MisterFutu

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jun 7, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Have you received any honors while in college? What can this mean.
Can this mean both either I did honors during school with research and/or I graduate with "honors"(cum laude)??

Lastly, what can the below sentence mean? Same thing as above?
What is the MOST important honor (one) you have received?

Thank you!

About the Ads
Mar 8, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I used that I graduated magna cum laude, it felt lame but it was all I had.

md-2020

The Immaculate Catch
2+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2015
Status
Medical Student
If you were PBK, PKP and such that counts too.

The_Bird

OvO
7+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I've made Dean's List (4.0 semester) for the past 3 semesters. I'll graduate cum laude.

That's about it. No scholarships/grants/etc.

ac62994

2+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Do Honor Societies count or are they just considered Extracurriculars?

Lyoness

5+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
So what if you screwed up your first year (<3.0) and then ended up with 4.0's for the next 4 semesters, could you still graduate Cum Laude even with an overall GPA of let's say 3.6? That doesn't seem fair to students who had a 4.0 through out all 8 full semesters.

Dec 10, 2013
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I would answer the two questions differently.

Have you received any honors while in college?

Research grants
Scholarships
Academic recognition
Poster/presentation awards
departmental awards

What is the MOST important honor (one) you have received?

Something that has great value to me. A token of friendship, achieving an elusive goal or a moment where someone made me feel honored/privileged.

My $0.02.

StudyLater

2+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I figure they are talking about awards and things of that nature. But it could also mean like you said a publication or some other significant accomplishment for which you were formally recognized by some entity.

Foreign students must have it hard answering these. Even for native speakers the questions can be super ambiguous.

Cotterpin

Gluconeogenesis Evangelion
2+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2015
Status
Medical Student
So what if you screwed up your first year (<3.0) and then ended up with 4.0's for the next 4 semesters, could you still graduate Cum Laude even with an overall GPA of let's say 3.6? That doesn't seem fair to students who had a 4.0 through out all 8 full semesters.
There are levels. Cum laude is just "with honor." Magna cum laude is "with great honor" and summa cum laude is "with highest honor." Depending on the school, there might be a certain percentage of each graduating class that gets these honors or they might have gpa cutoffs or something. In your hypothetical example, the 4.0 student would probably graduate summa cum laude while the 3.6 who screwed up the first year might just get cum laude.

About the Ads