Have anyone put a STOP on their deposite check?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stressfullife

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering does anyone put "stop" on their check payment when they turn in their deposite? when people find out they got into their first choice school a day after the checked was sent through mail. Has anyone done it before? to put "stop" on their check payment?

Members don't see this ad.

I can't say that I've ever been in this situation, although I definitely wouldn't mind it! Anyway, I know that my bank charges a hefty fee ($45) to stop payment on a check. I do know that most schools will completely refund your deposit if you change your mind before May 1. If that's the case, I'd let it go and have them refund as soon as possible. It's better than being charged a fee for nothing. Actually, if you call the school, they might just pull the check before sending it to be cashed and mail it back to you. I'm sure they'd be glad to do that since you are essentially giving them extra time to accept another applicant. Plus, you would really be helping out someone waiting for an acceptance. Hope that helps you.

I did. I got into one of the pharm schools i applied to and still hadn't heard anything from my top choice and the last day to turn in the $500 deposit was just a few days away. so one morning i went and mailed in a check. mere hours later in the afternoon i got my acceptance from the top choice. of course if the former school receives the check its non refundable. thats 500 bucks gone to waste. so i called the bank and had it canceled and a few days later i got a bill from the bank stating that they canceled it and stuff. but the school hasn't contacted me about it or anything so i don't know if they know i canceled it. i haven't told them i am not coming to their school either.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kind of dishonest, don't you think? The deposit, in the situation you describe, is insurance. If you don't need any medical treatment this month, will you cancel your HMO payment?

Kind of dishonest, don't you think? The deposit, in the situation you describe, is insurance. If you don't need any medical treatment this month, will you cancel your HMO payment?

Don't u think there is a difference? I agree u won't cancel ur HMO payment if u don't need any medical treatment for the month. But if there was a guarantee that u won't ever need medical treatment wouldn't u cancel it? why wouldn't u? Thats like the acceptance. U won't ever need the acceptance from this particular school if u already got in and is planning on attending ur top choice. Its not a temporary situation as in one month of HMO payment. Plus u also don't know what kind of background students come from. U can't assume that everyone can treat a loss of $500 lightly. But then thats just my opinion. Ur entitled to urs as well of course.

just call the school and tell them you got into your #1 and that you would like them to mail back your check...

But if it's nonrefundable the school has no obligation to do that. The OP wrote out a check to the school so they can cash it if they didn't put a stop payment on it. I mean if you talk to one person and they're nice and say sure we'll mail it back and then there's a mixup and it gets cashed anyway....this person is out of a lot of money.

Pay the stop payment fee because it's significantly cheaper than having them cash your check which is most likely hundreds of dollars. Also follow up with a letter officially giving up your seat in the class.

"U" is now my least favorite letter.

You guys might want to read up on check fraud. It may apply to this.

Check fraud? You're joking right? Do you even know what stopping payment on a check is? You have every right to stop payment on a check. They did not receive a service and then refuse to pay. They are putting down a deposit to save themselves a spot in school. Big difference.

Get off your high horse man.

edit: No doubt in my mind I'd do the same thing. Call the school, tell them you changed your mind, stop payment on the check and be done with it.

I don't know why I bother posting on this forum anymore.

I sort of agree with Knickerbocker in that it is dishonest. If you don't want the school to cash in the check, have the decency to call or email admissions and let them know the situation. If you tell someone, I doubt that they will cash it. Also, the school might be pretty pissed if they don't hear anything from you and the check is returned. The school might have to pay fees on that returned check as well.

An above poster said that the check is non-refundable, but if the OP contacts the school and tells them they will not be attending the school and when the check comes not to cash it, they will not cash it. End of story. The school isn't going to say we're going to cash it anyway and do it. If they did, it would be accidental, and I'm sure they would refund the money in that specific instance.

Alright yes I admit that the school should be told. I just took care of it right now. Should have done it sooner. But I don't think stopping the deposit is considered check fraud.

hence why schools are moving towards money orders and cashiers checks.

Members don't see this ad :)
How is that action NOT dishonest? Aside from not informing the school that you no longer plan to attend their program, it's unprofessional and inconveniencing to other students who are on hold/waitlisted.

So lets say you're selling your car. A buyer comes along, who is very interested. Since you already have other buyers lined up who also want the car, you ask him/her to put down a deposit. While denying other buyers who want the car, the check comes along and you try to cash it. Rejected. Not only have you denied other buyers (who were set on buying your car [with money]), you've wasted your time since the buyer didn't communicate that he/she was no longer interested (and of course, lost the deposit).

Note the use of the past tense + a sarcastic voice, "was" in the last sentence.

two different situations.

I was debating whether to put a stop check as well. I put five hundred dollars down to Hilo, HI, and then about three weeks later I got accepted into Midwestern in Glendale. It had been about a month and Hilo still had not cashed my check, so I was debating long and hard of whether or not to do so because 500 dollars is a lot of money to a married college student. Anyways, I didn't end up doing it because in the contract that I had signed it said my deposit was non-refundable and that I had three days to withdraw for a full refund. So I didn't end up doing it because I didn't want it coming back to me somehow as being dishonest and then for some reason not being allowed to get into midwestern. I know that sounds kinda stupid but Hilo ended up cashing the check about three weeks ago, so I am out five hundred bucks!

I was debating whether to put a stop check as well. I put five hundred dollars down to Hilo, HI, and then about three weeks later I got accepted into Midwestern in Glendale. It had been about a month and Hilo still had not cashed my check, so I was debating long and hard of whether or not to do so because 500 dollars is a lot of money to a married college student. Anyways, I didn't end up doing it because in the contract that I had signed it said my deposit was non-refundable and that I had three days to withdraw for a full refund. So I didn't end up doing it because I didn't want it coming back to me somehow as being dishonest and then for some reason not being allowed to get into midwestern. I know that sounds kinda stupid but Hilo ended up cashing the check about three weeks ago, so I am out five hundred bucks!

that,s the honest and ethical way to do. Its the principle, and I wish more people were like you.

I would have done a stop payment in a heart beat. I'm a single mother so money is always tight and to willing give a school five hundred dollars when I know that I'm not going to that school is not gonna happen. It's your decision and only you have to live with it.

I would have done a stop payment in a heart beat. I'm a single mother so money is always tight and to willing give a school five hundred dollars when I know that I'm not going to that school is not gonna happen. It's your decision and only you have to live with it.

Um, not my problem, not the school's problem, and certainly not the problem of the people who've been deferred behind you.

The deposit should be considered a cost of application. If you can't afford the cost of school or can't get loans to cover your expenses, you shouldn't be applying. This is professional school, people; you're not buying Avon here and then changing your mind because you don't like the lipstick color.

It's ironic to me that we have this thread in which people are actively encouraging and promoting academic dishonesty, in the same forum where we have people whining about the high dollar amount that some schools require for deposit. Do you not see that these concepts are related?

It would not surprise me if schools had an inside track amongst themslves to identify people who act fraudulently, and ensure that they never have the opportunity to do that at a professional school level again. If they don't already have this, it's probably a good idea to initiate one (all you school-based administrators who lurk on here, are you reading this mess??)

Talk about a classic example of "I got mine, screw the rest of you!!!!"

There is nothing wrong with contacting the school after you sent your payment and tell them you are no longer going to be attending there and letting them know that the check that is coming in the mail has been cancelled. There is nothing dishonest about that as you are letting them know before they even receive the check that you are not going to be attending.

By stopping payment on a check after you acknowledge and sign that it is non-refundable at the time you send it, you are technically going back on your word and violating the terms of the contract. It doesn't matter if you have a sob story behind it or not, or whether the school cashed the check or not, we all could use $500 whether we're fully supported by parents or not.

It's people who do this that make life for the rest of us harder. Like someone mentioned above, schools will respond accordingly and require cashier's checks/money orders from now on.

How is this practice ethical? C'mon now people, we can do better than that...

Check fraud? You're joking right? Do you even know what stopping payment on a check is? You have every right to stop payment on a check. They did not receive a service and then refuse to pay. They are putting down a deposit to save themselves a spot in school. Big difference.

You are receiving something though - a spot in the class. If you decide you don't want it after you've already sent the check, and put a stop on the check, then you have recieved a service you ended up not paying for.

I'd say it's worth calling the school and telling them you don't want a spot and will be cancelling the check - since they haven't actually recieved the payment yet it doesn't seem that horrible. It's a little shady, but sometimes deposits are north of $1,000 so I can definitely see why people consider it.

i still don't think stopping a payment on a check is dishonest. Now if the payment was stopped after the school received it, then its a different situation and I agree with some of you. I am sure it comes as a shock to the schools. But if it was done before that i don't see whats so unethical in it. You have every right to do it especially if u signed no contract. If it is so wrong why would banks give you the option of stopping payments in the first place? Please let me know since now I starting to feel like some sort of unethical person for choosing to stop payment to a school that I have to plans to attend. I even read up on check fraud and don't see it applying here.

No offense, but if you guys don't want to play the game properly, then maybe you shouldn't apply to these school that you don't really want to attend.

If you have a definite hardship, you should contact the school and let them work with you. You never know, they might refund/cancel the check/not cash the check for you. Thats the right thing to do.

As for the deposit, actually you are receiving a service, they are holding a seat for you. You are paying for a seat in the class, and that deposit is going towards your tuition, which means you are paying them for services rendered in the future. Once you've dated and sign that check, and sent that check in, the money isn't yours anymore. Again, as someone stated, this is the cost of doing business.

As for all the people making excuses to legitimize their actions, life ain't fair get over it. There are people far worse off than you are, and haven't had to resort to breaking or renegading on their contract to make ends meet. "But, .......I'm a single parent on welfare with 10 children living in poverty with not a cent under my name..." doesn't mean you can do whatever you like.

The reason why canceling a check is unethical in this case, is writing a check is considered a IOU, and not to mentioned that when you sent that check in, you should have read the paperwork that came with your application. It will usually state in the paperwork that you are in a binding contract by sending that check. Now, you can ask them to cancel it, and if they choose not to, and you still think you have a legitimate reason (i.e its overdrawn, you miscalculated the funds, and you intend on rewriting another check/or payment), then stop the check. However, if you made no effort to contact the organization/school/person you wrote the check to, and you made no effort to inform them of your intentions....you are screwing someone over whether or not that someone is a individual or a organization/school.

As someone posted previously, do what you guys want, nobody is going to judge you but your own conscience. Just remember though, your actions do speak volumes about yourself, and someone is going to judge you (your employer, your professor, your colleagues, your peers, your family, your friends, your mailman, etc)......

It's ironic to me that we have this thread in which people are actively encouraging and promoting academic dishonesty, in the same forum where we have people whining about the high dollar amount that some schools require for deposit. Do you not see that these concepts are related?

Talk about a classic example of "I got mine, screw the rest of you!!!!"

Well said....

it makes me wonder how they got passed the interview process..especially the ethical portion of the interview.

I feel like a few of the posters have it correct on this issue - just contact your prospective school and let them know what happened. If they are willing to work with you, there is no need to stop payment on a check that you've already written to the college of pharmacy. My assumption is that most schools are understanding in this matter - they will get their money somehow, even if it means pulling someone anxiously waiting on the alternate list. Some schools I applied to even mentioned how they could tell you your admission status a little early so you can avoid making extra payments on deposits. Most of the time, colleges understand that you are students and are hard up for money. Just my 2 cents...

I honestly don't think that schools would not cash your check if you called them unless it was within three days of when you signed the agreement. The whole point of the deposit is to secure your spot and they give you by law three days to change your mind, if they refund the money whenever you decide to change your mind than there would be no point in them asking for a deposit.

As for the deposit, actually you are receiving a service, they are holding a seat for you. You are paying for a seat in the class, and that deposit is going towards your tuition, which means you are paying them for services rendered in the future.

You do not receive anything until they receive your money. You even say it yourself, you're paying for services rendered in the future. Which means I can change my mind and not pay for such services.

Once you've dated and sign that check, and sent that check in, the money isn't yours anymore.

lolololol, uh, no. Until that check is cashed, the money is most definitely mine. I have not received a service yet, therefore I do not owe them money.

The reason why canceling a check is unethical in this case, is writing a check is considered a IOU, and not to mentioned that when you sent that check in, you should have read the paperwork that came with your application. It will usually state in the paperwork that you are in a binding contract by sending that check.

Again, IOU stands for "I owe you" and in this circumstance, I don't owe anything. I am paying in advance for a service. That binding contract only goes into effect once my check clears. This is why it is non-refundable. I always have the option of breaking the contract, I simply don't receive my money back once it is paid.

As someone posted previously, do what you guys want, nobody is going to judge you but your own conscience. Just remember though, your actions do speak volumes about yourself, and someone is going to judge you (your employer, your professor, your colleagues, your peers, your family, your friends, your mailman, etc)......

As I have stated previously, get off your high horse. You don't know what you're talking. Do us all a favor and take an ethics course. You (and plenty others in this thread) are seriously confused about what ethics consist of.

It doesn't matter if you have a sob story behind it or not, or whether the school cashed the check or not, we all could use $500 whether we're fully supported by parents or not.

Actually it does matter if they have cashed it or not. Once its been cashed you can't put a stop payment on it. Maybe some of you are confused about how checks and stop payments actually work?

Its funny how people turn very ethical online or when the situation suits them, I bet everyone saying that its dishonest are the same people who live their life strickly by the book! Yeah right! Whatever, I will say it again, I would have stopped payment in a heartbeat!:D

For people that are choosing to pursue a career that requires you to have high ethical standards, some of these answers I hear worry me. And no not all of us live life by the book, but if you are a smart person then you also dont want to burn any bridges. what if some of these faculty members from different schools know each other? they could mention your unethical practice, this is just an example. All i'm saying is that its best to play it safe and do the right thing. And by no means am i trying to insult.

based on the feedback I received there must be A LOT of "unethical" people already working as Pharmacists .. I posed this quesiton ( of stopping checks and disputing cc charges) to Pharmacists at my current and former jobs and got a pretty unanimous feeling that you were not really screwing the school or anyone else out of anything especially with the check stopping idea ... really don't see how exteding the time out by a few weeks since a school is slow to cash your check is that unethical. Who is being hurt by your spot being held for say 3 more weeks rather than you declining on the last "legitamate" date .. I consider myself a very ethical person but sorry I don't see the grievous unethical act begin perpetrated here ... i'm not looking for an argument I really would like to hear some of your feedback on this ( and please no more poor analogies of purchasing items and stopping payments )

You do not receive anything until they receive your money. You even say it yourself, you're paying for services rendered in the future. Which means I can change my mind and not pay for such services.
lolololol, uh, no. Until that check is cashed, the money is most definitely mine. I have not received a service yet, therefore I do not owe them money.
Again, IOU stands for "I owe you" and in this circumstance, I don't owe anything. I am paying in advance for a service. That binding contract only goes into effect once my check clears. This is why it is non-refundable. I always have the option of breaking the contract, I simply don't receive my money back once it is paid.
As I have stated previously, get off your high horse. You don't know what you're talking. Do us all a favor and take an ethics course. You (and plenty others in this thread) are seriously confused about what ethics consist of.
Actually it does matter if they have cashed it or not. Once its been cashed you can't put a stop payment on it. Maybe some of you are confused about how checks and stop payments actually work?

Totally agree with u on this one. I think people are going to the extremes with this. Like you said earlier the money is still mine as long as the school has not received or cashed the check. I cancelled mine before this. Heck I cancelled it before th post office even sent it out in the mail. There is nothing dishonest or unethical about that. Which is why banks offer that option. As for the type of person I am, I am just a regular human being. I am no saint. But at the same time I am not unjust/corrupt/unethical as some of u have already judged me to be with some wondering how I got admission to schools after passing the interview and how worried they are that people like me are going into a health profession. Hm....sounds very odd coming from people advocating professionalism.

It's called a "Deposit Item Returned" fee. Banks can charge the depositor if they try to deposit a bad check. Also, someone takes the check to the bank in addition to taking the time to fill out your paperwork or whatever else is required to hold your spot. So you can't claim that there is nothing lost by the school.

This thread has become pointless - all you guys are doing is banding together so that you feel better about yourselves. If this was completely ethical, why would you guys be posting about it?

It's called a "Deposit Item Returned" fee. Banks can charge the depositor if they try to deposit a bad check. Also, someone takes the check to the bank in addition to taking the time to fill out your paperwork or whatever else is required to hold your spot. So you can't claim that there is nothing lost by the school.

This thread has become pointless - all you guys are doing is banding together so that you feel better about yourselves. If this was completely ethical, why would you guys be posting about it?

Nicely done, Knickerbocker. The key here is being considerate to others. I think that the people that would stop payment on the check are not necessarily considering others involved in the process, just themselves and the money they may potentially lose out on.

As I have stated previously, get off your high horse.

Not that I want to get off topic here, but you really need to examine your own idea(s). So you've only told someone twice to get off their "high horse." It's evident you must be sitting on a higher horse, for telling him that (but not that you should get off or anything).

You don't know what you're talking.

Yeah, apparently he doesn't know what he's talking. You must've been pretty worked up because you couldn't finish your sentence there, buddy. Did the post get you angry? LoL!

Do us all a favor and take an ethics course.

If he needs to take an ethics course, you most definitely need a communication and anger management course.

You (and plenty others in this thread) are seriously confused about what ethics consist of.

Ok, I'm over this multi-quoting response wArZ.

The idea of banding is so true, on so many levels here... this thread has become a great way to pass time waiting for the snail mail. Thanks!:laugh:

Totally agree with u on this one. I think people are going to the extremes with this. Like you said earlier the money is still mine as long as the school has not received or cashed the check. I cancelled mine before this. Heck I cancelled it before th post office even sent it out in the mail. There is nothing dishonest or unethical about that. Which is why banks offer that option. As for the type of person I am, I am just a regular human being. I am no saint. But at the same time I am not unjust/corrupt/unethical as some of u have already judged me to be with some wondering how I got admission to schools after passing the interview and how worried they are that people like me are going into a health profession. Hm....sounds very odd coming from people advocating professionalism.

I think it all depends on the school and the papers that you sign. If you sign a matriculation agreement saying that you have three days to get a refund and then you put a stop payment on the check a couple of weeks later you definitely are in the wrong, and I think the school could even come after you and sue you because you signed a contract.

I think it all depends on the school and the papers that you sign. If you sign a matriculation agreement saying that you have three days to get a refund and then you put a stop payment on the check a couple of weeks later you definitely are in the wrong, and I think the school could even come after you and sue you because you signed a contract.

Well that goes without saying. Obviously if you sign a contract its binding no matter the excuse. But there was no such papers for this school. No matriculation agreement, papers, nothing. If I want a seat I needed to pay a particular amount by the said date. I thought I should and decided to mail in a check hours later I changed my mind and stopped the check. I have not signed anything or agreed to anything with the school. All they can do is deny me a seat.

Well that goes without saying. Obviously if you sign a contract its binding no matter the excuse. But there was no such papers for this school. No matriculation agreement, papers, nothing. If I want a seat I needed to pay a particular amount by the said date. I thought I should and decided to mail in a check hours later I changed my mind and stopped the check. I have not signed anything or agreed to anything with the school. All they can do is deny me a seat.

As long as there is no agreement that goes along with it that says its non-refundable after a certain amount of days, then I don't see any problem with putting a stop check on it.

Once the contract is signed, and it's in the mail, it is legal and binding. If this were taken to court, the facts remain, that you signed a document with full faculties (hopefully) and you must adhere to it or you are in breech of contract.

Whether or not the check is cashed is only a matter of the delay of snail mail. It has nothing to do with whether or not the funds are legally yours.

I didn't even know this was an issue. By 2010 most top schools will require a cashier's check/money order.

The question of whether the school received it or not is iffy. You can't unsend mail, that's for sure. You signed a contract acknowledging the fact that you are sending a $500 deposit in exchange for a spot in the class and placed it in the hands of a courier (USPS). In many states, this is binding unto itself. This is why unlawful detainers are both taped to your door AND mailed via USPS in order to be binding.

I suppose you could argue that subpoenas are not in effect until the time of service, but this is not a subpoena, this is cash in exchange for a service, which is more like a rental contract in my previous example.

By revoking the check, you're technically in breech, even if you decide on day 2 to decline the school's offer. Retail stores charge $25 for returned checks and schools can also pursue legal action in small claims court for issuing a stop payment on a check.

Just remember...oral stop payment requests last only 14 days while written stop payment requests last 6 months. If the school really wants to, they can simply wait for your stop payment to expire and then cash the check. At that point, you have no further recourse. My guess is most schools won't do this, but if they are crunched for money, they just might.

UCC law:
Section § 3-302 of the Uniform Commercial Code defines a holder in due course as “…theholder of an instrument if: (1) the instrument when issued or negotiated to the holder doesnot bear such apparent evidence of forgery or alteration or is not otherwise so irregular orincomplete as to call into question its authenticity; and (2) the holder took the instrument (i)for value, (ii) in good faith, (iii) without notice that the instrument…has been dishonored,(iv) without notice that the instrument contains an unauthorized signature or has beenaltered…” The UCC allows a holder in due course full transferability of rights to assure theholder a free market for the instrument (§ 3-203). A holder in due course has three yearsfrom the date a check was dishonored or ten years from the date the check was issued,whichever period expires first, to sue the maker for recoupment (§ 3-118)

So yes...to answer the question, this is NOT considered check fraud if you have notified the school that you are dishonoring the check. However, the issue with the contract is that you have agreed to pay the $500, and courts have tended to be strict with contractual issues. Are you going to be sued for $500? No, probably not. So this is definitely unethical behavior...somewhat legal and a very low risk of litigation, but still something you should avoid.

But most of you won't care...you got your $500/$1000 back, and that's all that matters to you. :thumbdown:

Just as an addendum, what if this situation was reversed?

If the school found another candidate better than you but the class was full, does it have the right to yank your admission and send back your $500 deposit?

By arguing that a student has the right to do this to the school (that student who found a better school is yanking their $500 deposit), you also have to admit that a school has the right to the the same right back to you.

But of course...the school has more money, and as a student, you have more to gain by going to court than does the school.

Someone argue my logic, I dare you. :luck:

At my interview at UNC today, one of the pharm students said he stopped payment on his deposit to somewhere else. I just thought it was funny I had been reading this thread and he chose to bring that up!

Just as an addendum, what if this situation was reversed?

If the school found another candidate better than you but the class was full, does it have the right to yank your admission and send back your $500 deposit?

By arguing that a student has the right to do this to the school (that student who found a better school is yanking their $500 deposit), you also have to admit that a school has the right to the the same right back to you.

But of course...the school has more money, and as a student, you have more to gain by going to court than does the school.

Someone argue my logic, I dare you. :luck:

I'm not going to argue with you. I just want to say :thumbup:

Excellent!!!!! I'd love to see that happen, but it would require a lot of communication between admissions departments at schools and I'm not sure if they ave the time or manpower. But..... TOO funny!!!!!!!!!

I can just imagine the letter........ "Dear Dickwad....... Apparently you think you're a lot smarter than you really are. Recent events have caused us to realize you're really no better than the average applicant, and this quality coupled with your apparent belief that you're all that and a bag of chips, has allowed us the opportunity to realize that you're nothing but an *******, and we have subsequently rethought our decision to admit you. Guess what? You're fired. Have a nice day, don't let the door hit you in the *** on the way out, and have a nice life."

The saddest part of all this is that at this point in the admissions process, the bulk of the work is being done by mid-level clerks and secretaries. This is their 'high season,' and they're the ones who've been working their butts off to make sure admissions letters went out, deposits are received and credited, and students are registered. To stop payment on the check is tantamount to saying that teir work, their effort, is of no value. That will be some SERIOUSLY bad karma.

I actually did something similar to this. I had sent a $1000 cashiers check (which means that the money is guarantted and you CAN'T stop payment) to a school I was accepted to, and then 3 days later found out I was in at a school I would rather go to. I called the first school (and caught them before they had deposited my check) and they sent my check back to me. If they had already deposited the money, though, I don't think they would have given me my $ back though, since it was meant to be non-refundable. Just call and talk to them nicely and explain your situation. Most people seem to be very friendly :) Good luck!

This thread is pretty interesting. I can see both sides of the argument. It's a public forum and we're all here to learn from each other, I don't think there's a need to insult or put someone down for his/her input. That said, what do you guys think about informing the school and stopping payment only if they choose not to return your check. My situation is unique in that it is NOT any other established school. This school has no pre-cand status (I think you all know what school I'm talking about here) and no right to request students to pay up. However, they are requesting a deposit from students to hold their seats though they cannot ascertain the status of the school. Given that they will not and cannot cash anything until June, do you think it is ethical to stop payment on the deposit for this school if admin refuses to return the check? Any thoughts?