Have to repeat my trauma rotation...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andrea

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So last week I was paged to come to one of the faculty's office where I was told I would need to repeat my trauma rotation. Apparently I did not show enough interest and didn't give outstanding patient presentations. I was totally shocked. I really had no idea that I had done anything sub-par. I was never given any negative feedback during the entire month. All of my other rotations have gone perfectly fine. Anyway, they said I could use it as an elective and not have to tack on the month to the end of residency, so that is good. However, it is still horribly humiliating. Has this happened to anyone else? How serious is something like this? Will I forever be deemed as the idiot resident? Thanks for your replies.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think that this makes you the "idiot resident". From what you say, it seems unfair that you were only told there were problems with the rotation when it was over. It seems more productive to give feedback when changes can be implemented, like during the rotation. How important this rotation is to you depends a lot on what specialty you are in and thus what your future duties will be, but a failed rotation never looks good. My advice would be to seek out detailed feedback about your performance and how you can improve. Then do the best you can to jump through the requisite hoops.

Unfortunately, medical professionals have little to no training in people management. It is NOT uncommon to not be told of any problems or to even be told there "are none" and then be suprised when the evaluation comes in. Chicken *&*^, I know, but it happens.

Well, its not the end of the world, although it certainly doesn't look good, but you aren't the idiot resident. There are people being fired from residencies, so think as this as a little blip in an otherwise stellar career.

The question I would have for you (and you for your residency) is how they are going to note this on your record. Is this a disciplinary action? Because when you apply for a state license, from now until forever, you will have to answer "yes" if making you repeat the rotation is considered disciplinary or will somehow appear on your record as anything but an additional trauma elective.

Well, I won't be under any disciplinary action, so that is good. But I am so mad about it. I know I probably should just take my lump and deal with it, but the other part of me wants to file a complaint or something? Bad idea? I wouldn't even know who to complain to. Any advice? I really feel like I am being treated unfairly.

It seems a bit much to make you repeat the rotation for simply not 'showing interest' and not giving 'good patient presentations'. Regardless of a resident's enthusiasm, the bottom line is how they manage their patients. If you managed your patients well, showed up for work, followed attending's orders, etc., then it seems reasonable that you should have passed.
I know I have stated that I am totally uninterested in certain rotations while on those rotations, and was not penalized for it. As long the work gets done, nobody should care.

Agree with path15 here...after all, if Trauma (or Vascular or Colorectal or...) were everyone's cup of tea, there would be no need for fellowships. Lack of interest seems a lame reason to make you repeat a rotation.

You could file a complaint but often that causes more problems than it solves and gets you a bad name. That doesn't mean you should get more answers about this rather vague reason for failing you and if you don't have them already, ask to see the written standards for the rotation. Every residency has to have a formal grievance procedure - your GME office should be able to provide you with this information.

You may be able to appeal this decision, check your policy manual. You could consider making the argument that doing an extra rotation in a specialty that doesn't interest you in the least is in fact detrimental to your education and the wasted exerience will take away time from rotations that may actually benefit your career in the long run. Although sometimes if you win the battle you lose the war.
Seems like pretty weak reasons to make someone repeat a rotation. Life isn't fair, don't let it get you down.

When people start getting into the subjective part of evaluations it's difficult to understand how so much weight is placed on vage "percieved inadequacies". I would caution you against proceeding with the grievance procedure unless you sense a potential pattern. Programs do not take what they percieve as "fighting back" very well. Nobody is going to see you as the idiot resident because it sounds like an idiot reason to make someone redo the rotation. Just do your best the next rotation, and try your best to put it behind you.

they're not tacking on another month to your residency, so I'd just do what they say. the residency machine is a tough thing to fight.....it's OK. we've all messed up before.

:)

Just curious what your specialty is and if there is any real educational value in making you repeat the entire trauma rotation.

Maybe you could take the angle that you could learn more by doing an extra elective in something else, or do a little trauma research project or something.

If you are EM or surgery, yeah, you might gain something...I guess you could look at it as a chance to really hone those trauma skills. Otherwise, seems a bit ridiculous.