kinda let yourself go.

Otherwise - quality of life truly is better than retail. I used to be a champ in retail and could keep up with the best of them. However, I am not sure I could ever keep pace like I used to at this point. This is another consideration - do you want to loose your retail skills? They fade fast as you won’t ever want to think about them again.

Congrats on your new opportunity. Hang in there financially - we are all hurting right now.

Regarding taking a hard stance over a few bucks an hour - I would recommend to just let it go as it really won’t make much of a difference anyway.

Reactions: 1 users
Did they say they’ll let you know in the next 2-3 weeks? So annoying.

Also, why the hell is it non negotiable at 52/hr when the range goes up to 81/hr?! Ridiculous

I’m not too far above you. I’m at 58/hour right now. However, I am similar to what you are about to get into. I work out of home and have quite a bit of freedom. The stress in my job is a very different type of stress - and much more tolerable.

The best advice I can give to you is to make sure to take care of yourself while working at home. This is something I really struggled with during the “Covid phase”. It’s very easy to just become couch bound and kinda let yourself go.

Otherwise - quality of life truly is better than retail. I used to be a champ in retail and could keep up with the best of them. However, I am not sure I could ever keep pace like I used to at this point. This is another consideration - do you want to loose your retail skills? They fade fast as you won’t ever want to think about them again.

Congrats on your new opportunity. Hang in there financially - we are all hurting right now.

Regarding taking a hard stance over a few bucks an hour - I would recommend to just let it go as it really won’t make much of a difference anyway.
Thanks for the congratulations, but I don’t have an offer yet . My interview went well but sadly that doesn’t necessarily mean much since I am only candidate out of god knows how many. Until I get an offer , I have nothing but my current retail job and will continue the job hunt until I settle down with an offer . Yea, after almost a decade in retail , I don’t mind losing retail skills because I have no plans of working retail again once I get out . Retail is a dying breed and will continue to get worse . The chains , unless they learn to value pharmacists, will continue to exploit future pharmacists . More and more duties and responsibilities will be assigned , such as prescribing , for 2007 salaries . It will not be worth it and it’s an insult to the profession . My days in retail are counted at this point .

Did they say they’ll let you know in the next 2-3 weeks? So annoying.

Also, why the hell is it non negotiable at 52/hr when the range goes up to 81/hr?! Ridiculous
That’s what I was told - week of April 4th which is two weeks away . I also find it ridiculous the range is $49 to $81 per hour and it’s non negotiable at $52 with the recruiter . We’ll see if that is true if I get an offer and counter it .

That’s what I was told - week of April 4th which is two weeks away . I also find it ridiculous the range is $49 to $81 per hour and it’s non negotiable at $52 with the recruiter . We’ll see if that is true if I get an offer and counter it .
Keep us updated!! I hope it works out and they can answer our question as to why the range is so wide yet theyre non negotiable

Any update?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any update?
Update as of April 1: I’m sitting at home around 10 :30 pm and get a text message from the cigna recruiter informing me of an update and that I was offered the position for a work from home patient consultation staff pharmacist position . Pay is $52 per hour . I thanked the recruiter for the opportunity and expressed excitement about this new role but also asked if they could bring me up a few $$ more per hour and she said unfortunately not because the company sticks to certain salary ranges depending on the geographic location . Oh well- I tried . I’ll have my choice of schedule from 5 different choices - the best choice for me is 10:30 am until 7 pm on Monday, Tuesday , Thursday, Friday and 4 hours on Saturday and Sunday on week 1. Week 2 is simply Monday to Friday from 10:30 am till 7 pm with no weekend . Soooo…that’s it - after 9 years and 2 months in retail , I’m out . I will provide my current employer with 10 days notice . Today is April 1/2 and my last shift will be the 12 . After that, I will take a trip to France or elsewhere in Europe for a few days and be back before the 25th of April when training begins .

Reactions: 10 users
52 per hour? Mercy
Yes, that’s the rate . I make $57.60/hour in retail but when you take into account how much I spend on gasoline , random things I buy at work (water, protein bars , energy drinks ) etc every time I work , and tolls from driving on highways , it adds up to thousands of dollars per year - so, if anything , im breaking even and pretty much making the same even if my hourly rate drops to $52. Plus nothing beats the comfort of working from home and getting out of retail hell . No more dealing with the random bs thrown at me everyday, idiotic patient, corporate nonsense , 4th dose, 3rd dose of covid vaccines and the million other things you’re expected to take on in retail . I won’t miss it at all .

Reactions: 5 users
Yes, that’s the rate . I make $57.60/hour in retail but when you take into account how much I spend on gasoline , random things I buy at work (water, protein bars , energy drinks ) etc every time I work , and tolls from driving on highways , it adds up to thousands of dollars per year - so, if anything , im breaking even and pretty much making the same even if my hourly rate drops to $52. Plus nothing beats the comfort of working from home and getting out of retail hell . No more dealing with the random bs thrown at me everyday, idiotic patient, corporate nonsense , 4th dose, 3rd dose of covid vaccines and the million other things you’re expected to take on in retail . I won’t miss it at all .
I took a much bigger cut to get out of retail and didn’t regret it for even a second.

Reactions: 6 users
I took a much bigger cut to get out of retail and didn’t regret it for even a second.
How big was your cut and how long did you work retail ? I’m here celebrating with a glass of wine 🍷 and a nice dinner feeling relieved to get out . I can’t wait to write to the DM on Monday letting him know I’ll be gone in 10 days . Here in south Florida my employer has no one - all the people I know are gone - the largest mass exodus of pharmacists I’ve ever seen . You would think the chains would realize the problem and somehow raise salaries but no . They are arrogant and think they are too powerful to fail . Most companies in America do something about providing incentives to retain their employees, especially professionals , and my employer just doesn’t budge . My employer is also counting on new graduates taking up all the jobs that experienced pharmacists are leaving behind and paying them less - in the end, that didn’t work this past year and the new grads have left too . If you read online my employer wants to automate a lot of the dispensing functions at central locations supposedly to “free up pharmacist time so they can do what they love and be involved in clinical duties “. 🤣😂😂. The way I see it this is a clever step to eventually try and cut more personnel , including pharmacists and maybe even one day contribute to a change in law that doesn’t require the pharmacist on duty . They’d rather go through all that than increase pay .

Congrats! I liked Cigna when I worked for them (not wfh). Got a lot of random free stuff. Food, packages, had great covid “hazard” pay since I was in office. I wfh now with UHG and it really is a great setting. I only fill up my car once a month. Nice to save money on gas nowadays.

Reactions: 4 users
congratulation! happy to see someone take a little step toward job satisfaction. I have been a pharmacist for over 36 years. Never seen anything like what we have now. In 1998, I would laugh and then reject $50/hr AND did at one point! Thankfully, I was recently hired for a hospital job. The HR recruiter asked me on the phone why I had put down $55/hr and I said because the current job market is dictating that. She said oh no! With my 20 yrs of experience, I am at $68. I said, go to page 3 on my resume, I have 36 yrs, she said well, then it would be $74/hr. And plus shift and weekend differential I make about $80/hr. $169K a year. I would have taken $55!!!!!!!!!!!! I work 7on-7off, work 70, get paid for 80. This is in GA, at the largest Hospital system in the SE. In an area with the lowest cost of living.

I left retail for a WFH position doing prior auth in mid 2021 and I stayed on as PT/per diem with the retail company. I couldn't bear to burn that bridge since I've been with the company from tech > intern > rph. The flexibility of WFH and decreased stress is making me not want to work retail anymore. With that said I haven't been picking up shift and about to get termed by the system. I'm still kind of torn if I want to stay on. Like you I WAS a retail champ but now I don't know if I can keep up.

Update as of April 1: I’m sitting at home around 10 :30 pm and get a text message from the cigna recruiter informing me of an update and that I was offered the position for a work from home patient consultation staff pharmacist position . Pay is $52 per hour . I thanked the recruiter for the opportunity and expressed excitement about this new role but also asked if they could bring me up a few $$ more per hour and she said unfortunately not because the company sticks to certain salary ranges depending on the geographic location . Oh well- I tried . I’ll have my choice of schedule from 5 different choices - the best choice for me is 10:30 am until 7 pm on Monday, Tuesday , Thursday, Friday and 4 hours on Saturday and Sunday on week 1. Week 2 is simply Monday to Friday from 10:30 am till 7 pm with no weekend . Soooo…that’s it - after 9 years and 2 months in retail , I’m out . I will provide my current employer with 10 days notice . Today is April 1/2 and my last shift will be the 12 . After that, I will take a trip to France or elsewhere in Europe for a few days and be back before the 25th of April when training begins .
Congratulations!!

BTW, one of my jobs was with CIGNA, at Express Scripts, at ACCREDO. Very low pay and unpleasant management.
Wow, I’ve heard great things about Cigna. What did you find unpleasant?

What could be pleasant about a $2.5 billion acquisition by an Insurance company of Express Scripts that owns Accredo??? You are not their primary (or top 10,000) objective. Accredo has this complicated "front end" and "backend" pharmacy arrangement. As a back end pharmacy (sounds perverted), all you do is label box and ship. You are their Mail Boxes Etc. service. You basically ship out 50-60 boxes a day. The front end gets the Rx, contacts physician, patient, caregiver and takes call for the patients. They never see or touch the product.
Accredo also has the most complicated software and useless system (although I heard it was upgraded)
And honestly< you heard great things about CIGNA, they are crooked Insurance company just like the rest

How come we have never seen them in the same room together? They’re the same person. It’s like Batman and Bruce Wayne. Or Caitlyn Jenner and Melania trump
Haha, but no . Likely the other poster on this forum was also born in 86 like me and that’s it. Anyway, my last day in retail is this Tuesday after 9 years , 2 months , 8 days . Let’s see what work from home brings . I’m very excited and looking forward to a brand new opportunity and start .

Both are 10 plus year members and one is verified. I truly think this may be coindidence.

Haha, but no . Likely the other poster on this forum was also born in 86 like me and that’s it. Anyway, my last day in retail is this Tuesday after 9 years , 2 months , 8 days . Let’s see what work from home brings . I’m very excited and looking forward to a brand new opportunity and start .
Hey! How’s your first week of training going?

So far so good . This morning will be my third day . Training lasts 6 weeks and is basically a conference call with the trainers and 5 other pharmacists from other cities and states . Two 15-minute paid breaks during the day and a 30-minute unpaid lunch . 8 hours a day . Cigna bought express scripts . Most of my role will be patient consultation but also involving patient order status , etc . I am sure there will be some metrics involved but likely significant better than retail . Also we start off with 18 days of PTO and after 3 years we can earn 23. It is an odd feeling waking up 45 minutes before start time at 8 am just to shower, brush my teeth, have a cup of coffee and bite to eat and then sit in my chair waiting to log into the system . I know it’s early , especially because it’s just training , but it feels good . What a difference from retail .

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
Day #3 of training is over . Metrics were discussed today. The metrics appear much more reasonable than any retail pharmacy and not nearly as demanding . You are basically a highly compensated “customer service representative “ who engages in patient consults regarding their medications and resolve order status issues etc . Much more limited scope than in retail pharmacy where you are doing everything at once . The metrics focus on phone call quality with patients, how you interact with patients, how you solve their issues , and documentation of important information regarding the call. They have a metric called “ACW” or after call work which they state should be limited to 20 seconds or less and ask that you do most of your documentation while on the call so you don’t have to keep the next caller waiting . Overall seems much better . I mean Jesus this morning I noticed the construction workers busting a** on the new high rise building next to me and thought how they are likely making $20-$25 an hour and here I am basically a customer service pharmaceutical rep and making six figures while sitting in a chair at home in front of a computer . Those construction workers carrying, lifting, bending, and in the hot south Florida sun. Compared to other jobs or professions , pharmacy is still good outside of retail . Even if $110k these days is not what it was once , it’s still 3 times what the average individual American makes .

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Day #3 of training is over . Metrics were discussed today. The metrics appear much more reasonable than any retail pharmacy and not nearly as demanding . You are basically a highly compensated “customer service representative “ who engages in patient consults regarding their medications and resolve order status issues etc . Much more limited scope than in retail pharmacy where you are doing everything at once . The metrics focus on phone call quality with patients, how you interact with patients, how you solve their issues , and documentation of important information regarding the call. They have a metric called “ACW” or after call work which they state should be limited to 20 seconds or less and ask that you do most of your documentation while on the call so you don’t have to keep the next caller waiting . Overall seems much better . I mean Jesus this morning I noticed the construction workers busting a** on the new high rise building next to me and thought how they are likely making $20-$25 an hour and here I am basically a customer service pharmaceutical rep and making six figures while sitting in a chair at home in front of a computer . Those construction workers carrying, lifting, bending, and in the hot south Florida sun. Compared to other jobs or professions , pharmacy is still good outside of retail . Even if $110k these days is not what it was once , it’s still 3 times what the average individual American makes .
Wow, what an amazing perspective. You sound like a great person. I am so happy for you!! I'm sending you a message

Congrats and you are right, the paycut is nothing. I'd totally take a 10% paycut to work from home with those nice hours.

congratulation! happy to see someone take a little step toward job satisfaction. I have been a pharmacist for over 36 years. Never seen anything like what we have now. In 1998, I would laugh and then reject $50/hr AND did at one point! Thankfully, I was recently hired for a hospital job. The HR recruiter asked me on the phone why I had put down $55/hr and I said because the current job market is dictating that. She said oh no! With my 20 yrs of experience, I am at $68. I said, go to page 3 on my resume, I have 36 yrs, she said well, then it would be $74/hr. And plus shift and weekend differential I make about $80/hr. $169K a year. I would have taken $55!!!!!!!!!!!! I work 7on-7off, work 70, get paid for 80. This is in GA, at the largest Hospital system in the SE. In an area with the lowest cost of living.
the reason why they are paying you that high is because you working the graveyard shift which no one wants

the reason why they are paying you that high is because you working the graveyard shift which no one wants

That's still very high for graveyard. Plenty of third shifters here would take that.

Well, not exactly "no one wants". They had 72 applicants for my position. I have no idea how my 5 page resume even got to the hiring manager. With this job market, I will take anything I can get. The graveyard ain't that bad, I am in the middle of my shift now, checking the forums, reading an excellent book, balancing my checkbook, paying my bills and just relaxing til morning. AND the night differential is only $4/hr, whenever I get tired of nightshift, I will take the pay cut, and "settle" for $159K/year and go to evening shift (7on/7off available right now). BTW, for "graveyard" shift we have 2 pharmacist and 2 techs for a 250 bed hospital. In downtown.

See both of us in the same (chat) room!!!!! We are not twins!
DoctorRx1986:
I am enjoying your point of view, your attitude and your positive view of life. KUDOS!!!!
I am 25 years your senior, still enjoying the profession and enjoying life. This entire forum is full of negativity (and justly so!) It is refreshing to read your story. Best of luck.

• Haha
I had this job at MEDCO before Express Scripts bought out MEDCO haha. I hated this stupid assssssssssthma job even though I was great at it. All calls are monitored and recorded and your supervisor picks 2 random calls you had and goes over them with you. You get scored based on the call. I had lots of patient yell and curse at me and question my education. Sometimes I would get calls NONSTOP with no breaks between calls. I hope you love your job!!!!!!! My title was Customer Service Pharmacist but my salary was $59 an hour in 2012 when I quit.
How long did you work for them and why hate it ? I’m sure it was far from perfect like any job but it beats retail pharmacy , doesn’t it ? Only thing I notice so far is that there are many systems to learn and a lot of technical jargon/protocols to refer customers/patients to other departments and it’s a lot to learn . More complex processes and more SOPS (standard operating procedures ). It’s likely to take several months before getting comfortable and into a routine/learning the ropes of the system . At this point we’re half way through the training so we’ll see how it goes within the next few months .

YUP! It definitely beats working retail pharmacy ANY DAY. ANYTHING is better than retail pharmacy in my opinion. I HATE retail pharmacy with a passion. I've been in hospital for over 9 years at the same employer and I absolutely LOVE IT. I worked at MEDCO from 2010 to 2012 and that was it for me. After Express Scripts bought out MEDCO, they shut down the entire facility in TEXAS and laid EVERYONE OFF.

I hated having nonstop calls, dealing with rude and verbally abusive patients, and having to look up SOPs for so many things, doing and taking prescription transfers, replacing damaged insulin, shipping issues, how everything is metric driven, and using multiple websites and systems. I also hated the corporate atmosphere feel with all the d u m b asssssssssssssthma METRICS. The positives were getting recognition, training other pharmacists so that I don't have to take calls LOL, all holidays off with pay, get to dress casual as work, didn't have to see patients face to face so of course no immunizations to give, your team leaders are helpful when you need help with a question you don't have an answer for. The jargon MEDCO used was call handling time and call wrap time. Supposed to be able to multitask through the call using multiple software and websites if needed. Your supervisor is constantly coaching you to get your call handling time to about 5 minutes and call wrap time in 30 seconds or less. the name of the game was take as many calls as you can, which is similar to filling as many prescriptions as you can in retail. We had about 8 weeks of training I would say, and during training you would sit side by side with another pharmacist and listen to how they take calls from patients. Oh yeah we also took verbal prescriptions from Doctors' offices as well. We had to follow a certain script so we all sounded like robots too.
I’m 3 weeks into training . We have one more week of didactic training (listening to the trainers read off standard operating procedures , PowerPoints, etc) and after the last two weeks will be on the job training taking calls with supervisor help . I am happy so far but my concern is the amount of information thrown at us regarding procedures , special handling , different types of transfers , front end /backend pharmacy, adding a protocol, queuing , etc . The procedures seem more complicated than retail pharmacy . I’m afraid of feeling incompetent and slow at first . How long did it take you to learn the ropes ? It’s not the same just reading slides , procedures compared to actually doing it. Two trainers told me to fully get better may take 6 months to a year . Hopefully I’ll settle in . And by the way my position is work from home .

I’m 3 weeks into training . We have one more week of didactic training (listening to the trainers read off standard operating procedures , PowerPoints, etc) and after the last two weeks will be on the job training taking calls with supervisor help . I am happy so far but my concern is the amount of information thrown at us regarding procedures , special handling , different types of transfers , front end /backend pharmacy, adding a protocol, queuing , etc . The procedures seem more complicated than retail pharmacy . I’m afraid of feeling incompetent and slow at first . How long did it take you to learn the ropes ? It’s not the same just reading slides , procedures compared to actually doing it. Two trainers told me to fully get better may take 6 months to a year . Hopefully I’ll settle in . And by the way my position is work from home .
Different types of transfers meaning rerouting the call to someone else, or transfer of rx refill from pharmacist to pharmacist?

Is there any order verification, or are you strictly answering questions? Basically, do you need to remember laws or is it more drug info based? Hang in there, I’m the type to be super nervous before a new job but don’t give up! Everyone starts somewhere, I’m sure they understand. Did your trainers assure you that you’ll be fine?

Last edited:
Different types of transfers meaning rerouting the call to someone else, or transfer of rx refill from pharmacist to pharmacist?

Is there any order verification, or are you strictly answering questions? Basically, do you need to remember laws or is it more drug info based? Hang in there, I’m the type to be super nervous before a new job but don’t give up! Everyone starts somewhere, I’m sure they understand.
Where do you work at?!