Have you ever used Ritalin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Albo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, first of all i never used Ritalin or any other similar drug but out of curiosity i would like to know if is it dangerous using it or if it has any side effects.

Please cut the ethical crap and the self respect answers for this topic.

I have a friend who is pre med and was struggling with his grades and he decided to take ritalin, now he is doing incredibly well in all his classes. I know it can become addictive but with the finals week coming i really need a push to make those A shine cuz i am in the middle between B+ or A in all my classes.

What do u guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

friend = you

you only have 4 posts

i think you can do good on your own ability, dont take it

Back in high school I tried Adderall while taking some practice SATs to see if it would help me score higher. No joy. In fact, my scores might have actually been a bit lower with the pills. I don't know how similar Adderall is to Ritalin, but I guess the idea is that I don't believe drugs help you perform better academically (though a lil bit of the green leaf might help your artistic ability.........or so my 'friend' says ;) )

Members don't see this ad :)
It won't kill you, but gather together some common sense first.

Well Ritalin is a stimulant that is regulated and supposed to only be available with a perscription so that should be your first clue that its not the most benign substance. I had a friend in UG who ended up massively addicted to ritalin and adderall type drugs and she ended up seriously and permanently damaging her gastrointestinal system and now has to take drugs just to make her intestines move food whenever she eats, not to mention being scary skinny, screwing up her mcat and racking up a mega credit card debt using her expense money for drugs and then using credit cards for her linving expenses. If all of this hasn't frightened you sufficiently I would think about the fact that if you need drugs in UG to get by, what on earth are you going to do come medschool when the volume and pressure is exponentially higher? UG is pretty manageable with some decent time management skills, and if you don't develop those skills now you will drown in medschool. I knew alot of people who did this stuff, and I know that its pretty common and not everyone ends up like my friend did, but is an A really worth the risk of permanently screwing up your body?

friend = you

you only have 4 posts

i think you can do good on your own ability, dont take it

Hmm, no disrespect man but actually i am 20 years old and i think i am too old to play "i have a friend that......how can it be solved" game so don't jump to conclusions so fast.

Second i never seriously thought of taking it but its just that the improvement that my friend had on his grades stung in my head.

If you dont have any advice please dont write anything at all.

With Respect,
Albo

I don't know about Ritalin, but i've heard that people can study on cocaine for days in a row, so you might want to look into that ;)

I have taken Ritalin and Adderall, but they were prescribed to me. They greatly change my personality and I'm much more withdrawn and more sad.

I would say you can try it if it's for your ADD that is diagnosed with a legal prescription.

Well Ritalin is a stimulant that is regulated and supposed to only be available with a perscription so that should be your first clue that its not the most benign substance. I had a friend in UG who ended up massively addicted to ritalin and adderall type drugs and she ended up seriously and permanently damaging her gastrointestinal system and now has to take drugs just to make her intestines move food whenever she eats, not to mention being scary skinny, screwing up her mcat and racking up a mega credit card debt using her expense money for drugs and then using credit cards for her linving expenses. If all of this hasn't frightened you sufficiently I would think about the fact that if you need drugs in UG to get by, what on earth are you going to do come medschool when the volume and pressure is exponentially higher? UG is pretty manageable with some decent time management skills, and if you don't develop those skills now you will drown in medschool. I knew alot of people who did this stuff, and I know that its pretty common and not everyone ends up like my friend did, but is an A really worth the risk of permanently screwing up your body?
This post is absolute BS. I can't believe a medical student would write something like this.

Anyway, from what I understand, the common side effects are 1) it keeps you awake, 2) it calms you down (don't ask me), and 3) it diminishes appetite.

I don't think it's unethical at all to use it if you get it from a shrink.

I have taken Ritalin and Adderall, but they were prescribed to me. They greatly change my personality and I'm much more withdrawn and more sad.

I would say you can try it if it's for your ADD that is diagnosed with a legal prescription.

If its prescribed for you its a whole different story, its "normalizing" your brain chemistry so it has different effects and you're being monitored by a health proffessional. Most people that use it as a "study aid" just for crunch time however have no learning disabilities and are trying to supercharge their concentration and stamina which can lead to addiction especially without a physician monitoring your dose. My friend was taking 80mg of adderall at a time :eek: because her tolerance had built up so high and no one was monitoring her to even know how bad it had gotten.

If its prescribed for you its a whole different story, its "normalizing" your brain chemistry so it has different effects and you're being monitored by a health proffessional. Most people that use it as a "study aid" just for crunch time however have no learning disabilities and are trying to supercharge their concentration and stamina which can lead to addiction especially without a physician monitoring your dose. My friend was taking 80mg of adderall at a time :eek: because her tolerance had built up so high and no one was monitoring her to even know how bad it had gotten.

yep, I'm aware of that nad I think it's awful

This post is absolute BS. I can't believe a medical student would write something like this.

Anyway, from what I understand, the common side effects are 1) it keeps you awake, 2) it calms you down (don't ask me), and 3) it diminishes appetite.

I don't think it's unethical at all to use it if you get it from a shrink.

Well it really happened so I don't know how it can be BS. My friend ended up with ileal necrosis that her physicians said were caused by her heavy and prolonged adderall use. She was taking way beyond the dose that it is perscribed at because she had built a tolerance over a few years of use and wasn't getting it thru legal channels so there was no one stopping her when she got into trouble. I'm not her physician, I'm just telling what her physicians told her. She started using this drug to get an edge on her studying and it had real damaging impact both on her body and on her life.

Members don't see this ad :)
With prolonged use, the physiological effects that I can think of at the moment would include insomnia and hypertension-->the hypertension can have long-term consequences on your health.

My only advice would be against using any sort of medication as a crutch when there is no medical necessity. As you know, every medication has benefits and consequences. The question is whether you think the benefits are worth the consequences?

The consequences, although not immediate, can be two-fold: physiological and psychological. Whether you realize it or not, the psychological consequence is that you're reinforcing your own bad habits.

Ask yourself: if I take ritalin this time and I like what it does for me, what's going to stop me from using this medication the next time I need to study? what if I learn to rely on it so much that can't study without it.

Remember, if Ritalin works for you and you have access to it, then it probably won't be the last time you use it to study.

Rather than passing a value judgement on you, I urge you to think about the path you're choosing and the likely consequences that await you.

Nobody ever wakes up and says "oh, I think I'm going to become an addict today." It usually starts as a poor choice made during a moment of weakness, and this choice later becomes a semi-permanent crutch that is repeated over and over again.

never used it
i've had friends swear by it
i wouldn't recommend it

Just wondering... have you ever heard about caffeine?

You don't need to resort to taking unprescribed drugs to help you land the grades you want. There are all sorts of other means of staying awake and staying concentrated that you can go to rather than resorting to potentially becoming addicted to this drug. If you need any study tips I'm sure we'd all be glad to help you, but if you're smart at all you wouldn't use ritalin.

Ritalin is a schedule 2 narcotic, which I believe is in the same class of drugs as cocaine (nasal spray derivative) and oxycontin. They are regulated by the DEA because they are extremely addictive and often abused. Thus, I think it's a bad idea to take ritalin.

I suggest Starbucks Coffee products instead, those give me my edge.

i took ritalin for about 4 years.

When i was six, i was diagnosed with ADD. Yes it's young, my mother is a special ed. teacher. She is also a complete headjob. It embarrassed her so terribly that her daughter had a problem that she told everyone at school (small district, we were in the same building) that i was just fine and needed more discipline. She put me on ritalin to "even me out." You have to understand, i grew up in Arkansas, where procedures regarding things like this are just a suggestion. It's pretty easy to sweep things under the rug when your best friend's husband is a doctor.

When i was ten, i moved in with my father. He was abusive in a whole slew of other ways, but drugging me wasn't one of them. i was completely hooked on ritalin. It's awful stuff. i didn't want to take it anymore because it completely stoned me, but i didn't want to quit because i couldn't focus on anything for more than 30 seconds at a time. i went for days without sleeping. And i was constantly paranoid, my brain wouldn't slow down long enough to understand logically that no one was after me. i can't begin to explain it. Just...don't :(

I was reading an article about meth addicts. Apparently, you can stay awake for days and you are really alert and you don't even have to eat. So you can lose weight if you are a chick with anorexia and study and have lots of fun. But apparently, your teeth rot out so you would look like crap when you smile when you get your report card with all of those A grades. So don't send a photo home to Mom with your teeth rotted out. But hey, it is premed, and you have to do what you have to do. I think that you will be well suited to writing prescriptions someday. Good career move.

dude...manage your time wisely and concentrate on studies instead of thinking about Ritalin to boost your grades. the people with A's and A+'s aren't out of this world or take Ritalin. if you are already in B+ and A's then just work a little harder...and everything will be fine.

Ok, first of all i never used Ritalin or any other similar drug but out of curiosity i would like to know if is it dangerous using it or if it has any side effects.

I have a friend who is pre med and was struggling with his grades and he decided to take ritalin, now he is doing incredibly well in all his classes. I know it can become addictive but with the finals week coming i really need a push to make those A shine cuz i am in the middle between B+ or A in all my classes.

What do u guys think?

The difference between an A and a B+ is not worth the risk of taking an unprescribed drug, that could do serious damage in the long run. You probably have the natural ability to do better than you think. My serious advice - stay away from the uppers!

Hmm, no disrespect man but actually i am 20 years old and i think i am too old to play "i have a friend that......how can it be solved" game so don't jump to conclusions so fast.
If you're too old to play the "I have a friend..." game, you should be too old ask a premed webforum whether you should abuse a prescription drug for the sake of getting better grades.

Before I respond, I should warn you that you're taking something of a risk by addressing this particular crowd on this issue... and then specifically telling them not to talk about the ethical problems. SDN is full of people who are quite hostile to the idea of anyone being successful as a result of anything other than their own abilities and hard work. Not saying that this is necessarily right or wrong, but still, just don't expect a bunch of people here to be receptive to the idea of using meds as a way to get ahead. You're going to get a lot of responses that are biased against it.

Anyway, I used to work for an internist who really tried to avoid prescribing Adderall, Ritalin, Concerta, and the like for her ADD/ADHD patients (she encouraged Strattera instead, which is not a stimulant, and has no benefit for people without ADD/ADHD). Adderall is an amphetamine... as in, the same class of drugs as ecstasy and crystal meth. Ritalin is amphetamine-like, and as such, works very similarly. Ritalin it does cause fewer adverse reactions, mostly because its half-life is significantly shorter than Adderall's. However, because they are still quite habit-forming, it is extremely dangerous to take any drug like these without a physician monitoring you. The side effects are not pleasant (including sudden death if you have pre-existing heart problems), and could cause some irreparable damage if you don't have someone making sure you're doing okay.

Do you think that you might actually have ADD/ADHD, and that it's affecting your grades? I mean, from what you've said, it doesn't seem like it. However, it may be worth talking to your doctor about it if you're at all concerned. In that case, he or she would be able to make sure that you are staying safe if you do decide to take those sorts of meds. Either way, they would be able to tell you a lot about what these drugs can do.

If, on the other hand, you're just taking it to get ahead, is it really worth it? Ethical issues aside, there's rational cost-benefit analysis, too. In order to pull your grades up, would you rather drink strong, two-dollar cup of coffee and do an extra hour or two of work and potentially risk a few percentage points, or get hooked on some seriously expensive drugs and cause serious short- and long-term damage to get that A/A+? There's also the risk that, if you're getting the drugs illicitly, you might not be getting the purest or the safest pills in the first place, thus creating the potential for even worse side effects.

If you're on the B+/A border, then you're obviously smart enough to do the work and understand the material. If you're looking for an extra push, try more efficient studying, caffeine, or heck, a good night's sleep (helps in memory formation, among other things!). I wouldn't suggest trying something that's going to push you over the edge.

What do u guys think?

seems like you dont want honest advice...I think you already have your mind made up either way and are just publicly informing everyone of what you are about to do.

Good luck with that one!

i took it ONCE, as a naive freshman. IT IS OVERRATED!!!! I ended up playing starcraft the entire night and getting a B (i know its not that bad) in a course (gen chem) that I could have gotten an A in.

seriously, once you realize how damn effective studying is, you will never use any of that crap. OF COURSE it has long term effects; you're putting a freakin chemical into your body. the less chemicals you put into your body the better.

Don't take a whole bunch of it and it won't hurt you. I think it's quite possible to have problems if you continue to use it and especially if you get attached to it. For me and some others there is a euphoria that comes with the initial 30-75 minutes--it's similar to a nice coffee buzz (I'm talking about Rx'd Adderall here; my experience with Ritalin is quite limited). This, you can learn to enjoy, and that is where I believe it gets dangerous, IMHO. I tend to lose weight and get some nasty halitosis/dry mouth. I also get irritable and see personality changes if I'm on it for more than a few days in a row. It helps some people with tests/learning and it hurts some people with tests/learning. I don't think it's prudent for those who aren't in "ADD/ADHD shoes" to tell you that your decent grades mean you shouldn't use it. I have found it very helpful in some respects and useless in others. You must be honest with yourself and responsible in your actions. If you think you need it, go get checked out by a doc. If you just want to try it to tie up some last minute ends, it won't kill you.

Actually, I just took some Adderrall for the first time this morning (I have a huge test on friday so I wanted to knock out some studying). But wow, I am incredibly alert (being as I just woke up after about 3 hours of sleep) and I can focus extremely well without straining to do so. I took it just to say that I've tried it at least once and I wanted to gauge my response to it. But yeah, I do NOT want to become dependent on this stuff. It seems to be nice for studying purposes...but eh, I don't know if it's worth the trouble.

Vvanden,

Just admit that you are an addict already :p :p It is the first step to recovery!!!

Ritalin works but at a price; it gave me terrible insomnia and made me a zombie. My grades rocked but I became a different person. I had a prescription. I stopped taking it, my grades dropped and I was happier. I found Adderal extended release has fewer side effects but still zonks me out. You can run a marathon on it or read every encyclopedia. I know people who have built up a tolerance to Vitamin A and had started taking mega dosages of it. Not healthy. Best bet, use common sense and don’t procrastinate. If you do that and supplement a little study aid no problem.

Update: I am already starting to crash; the effects of the Adderall are wearing off. I'm now incredibly tired again. :thumbdown: Bleh.

Update: I am already starting to crash; the effects of the Adderall are wearing off. I'm now incredibly tired again.

Ritalin is expensive. Meth(yl)amphetamine (desoxyephedrine, branded as Desoxyn) lasts much longer, and also treats ADHD. But I would never recommend crystal meth to anyone for your purposes. The USAF uses dextroamphetamine (branded as Dexadrine) for improving attention and concentration during long-duration missions ("go pills"). However, for most people caffeine presents the best trade-off between low addiction consequences and improved attention... and it ******s male pattern baldness!

Second i never seriously thought of taking it but its just that the improvement that my friend had on his grades stung in my head.

If you dont have any advice please dont write anything at all.

With Respect,
Albo

why dont you go to a doctor and ask him the side affects? if your that concerned why are you asking premeds and medical students, none of us are doctors yet, none of us know your medical history...this is all scaring me, people are needing drugs to study now??????? is this something i missed in my days as a student, an undercover ritalin ring? how are you even getting the drugs? please enlighten me, if you get a from a friend who has ADD, then he doesnt have the pill for himself, the person who needs it most...

Real premeds use methamphetamine to stay up for weeks on end studying. The side effects arent even that bad : rotten teeth, stroke, death, mental illness, and I think it even makes you meaner (what premed wouldnt want that?).

why dont you go to a doctor and ask him the side affects? if your that concerned why are you asking premeds and medical students, none of us are doctors yet, none of us know your medical history...this is all scaring me, people are needing drugs to study now??????? is this something i missed in my days as a student, an undercover ritalin ring? how are you even getting the drugs? please enlighten me, if you get a from a friend who has ADD, then he doesnt have the pill for himself, the person who needs it most...

What's scary is how close to the truth you are. I normally study off campus or in our school's science library, where, according to my standards, people are pretty normal. During finals week, the regular library (for English and Psych, and Communications people) is open later so I was studying there. I kid you not, I overheard some dude on the phone in the stairwell buying some Ritalin. I'd never really thought of academic steroids before, bus the business side of selling insurance covered pills for $15 a pop intrigued me.;)

My son has been diagnosed with ADD, and he takes Concerta (An extended release version of ritalin) I took one of his pills just so that I would know exactly what I was putting him through and to see exactly how long it lasts (the literature is a bit vauge on that)

Keep in mind that I firmly belive that I have ADD myself, but through my life I have learned to cope without the use of drugs.

I found that I was able to do much better on my work, I no longer found myself wracking my brain for the proper words when I wrote an essay, and all in all helped me a lot.

The downside was that I discovered that it took about 18 hours for it to completely wear off, so I wound up changing my sons bedtime. It explained why even though I was putting him to bed at 9 pm that he wasn't falling asleep till like midnight.

If you don't have ADD/ADHD I honestly have no clue what it would do to you, and I don't think you should take it. If you think you MIGHT have ADD/ADHD then I suggest going to a doctor and telling him about it so that he can get you on the right medication for YOU.

here's the thing: if you've never taken the drug before, then you have no idea how it will affect you. not to mention, if you don't have ADHD, there's a really good chance it's going to make you feel very jittery, and then crash when you come off of it. i think that's quite a gamble to make right before some finals... could end up with you hurting your grade more than helping it because the side effects are so unpleasant/distracting, that you can't get your stuff done. it's not a cure-all, and it works differently for people with ADHD than for those without. i agree with an earlier poster who said try caffiene instead.

Well, ya its pretty much like an undercover ritalin ring, or at my school its adderall. If only med schools had any idea of how corrupted undergrad school really was...but I can't share all these things online. Its like pre-meds are sport athletes and they would do anything to be the best. I think all my pre-med friends are dependant on it now and it seems like they suffered more than they gained. I never touched the stuff, Im afraid of having coffee so I dropped to tea lol. I don't know where they get em, but I always see em with other ppl's names on the prescription. The first time I saw someone have it, the guy was hyperactive and had insomnia for 2 days!

It'll be funny to see these same ppl become doctors and they advice their patients (w/o ADD/ADHD) not to have ritalin/adderal l:smuggrin: .

I am closing this thread, because it is too close to medical advice for my comfort. If you want answers to your questions about medications consult a doctor or pharmacist.

Status
Not open for further replies.