Have I lost my mind?

Started by Modnar
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Modnar

Mmm... workahol
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's the thought that was going through my mind when I was studying for the PTCE today. Yesterday, I told my boss that I was leaving at the end of the semester. I'm quitting a job that I'm reasonably good at with good benefits and coworkers that I like in favor of... well, who knows?

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to be making a career change. But like everyone who's making a major life change, I have to wonder - what in the crap did I just do?
 
originally posted by Modnar
what in the crap did I just do?

I had the same thought yesterday when I told my boss it might be better if I only work part time in the summer so that I can get ready to move to Phoenix. He said ok, then I thought "what the crap did I just do?!" Change is always scary. It's time to make sacrifices already. :scared: 1/2 the $$$$ I've been making. I'll be going from a three bedroom house to a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment (I'll miss parking my car in my garage the most 🙁 ). So I'm constantly thinking "What the crap am I doing?" But if I can just get through these three years, then life will be ok...I hope! Life always seems to work itself out...hopefully that's true for you too.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here here- I'll be in the same boat - leaving a good job, with great pay and benefits, having money to do things, going to great places, vacations...etc..
But don't worry, anything worth having is never easy to do. A few years of pain and you'll be happy you did it in the long run. Do what I do-imagine not doing this and picture yourself doing what you're doing now in 10 years - that always snaps me out of it. Don't worry about your boss, you're the one has to live your life and make yourself happy - not them.
 
Oh Karma- just go with it- I love those little unexpected pleasures in life. Go back inside, put on your PJ's and watch TV and make sure you tell work that the repair guy didn't arrive until 3:00pm and he took 2 hours to fix the door. Hey, and you know with all that karma- maybe there's a reason why you weren't supposed to go to work today. 😉
 
Maybe I should be going to garage door repair school! That's where the big bucks are. Geez...$50 for no more than 15 minutes of work! 😡
 
I've had those thoughts too - I quit a decent job to go back to the grind and push myself when I thought my school days were behind me. But I realized that with my current education, my options were limited and I would never be able to have the sort of lifestyle I wanted. Also I was always interested in pharmacy and worked in a pharmacy since high school. It was always there in the back corner of my mind (that part that nags 😉 ).

So sometimes I think I can't believe I'm getting into all this student loan debt, busting my butt, working part-time for peanuts, etc. But I know it will be worth it in the end. The possiblities for pharmacists are so varied and plentiful and I really feel that I made the right decision, even when crying over my biochem book 🙂

Incidently, I had no real plans of going to pharm school, but DH decided he wanted to move back to the south (I'm from MN) and I figured, what the hell, why not just go an turn everything else upside down.

I'm only in my second semester but I do feel that I definitely made the right choice because ultimately I love what pharmacists do and I've had enough experience to see both the good, bad and the ugly. And after all these years (I started as a parttime tech in 1996) I still like it 🙂