Haven't heard back from programs-can I contact them?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caribcat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Apologies if this has been covered before, though I tried searching...

Any thoughts on any communication to a program that you haven't heard back from? Obviously there are only a couple of weeks left to interview, but I have the time and there are a couple of programs that I am still interested in.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, if you haven't heard them by now, it's most likely a rejection.

Interview season is almost done for most specialties with February coming up. Expect a rejection, rather than an invite.

I do know, however, that invites are still going out, but very very few.

ok. another question would be to whom would i email: the program director, or the coordinator (listed on FREIDA)?

ok. another question would be to whom would i email: the program director, or the coordinator (listed on FREIDA)?

I knew it. My response wasn't what you wanted to hear.

I would contact the program coordinator first. He/she will then tell you if you need to contact the PD directly. But often, the coordinator knows.

Again, I wouldn't contact the program. People say you have nothing to lose, but the fact is that it shows desperation. Even if it's your #1 choice... by you contacting them shows that you are desperate to hear back from them. And even if it's not your #1 choice, it shows that you are following up because either you don't have enough interviews or you can't stand the waiting. It's not what you want to hear, but believe me, take my advice for it. I've been through it.

In order to stay close to my family I'm willing to try it. I've lived away from them for too long.

Thankfully I have CV updates--that should help soften my desperation.

I don't think it shows desperation. I've been lucky enough to be offered many more interviews than I could accept, but I didn't hear back from one of the programs I would love to match at. I wasn't planning to contact them even though I was disappointed, because this is a really stellar, competitive program and I figured if I hadn't heard from them that meant they didn't want me. I spoke to one of the mods on SDN earlier this week who encouraged me to contact them, and I decided it was worth a shot. I'll be interviewing there next Friday, and am so happy I took the chance. :D

Even if it doesn't work out, at least you won't always wonder whether it would have made a difference to contact them.

Edit: I emailed the PD directly, btw, in the evening, and had an invitation in my email when I woke up the next morning. I doubt that emailing the PC would have had such a quick response.

I don't think it shows desperation. I've been lucky enough to be offered many more interviews than I could accept, but I didn't hear back from one of the programs I would love to match at. I wasn't planning to contact them even though I was disappointed, because this is a really stellar, competitive program and I figured if I hadn't heard from them that meant they didn't want me. I spoke to one of the mods on SDN earlier this week who encouraged me to contact them, and I decided it was worth a shot. I'll be interviewing there next Friday, and am so happy I took the chance. :D

Even if it doesn't work out, at least you won't always wonder whether it would have made a difference to contact them.

Edit: I emailed the PD directly, btw, in the evening, and had an invitation in my email when I woke up the next morning. I doubt that emailing the PC would have had such a quick response.

Congrats, and I agree 100%. Honestly, what do you have to lose by contacting a program? And there's a difference between being appropriately aggressive in a job hunt and acting desperate.

Every situation will find someone who is an exception to the rule. I think what tarlovcyst is saying is that if you're having to be 'aggressive', 'desperate' or whatever you want to call it, your chances of being ranked would seem low due to the fact that you weren't invited in the first place. I know there are several explanations to counter this, but just thought I'd throw that out.

Every situation will find someone who is an exception to the rule. I think what tarlovcyst is saying is that if you're having to be 'aggressive', 'desperate' or whatever you want to call it, your chances of being ranked would seem low due to the fact that you weren't invited in the first place. I know there are several explanations to counter this, but just thought I'd throw that out.

Thanks for the support.

I just put in my 2 cents for no benefit to myself.. to help all of you out, since I've been there and done that.

I knew it. My response wasn't what you wanted to hear.

I would contact the program coordinator first. He/she will then tell you if you need to contact the PD directly. But often, the coordinator knows.

Again, I wouldn't contact the program. People say you have nothing to lose, but the fact is that it shows desperation. Even if it's your #1 choice... by you contacting them shows that you are desperate to hear back from them. And even if it's not your #1 choice, it shows that you are following up because either you don't have enough interviews or you can't stand the waiting. It's not what you want to hear, but believe me, take my advice for it. I've been through it.

I don't agree. I think that contacting the program coordinator is a good idea. They get tons of applicants and if their schedule isn't already full, they can interview a person who seems to really want to go there. By all means contact them and let them know that you are interested.

i absolutely agree with those who say contacting a program coordinator is a good idea. I contacted a local program back in mid January because I hadn't heard anything back, and found out I was on the wait-list. I expressed strong interest in the program and the coordinator said she will call me back. 2 days later she called back with an interview date! Now would I have gotten that offer anyway? Maybe. I will never know. But that call sure did not hurt.