have yet to submit application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eldarion3141

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am days away from hitting the submit button on my application. I

Members don't see this ad.

eldarion3141 said:
Hello all,

I am days away from hitting the submit button on my application. I am applying to med schools, but my pre-professional health committe insisted that I not apply until they read my personal statement and interview me. My interview was on the 15th of october, and they then insisted that I not submit until they agreed on a LOR to send to DO schools. They sent the letter this past thursday, and I am waiting on a final proofread of my application. I am only applying to DO schools, and I am wondering if i should risk applying now (I know that my chances are diminishing by every day, most people on SDN have already gotten interview invites!) or just wait until next year? All I want to do is become a osteopathic physician, but I am looking for realistic advice on my chances, thanks!

MCAT: 24Q
GPA: 3.5
Major GPA: 3.63

Honors and Awards
?National Dean?s List and Dean?s List of Scholars
?Rotary Youth Leadership Awards Conference
?DeFrees Science Scholarship
?Artwork presented at Student Art Exhibition ?04
?Governor?s Regional School of Excellence for Biology, Gannon University

Activities
Nurse Aide: UPMC Lee Regional
Resident Advisor 02-present
?Certified EMT: Summer ?02-present
?Volunteer at Bradford Regional Medical Center ?03-present
?Shadowing an Osteopathic Physician ?03-present
?Directed Research: Chemical Analysis of Staghorn Sumac through HPLC ?04
?Directed Research: Immunohistochemical staining of Drosophila
Cambridge Area Volunteer Ambulance Service (CAVAS) ?02
?Tri-Beta National Honorary in Biology, President ?03
?Biology Club ?03-present
Blue and Gold Society, Alumni Relations ?03-present
Christ in Action ?01-present, Student Government Representative ?03- present, President ?02
?Student Government Association Senator?01

:confused: :confused: :scared: :scared: :( :(

I personally would send it in since you have worked hard to prepare for your application. I would also be ready for next year's cycle just in case things don't work out for you. Good luck!

Hi. Definately go for it. You are applying later in the cycle, but I know people who applied much later last year and still got interviews/acceptances. You won't be far behind me actually, so don't give up! I have 25O and just started receiving secondaries. Definately get your app in ASAP and then lots of the secondaries are posted on SDN, or ask me I have a bunch too. I would just work on the secondaries and getting your letters ready and then when the schools prompt you for secondaries/letters you can send it right away. that would save lots of time. Good luck, and I say you still have a great shot!

Members don't see this ad :)
eldarion3141 said:
I am applying to med schools, but my pre-professional health committe insisted that I not apply until they read my personal statement and interview me. My interview was on the 15th of october, and they then insisted that I not submit until they agreed on a LOR to send to DO schools. They sent the letter this past thursday, and I am waiting on a final proofread of my application.
It bothers me how much control these committees exercise over a student's application and future. I have a friend who went to his school's committee and they told him he'd have no chance of getting in and they didn't want to recommend him. He applied anyway and now he's half way through the third year of his general surgery residency.

i think some schools are very selective as to whom they will recommend for medical school. They want only the students that have basically 90% chance of getting in so that they have great stats to show the next group of applicants to their school. Which sucks because even though they've seen a lot of applicants and gone through the process with them, they have no real idea of who is going to get into med school and who isn't. What's extremely perplexing is that they know the advantage to this game is applying early but they made this applicant wait until *they* were ready for the application to be submitted.

My advisor last year told me not to apply because I was waiting for my 2nd MCAT scores to be released in August. She felt that by the time the scores came out I would have no chance whatsoever. So instead of submitting my application early in the summer I submitted in September after realizing how big a mistake I was making. Moral of the story: advisors are great resources of information but they don't always know what's best for you.