Have you ever seen anyone cheat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lilah

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just had a midterm and I’m kind of ticked off about it.
During the exam I notice the girl sitting in front of me looking at a cheat sheet she had hidden under her exam. I couldn’t believe it. I’ve seen people cheat before but it always surprises me.

The thought of her doing as well as me or better had me fuming. +pissed+
I’ve been ignoring my classes since the beginning of spring to focus on the MCAT. But of course I had a bunch of exams, papers ect. this week, including two today. So I’ve been forcing myself to study like crazy.

I seriously contemplated doing something about it, but in the end I thought I’d never want to get anyone kicked out of school.

Maybe I need to develop a mean streak because people like this hurt everyone else.

I bet many people have been in similar situations. What did you or would you do?

EDIT: I didn’t even see the Harvard Plagiarism thread. Some people…. :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad.

There are cheaters in the corporate world as well!!! these kind of people are everywhere...so watch your back and protect your neck :)

dont try snitching because it will make you guilty in the long-run! you'll lose some support that way

GOOD LUCK Lilah (edit). You're a model student no doubt!

so i've got this group of aquaintances, who get quite good grades. I always thought it was from studying. NOT TRUE, how'd I find this out, they were discussing "the strategy" during study group once, then this one guy gets mad at the other guy & tells him not to talk about stuff like that in front of me b/c I'd tell :rolleyes: I didn't tell on them, but I certainly made sure I didn't sit by them either.
Another time we had a quiz. Write you answers blah blah, pass to the aisle seats. Well I pass mine along, & there's a hold up, why b/c somebody's copying a quiz.
Once a teacher busted this one group of students-in the middle of our test :eek: i don't remember if they got kicked out or not, i wasn't paying attention, but some one who finished earlier & was sitting by them, told the proctor, b/c they were hanging outside the class & asking if they'd been busted yet. :laugh:
Once before my friend changed to pre-law, she comes up to me before our final & says, I went out last night & didn't study, sit by me & write your answers really big....I pretended to get lost in the shuffle to get in & get a good seat :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
PariPari said:
Once before my friend changed to pre-law, she comes up to me before our final & says, I went out last night & didn't study, sit by me & write your answers really big....I pretended to get lost in the shuffle to get in & get a good seat :smuggrin:

Your friend will never make it this way in law. Most lawyers would consider turning someone in the ethical thing to do, and not lose any sleep over it. (Perhaps proving that there is no honor among thieves? :laugh: )

Law2Doc said:
Your friend will never make it this way in law. Most lawyers would consider turning someone in the ethical thing to do, and not lose any sleep over it. (Perhaps proving that there is no honor among theives? :laugh: )

Aw, c'mon! Didn't you know that writing answers big helps them to lift into the ether, to be absorbed by those nearby?

I think you just have to learn to worry about only yourself. Personally I've never cared if a classmate cheated, perhaps unless there was a bell curve at stake. Which only shows how selectively moral I can be ;)

Lilah said:
During the exam I notice the girl sitting in front of me looking at a cheat sheet she had hidden under her exam.

What were you doing looking at her exam?? :p

I've seen cheating since high school and know it goes on all over the place in the "school world" as well as many other places....All I can say is that it will eventually catch up to them

I kicked someone out of graduate school, and the university, for cheating. He had already been booted from the chem grad program for cheating. He then went to a different department's grad program, but took the grad course I taught. He strong-armed a take-home exam from another student. When I confronted both students (separately), I figured out what happened. The first student was expelled from the university, the second student's course grade was reduced one letter grade.

I've stopped being sensitive to these people. I guess it depends on where they stand: I know some people on the lower end of the scale that cheat pretty often, but I guess I'm not too concerned about them as they're barely getting by the way it is. I'm not going to cost them the money by getting them failed, because they're not competition to me or many other people for that matter.

On the other hand, the people that have gotten 'good' at cheating I'll turn in without a bit of remorse. Why the hell should they be put on an equal playing field with me just because they don't have morals? Screw that, do the work yourself. I don't feel a bit sorry for people like this that get booted out of school. I could always say that the MCAT or whatever else would get them eventually, and it probably would, but I'm not going to take that chance.

On that note, I have a pretty good story. Last semester a kid got caught cheating in biochem. How, you may ask? When the tests got handed back, he changed a few things and re-wrote the score on top (with a red marker, to match) and told the professor there must have been a grading error. He changed the score from something like a 65 to a 95. The professor tested the inks, failed the kid from the class, and refused to ever teach him again. I thought that was hilarious. Who the hell does that?

And why are cheaters who copy others' work too lazy to change the way an answer looks on a chemistry exam?!? They are just asking for it!

I've seen some of the dumbest cheating imagineable. Word for word answers that are wrong,pages of work (math) that don't make sense, then lead to an answer that it somehow correct, etc. I don't get it.

Members don't see this ad :)
OctoDoc said:
And why are cheaters who copy others' work too lazy to change the way an answer looks on a chemistry exam?!? They are just asking for it!

Well, if they were really smart, they wouldn't need to cheat, would they? :p

austinap said:
I've seen some of the dumbest cheating imagineable. Word for word answers that are wrong,pages of work (math) that don't make sense, then lead to an answer that it somehow correct, etc. I don't get it.

No, actually, the dumbest cheating I've seen was from a pre-med in an intro bio class. This guy had an A- on his midterm, but he wasnt satisfy so he went around and change his answer and submitted it for a regrade. All the test was photocopy and he got caught.

I wrote in black sharpie on the inside of my calculator the derivative of sin and cos, I could never remember the sign for which, and still don't, because I depend on my calculator. Yeah, but cheating is gross. So are people who plagirize. Someone once told me that plagirism is cheating. I disgaree. Plagirism is WORSE. Plagirism is the Siberia of dishonesty. :love:

Law2Doc said:
Technically if you copy someone elses answers without attributing the source, you are doing both.

I love multitasking :laugh:

many times. I would have to say we asians are the best cheaters b/c no body every suspects us :laugh: :laugh:

Saluki said:
I love multitasking :laugh:

I knew a guy in my mathematical physics course that cut corners on his homework by citing references from books and the internet to avoid having to derive equations or get to certain points in the solutions. The prof never seemed to mind, though. Probably less work on his part to grade.

austinap said:
The professor tested the inks

My school's chemistry department generally photocopies exams, but for intro chemistry, apparently they only photocopied every other exam. Someone I know apparently decided to change her answers and ask for a regrade. The professor called her on the cheating, and proved it using some crazy microscopy techniques which showed her pen mark OVER another similar colored pen mark on the page. It was nuts!

austinap said:
I've stopped being sensitive to these people. I guess it depends on where they stand: I know some people on the lower end of the scale that cheat pretty often, but I guess I'm not too concerned about them as they're barely getting by the way it is. I'm not going to cost them the money by getting them failed, because they're not competition to me or many other people for that matter.

On the other hand, the people that have gotten 'good' at cheating I'll turn in without a bit of remorse. Why the hell should they be put on an equal playing field with me just because they don't have morals? Screw that, do the work yourself. I don't feel a bit sorry for people like this that get booted out of school. I could always say that the MCAT or whatever else would get them eventually, and it probably would, but I'm not going to take that chance.

I see your point, but why make a distinction? You aren't costing them money, their poor decision-making is. To only care if they cheat if they're your competition for med school seems pretty self-serving. Not everyone in the physics class you took to ace the PS section was there for the same reason. Most of them were probably destined to build the cars you drive over the bridges they engineered on your way to the airport to hop on a plane they designed the landing gear system for (or at least it seemed like they were all engineers) Its dramatic and unlikely, but who knows. I won't lose any sleep at night, and if I see that kind of crap, I'll rat you out w/o thought, pre-med or not. But then I'm kind of an anal sphincter. If I gotta do the work, so does everyone else...

I've noticed more cheating in med school than I ever did as an undergrad. Some of my friends at other med schools agree with me. We're talking about a bunch of people who are very concerned about their grades. Many of these people will do ANYTHING do get a few extra points. Pathetic, if you ask me, but not surprising.

Law2Doc said:
Your friend will never make it this way in law. Most lawyers would consider turning someone in the ethical thing to do, and not lose any sleep over it. (Perhaps proving that there is no honor among thieves? :laugh: )
:laugh:
oh, she was switching pre-med to pre-law, so "this class doesn't matter anyway" & now, well, now we're graduating, she didn't apply to law school b/c she's looking to get married, (i do suppose cheating at that could get ugly though ;) )

Mr. Freeze said:
I see your point, but why make a distinction? You aren't costing them money, their poor decision-making is. To only care if they cheat if they're your competition for med school seems pretty self-serving. Not everyone in the physics class you took to ace the PS section was there for the same reason. Most of them were probably destined to build the cars you drive over the bridges they engineered on your way to the airport to hop on a plane they designed the landing gear system for (or at least it seemed like they were all engineers) Its dramatic and unlikely, but who knows. I won't lose any sleep at night, and if I see that kind of crap, I'll rat you out w/o thought, pre-med or not. But then I'm kind of an anal sphincter. If I gotta do the work, so does everyone else...

Same here, but I don't see it as being as serious of an issue with the people that are barely passing (read: C-'s and lower). It might be somewhat self-serving, but I don't think so. I'm usually not in a spot that I have to fight for distinction, but if I see any of that crap I'll say something without a though, UNLESS I know for a fact they're one of those just barely sneaking by. My reasoning is this: these people are barely passing these classes, and most likely are barely passing the rest of their classes as well. They're not going to be put into positions of much significance unless they later prove their value. My turning them in would effectively do nothing but cost them an extra year, and keeping them from actually getting to a point where they'd realize that they should actually learn the ****.

Its the people that are faking all A's and B's that are the ones I'm worried about. They're the future doctors, engineers, lawyers, pharmacists, etc. These are also the people that get hurt the most getting turned in. A pre-med that gets expelled for cheating will have almost no chance of going to med-school, so in that sense I feel that I'm doing a service for people down the road.

Lilah said:
I just had a midterm and I’m kind of ticked off about it.
During the exam I notice the girl sitting in front of me looking at a cheat sheet she had hidden under her exam. I couldn’t believe it. I’ve seen people cheat before but it always surprises me.

The thought of her doing as well as me or better had me fuming. +pissed+
I’ve been ignoring my classes since the beginning of spring to focus on the MCAT. But of course I had a bunch of exams, papers ect. this week, including two today. So I’ve been forcing myself to study like crazy.

I seriously contemplated doing something about it, but in the end I thought I’d never want to get anyone kicked out of school.

Maybe I need to develop a mean streak because people like this hurt everyone else.

I bet many people have been in similar situations. What did you or would you do?

EDIT: I didn’t even see the Harvard Plagiarism thread. Some people…. :thumbdown:

There was a good exam krackers verbal passage regarding cheating... I should scan it sometime for threads like this. Essentially the passage said that reporting someone for cheating was a selfless act and was beneficial to society as if people got away with cheating it would demoralize those who were once honest and possibly even corrupt them.

My advice would be to inform the professor that people are cheating on his exams so that he can proctor the exams more closely from now on.

Back in my sophomore year of undergrad all us engineers had to take engineering ethics. I think about 20 people got caught cheating/plagerizing on one of the final papers.

I can't believe people were cheating in an ethics class....

One of the worst places, I feel, that cheating occurs is in our labs. All the characters in my organic lab around me would pretend they were doing the experiment when our TA walked by but just copied the data from the guy who actually got the correct results, or just from a book that had the product data already in it. They never took a melting point of their compound, never tried to figure out the percent yield--all those lovely lab report data things we need, they lied. They are now getting an A in lab and I am not because, although I followed procedure and collected my own data, my TA was more interested in getting "perfect" results.

My fault, I guess, in not reporting it earlier... :(

rup47 said:
I can't believe people were cheating in an ethics class....

:laugh: :laugh:
ethics class ---> cheating.
sorry..i didn't mean to laugh.
but that is so wrong.

austinap said:
Same here, but I don't see it as being as serious of an issue with the people that are barely passing (read: C-'s and lower). It might be somewhat self-serving, but I don't think so. I'm usually not in a spot that I have to fight for distinction, but if I see any of that crap I'll say something without a though, UNLESS I know for a fact they're one of those just barely sneaking by. My reasoning is this: these people are barely passing these classes, and most likely are barely passing the rest of their classes as well. They're not going to be put into positions of much significance unless they later prove their value. My turning them in would effectively do nothing but cost them an extra year, and keeping them from actually getting to a point where they'd realize that they should actually learn the ****.

Its the people that are faking all A's and B's that are the ones I'm worried about. They're the future doctors, engineers, lawyers, pharmacists, etc. These are also the people that get hurt the most getting turned in. A pre-med that gets expelled for cheating will have almost no chance of going to med-school, so in that sense I feel that I'm doing a service for people down the road.

I think a lot of people (including me) have this mentality. To be honest, the way that it is phrased here, it seems kind of sadistic. Basically, if we turn in people with Cs who are barely passing, they might get kicked out of school and instead of being a janitor, they become an assistant janitor (no offense to janitors...they're good people :) ), yet it inherently feels *better* to rat on someone who is getting As and might become a doctor/lawyer/engineer and who will then get kicked out of school and become an assistant janitor instead of a doctor (which is a pretty big leap.)

That's the problem with people who cheat and get really high grades. Most of them ARE smart enough to get Bs and A-s, but they cheat to get the extra few percent, and by eliminating them, we take out some pretty good students, but at the same time, it seems very wrong to let them go through.

Anyway, to answer your question, I've seen people cheat (so far I haven't cheated), but I haven't really reported people (perhaps I should; now I feel bad :confused: )

Oh well, good discussion.
-Dr. P.

JimmyG said:
One of the worst places, I feel, that cheating occurs is in our labs. All the characters in my organic lab around me would pretend they were doing the experiment when our TA walked by but just copied the data from the guy who actually got the correct results, or just from a book that had the product data already in it. They never took a melting point of their compound, never tried to figure out the percent yield--all those lovely lab report data things we need, they lied. They are now getting an A in lab and I am not because, although I followed procedure and collected my own data, my TA was more interested in getting "perfect" results.

Hmm, I thought most lab classes made you submit whatever product you end up with to check for purity, and that's usually a part of the grade. That sounds like a good way to ensure no cheating occurs. Honestly, I encountered no cheating in college, which was refreshing b/c in my high school, cheating occurred among 75% of my classmates.

Wow--I'm surprised by all these stories. Am a super naive? I've never seen anyone cheat! Although I get into a zone during tests so I probably wouldn't notice if the person in front of me spontaneously combusted. :rolleyes:

MNsocsci said:
Wow--I'm surprised by all these stories. Am a super naive? I've never seen anyone cheat! Although I get into a zone during tests so I probably wouldn't notice if the person in front of me spontaneously combusted. :rolleyes:

same here. i've never seen one either. i feel naive myself.
good to know.

-

Last edited:
JimmyG said:

YES! Something about Organic lab brings out the worst in people. There were plenty of people who stood around and took other people's samples ("Make some for me" -- sometimes the TA noticed they were the same color, etc) and if their yield wasn't the same as the projected yield, they changed the data.

They got A's. I was ethical and when my proj. yield was 0.5 and I got 0.2, that's what I reported. Why do you even get marked off for that? They don't verify that it's true.

I got a C in the lab.

That's what being honest gets you, in OChem Lab anyway.

JimmyG said:

NOOOO!! That's the worst. I did NOT spend 6 hours in a freezing dungeon of a lab every perfectly sunny and breezy Thursday afternoon slaving over chemicals to have people cheat like that. Luckily our labs made us turn in our samples. My yields were always pathetic. However some people did swipe crystals from open drawers. :mad:

I turned around today in my bio final to see how many people were left in the class. I saw a girl I know and when I looked at her, her eyes just came up off the guy's paper to her right...the funny part is, the guy has one of the worst grades in the class...I guess she didn't know him or else was really desperate...I chuckled to myself as I looked blankly at the questions before me...I know I got some wrong, but I feel good knowing that I will get what I really deserve, and I guess she will too :eek:

USCguy said:
I turned around today in my bio final to see how many people were left in the class. I saw a girl I know and when I looked at her, her eyes just came up off the guy's paper to her right...the funny part is, the guy has one of the worst grades in the class...I guess she didn't know him or else was really desperate...I chuckled to myself as I looked blankly at the questions before me...I know I got some wrong, but I feel good knowing that I will get what I really deserve, and I guess she will too :eek:

Did you make eye contact? And if you did, what happened? :)

Will Ferrell said:
What were you doing looking at her exam?? :p

I didn’t see or try to see her exam. I was finishing up and happened to look up, what I was her look around cautiously then lift up the corner of her exam and look at the index card she had hidden underneath.

But in a lot of the lecture halls the seats are pretty cramped and it is pretty easy to see someone’s exam, though there are generally different versions. Cheating is often possible but I don’t think most of us would ever do it. (Being naive maybe :confused: )

Potato51 said:
I think you just have to learn to worry about only yourself. Personally I've never cared if a classmate cheated, perhaps unless there was a bell curve at stake. Which only shows how selectively moral I can be

The class is curved.

I’m surprised some say they’ve never seen it.

A few quarters ago, I was late to an organic final and ended up sitting in the last row next to a group of three girls. There was a lot of shuffling between them and I looked to see that they were each doing parts of the exam and switching and coping.

In another class, the guy sitting next to me kept looking at my exam even when I looked him right in the eye. I felt so uncomfortable I moved a few seats over. Lucky for him no one asked why I moved during the test.

Just a few weeks ago I was grading chemistry lab reports and read one that sounded too familiar. It turned out that three students had the same report almost word for word. I didn’t even report these guys, though I should have.

Its just one of those things that really bothers me. But although I wish these people would get caught I end up feeling sorry for them.

austinap said:

I think you are assuming too much, and downplaying the significance of cheating for folks with Cs and below. It's a very premed viewpoint to assume that the world values grades above all else and that those with the highest get the furthest, but that isn't really how the world works outside this little corner of it. Lots of folks who squeak by with the lesser grades end up in "positions of significance", notwithstanding those grades. You can even get into med school with quite a few C's and maybe below, and certainly can get into other professional or graduate schools with one or two such snafus. We have a President of the US who got mostly Cs (not by cheating, hopefully), and he is in the ultimate position of significance. :rolleyes: For all you know, the bridge you drive over each morning or the office building you work in could be designed by a civil or construction engineer who cheated his way to a marginally passing grade in physics. You might end up trusting your financial future to brokers/bankers who cheated their way through finance. It happens, don't kid yourself. The world won't focus on a few C-'s and how they were achieved. Don't expect them to wash out.

Law2Doc said:
For all you know, the bridge you drive over each morning or the office building you work in could be designed by a civil or construction engineer who cheated his way to a marginally passing grade in physics. You might end up trusting your financial future to brokers/bankers who cheated their way through finance. It happens, don't kid yourself. The world won't focus on a few C-'s and how they were achieved. Don't expect them to wash out.

Moral: Be afraid. Be very afraid. Don't drive over bridges or work in office buildings. And hide your money in your mattress.

MNsocsci said:

I haven't noticed anyone this semester in my classes cheating either. But I'm like you, usually oblivious to everything and everyone besides the test. My phobia of being cheated off of, is exactly why my sister and I sit together. We study together anyway, and make about the same grades on about everything, and I know I can trust her. And I use the test to cover my answers, especially on scantrons.

Lol @ the cheating in an ethics class. Rampant cheating and backstabbing has me wondering about making new friends in med school. :laugh:

i never actually saw cheating in college since i was always too busy with my own exam and i go into "the zone" when i take tests (cheesy as it sounds). but i still had a crappy experience with it. my freshman year, the day after my intro engin final, i wake up because the professors call me at 8am telling me to get to the their office, now. i really had no idea what was going on. i was pretty sure i hadn't done well and i was wondering if they had called me in to tell me to my face that i had failed. but no. they asked me point blank if i had cheated. i almost died and denied anything. then they asked if i knew who had sat around me and of course i had no idea since i tend to ignore everything around me on test day. luckily, they were pretty sure that i had been cheated off of because as wrong as my answers were, they were sequential steps. the other girl had incorrectly copied my wrong answers and they just made no sense whatsoever. later that week i had to go talk to a dean and she was a total b*tch, like she was playing bad cop but since i had the profs on my side, i was fine. the cheater though, she was gone the next semeter. good riddance. cheaters suck.

in high school, me and the other top students told the calc teacher that most of the other students in the class had stored the derivatives in their calculators so for the next test, he surprised them by not allowing calculators. suckers! how hard is it to learn the derivatives if you use them every day for a whole semester?

It really bugged me that the guy sitting next to me at the MCAT would literally keep working on his test during the breaks until the second the proctors would come buy to pick them up. We were sitting way in the back, so this was quite awhile. :mad:

I felt stupid for feeling so annoyed, but really, it's the MCAT!

i saw a guy cheat once. i didn't turn him in, i didn't say anything, but when he left the chem building, i punched him in the face and told him that if he reported me to campus public safety or police, i would rat him out. he had the strangest look as he walked away. bitch.

z

phatib said:
and you were the guy to her right

nah...I was 2 rows in front of her...I don't think she saw me but I could be wrong

A friend of mine at the time managed to steal a copy of our final when she was in her supervisor's secretary's office. The exam was sitting right there on the secretary's desk so she took it, photocopied it and then returned it to the desk without the prof or secretary ever knowing. She then offered a select few of us in the class the opportunity to photocopy the exam off of her. Only herself and 2 others of our friends decided to cheat and use the exam. The funny thing was that even though they had a copy of the exam I think 2 of the 3 of them scored the lowest of the class (mind you the class only consisted of 12 people). The exam was all problem-based so I think that's what made up for the crappy mark but still if you have the freakin exam you'd think they'd of scored better.

Zephyrus said:
i saw a guy cheat once. i didn't turn him in, i didn't say anything, but when he left the chem building, i punched him in the face and told him that if he reported me to campus public safety or police, i would rat him out. he had the strangest look as he walked away. bitch.

z

...wow!

During one of my intro chem classes, after the second midterm, a group of 7 people were caught for cheating because their exam answers were word for word/ entirely the same. I had no idea this happened at the college level.

In one of my general ed, econ classes this girl I didn't even know had asked me for a copy of my study guide the night before the exam. The next day she rushed into the lecture hall and sat down right next to me even though it was supposed to be seating only in every other seat. She was asked to move and sat down somewhere else and got up in the middle of the exam to "go to the bathroom". On her way out the door, her notes slid out from under her shirt and she didn't even notice. The TA picked them up a minute later, and I never knew what happened to her. Never saw her again either though...

The cheaters that I see cheat really anger me because they are normally B students. So when they study, and cheat, they bust 99% on the tests. They throw off the curve. And the worst thing with these people I know that cheat is that when you get a lower score than them, they laugh at you. But you know what, honesty always gets the last laugh. It will catch up eventually.