Have I lost my mind?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Modnar

Mmm... workahol
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
That's the thought that was going through my mind when I was studying for the PTCE today. Yesterday, I told my boss that I was leaving at the end of the semester. I'm quitting a job that I'm reasonably good at with good benefits and coworkers that I like in favor of... well, who knows?

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to be making a career change. But like everyone who's making a major life change, I have to wonder - what in the crap did I just do?

Members don't see this ad.

Gotta follow your dreams.

originally posted by Modnar
what in the crap did I just do?

I had the same thought yesterday when I told my boss it might be better if I only work part time in the summer so that I can get ready to move to Phoenix. He said ok, then I thought "what the crap did I just do?!" Change is always scary. It's time to make sacrifices already. :scared: 1/2 the $$$$ I've been making. I'll be going from a three bedroom house to a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment (I'll miss parking my car in my garage the most :( ). So I'm constantly thinking "What the crap am I doing?" But if I can just get through these three years, then life will be ok...I hope! Life always seems to work itself out...hopefully that's true for you too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here here- I'll be in the same boat - leaving a good job, with great pay and benefits, having money to do things, going to great places, vacations...etc..
But don't worry, anything worth having is never easy to do. A few years of pain and you'll be happy you did it in the long run. Do what I do-imagine not doing this and picture yourself doing what you're doing now in 10 years - that always snaps me out of it. Don't worry about your boss, you're the one has to live your life and make yourself happy - not them.

Oh Karma- just go with it- I love those little unexpected pleasures in life. Go back inside, put on your PJ's and watch TV and make sure you tell work that the repair guy didn't arrive until 3:00pm and he took 2 hours to fix the door. Hey, and you know with all that karma- maybe there's a reason why you weren't supposed to go to work today. ;)

Maybe I should be going to garage door repair school! That's where the big bucks are. Geez...$50 for no more than 15 minutes of work! :mad:

I've had those thoughts too - I quit a decent job to go back to the grind and push myself when I thought my school days were behind me. But I realized that with my current education, my options were limited and I would never be able to have the sort of lifestyle I wanted. Also I was always interested in pharmacy and worked in a pharmacy since high school. It was always there in the back corner of my mind (that part that nags ;) ).

So sometimes I think I can't believe I'm getting into all this student loan debt, busting my butt, working part-time for peanuts, etc. But I know it will be worth it in the end. The possiblities for pharmacists are so varied and plentiful and I really feel that I made the right decision, even when crying over my biochem book :)

Incidently, I had no real plans of going to pharm school, but DH decided he wanted to move back to the south (I'm from MN) and I figured, what the hell, why not just go an turn everything else upside down.

I'm only in my second semester but I do feel that I definitely made the right choice because ultimately I love what pharmacists do and I've had enough experience to see both the good, bad and the ugly. And after all these years (I started as a parttime tech in 1996) I still like it :)

Hey spacecowgirl, what's DH, Dumb Husband?:D

Originally posted by pharmel
Hey spacecowgirl, what's DH, Dumb Husband?:D

Only occasionally ;) The rest of the time it's Dear Husband :)