Haven't heard from 8 schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DaMedDude

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
4.0/36, okay ECs

I applied to 11 schools. Have or have had interviews at 3 of them...the other 8 I have not heard anything from at all. Is it too late in the cycle to snag a few more interviews?

Oh and for future applicants...wish I would have known this...if you have high stats, do not apply to out of state schools with significantly lower stats. I know this is has been discussed on here before and the consensus seems to have been that schools do not reject ppl because their stats are too high. After talking to an adcom at my state school during the interview and then discussing this with other applicants at an Ivy League school that I interviewed at...I definitely think schools reject ppl because their stats are too high...adcom at my state school said they do that. I'm sure every school is different. They don't want to interview people that they don't think will go to their school. I know many ppl who have interviews at many incredible schools but they all have been rejected by many of the mid-tier schools schools like Drexel and temple, etc. Hope this helps some ppl applying next cycle!

Chance me on getting any more interviews.

Schools left: Drexel, temple, Jeff, Loyola, Louisville, MCW, tufts, OSU

Applied to these schools in September mostly.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
4.0/36, okay ECs

I applied to 11 schools. Have or have had interviews at 3 of them...the other 8 I have not heard anything from at all. Is it too late in the cycle to snag a few more interviews?

Oh and for future applicants...wish I would have known this...if you have high stats, do not apply to out of state schools with significantly lower stats. I know this is has been discussed on here before and the consensus seems to have been that schools do not reject ppl because their stats are too high. After talking to an adcom at my state school during the interview and then discussing this with other applicants at an Ivy League school that I interviewed at...I definitely think schools reject ppl because their stats are too high...adcom at my state school said they do that. I'm sure every school is different. They don't want to interview people that they don't think will go to their school. I know many ppl who have interviews at many incredible schools but they all have been rejected by many of the mid-tier schools schools like Drexel and temple, etc. Hope this helps some ppl applying next cycle!

Thanks!

How high do your stats have to be for them to reject you? What did the other applicants tell you about this?

4.0/36, okay ECs

Thanks!
You have correctly identified the reason why invitations from the schools listed are unlikely at this point.
High stat applicants that are likely to come are interviewed early in the process, generally.
Some schools do not release the pool until the very end.

Did you have success elsewhere?

Members don't see this ad :)
How high do your stats have to be for them to reject you? What did the other applicants tell you about this?
Well we didn't really disclose our stats specifically but when we all had lunch and it was just us, the applicants, we had a conversation about this topic. It seemed the majority of the applicants received many II at other prestigious schools...while many of them received rejections pre-interview from "average" schools. I just found it shocking and really wish I would have applied to more highly ranked schools. This was at Dartmouth. I won't find out until I get in way later. Still waiting to hear back from my state school. Both interviews went very well I think but I'm very nervous that I will have to reapply.

You have correctly identified the reason why invitations from the schools listed are unlikely at this point.
High stat applicants that are likely to come are interviewed early in the process, generally.
Some schools do not release the pool until the very end.

Did you have success elsewhere?
Nope. I just had an interview at Dartmouth and my state school. Have one at Western Michigan coming up. I just can't believe I haven't hear anything from all the other schools I applied to! Very sad.

Oh and for future applicants...wish I would have known this...if you have high stats, do not apply to out of state schools with significantly lower stats. I know this is has been discussed on here before and the consensus seems to have been that schools do not reject ppl because their stats are too high. After talking to an adcom at my state school during the interview and then discussing this with other applicants at an Ivy League school that I interviewed at...I definitely think schools reject ppl because their stats are too high...adcom at my state school said they do that. I'm sure every school is different. They don't want to interview people that they don't think will go to their school. I know many ppl who have interviews at many incredible schools but they all have been rejected by many of the mid-tier schools schools like Drexel and temple, etc.

I don't think schools reject high stat applicants.

I think schools reject applicants that don't look like they would attend if accepted. You could be mid to low stat and also be rejected if it doesn't look like you'd attend.

Last edited:

I think schools reject applicants that don't look like they would attend if accepted. You could be mid to low stat and also be rejected if it doesn't look like you'd attend.
Wut....

I should've quoted but I was addressing the beginning of OP's second paragraph.

Yeah I agree that you can look like you wouldn't attend their school with mid to low stats but I think high stats may magnify this. But it is a good point you made...perhaps people with high stats are generally less interested in mid-tier schools. I'm just upset because this isn't the case for me. My number 1 is Sidney Kimmel (Thomas Jefferson).

Do you (gyngyn) or anyone else think that it is a good idea to send updates to the schools that take them? I really just want to let them know that after 4-5 months I am still interested in their school and then maybe put my new grades from last semester and mention that I was a TA again. But I haven't done much since being complete with my applications.....no volunteering or shadowing..been so busy. So idk whether this would hurt or help me...opinions?

Do you (gyngyn) or anyone else think that it is a good idea to send updates to the schools that take them? I really just want to let them know that after 4-5 months I am still interested in their school and then maybe put my new grades from last semester and mention that I was a TA again. But I haven't done much since being complete with my applications.....no volunteering or shadowing..been so busy. So idk whether this would hurt or help me...opinions?
As long as they accept them it probably won't hurt.

Yeah I agree that you can look like you wouldn't attend their school with mid to low stats but I think high stats may magnify this. But it is a good point you made...perhaps people with high stats are generally less interested in mid-tier schools. I'm just upset because this isn't the case for me. My number 1 is Sidney Kimmel (Thomas Jefferson).

I know this topic has been disputed before, with people saying things on both sides, but my personal experience has been consistent with what you guys are suggesting. I applied with fairly high stats, with a list that was half top-15, and half mid tier (probably like 15-50). Literally every interview I've gotten has been from a top-15 school. Absolute silence from the non-top 15's. Tbh, I find it extremely annoying - like you, the schools I was particularly interested in weren't always the tippy-top ones.

I know this topic has been disputed before, with people saying things on both sides, but my personal experience has been consistent with what you guys are suggesting. I applied with fairly high stats, with a list that was half top-15, and half mid tier (probably like 15-50). Literally every interview I've gotten has been from a top-15 school. Absolute silence from the non-top 15's. Tbh, I find it extremely annoying - like you, the schools I was particularly interested in weren't always the tippy-top ones.
You are right.
Other than state schools, a stat match is a better bet.

For the mid tiers that have essays, if you can make a strong case for why you want to go there/be in that city for the next 4 years (have lived near there, have family in the region, have a significant other who could get a good job there etc. ), I think you may have better luck. I think specifically focusing on the city and what draws you there is good. But this has just been the case for me so n=1.