Having a dog in medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doglover1997

Reaction score
I have a dog at home and I can't imagine leaving her when starting medical school. She is a 1.5 year old lab and I have spent the past year and a half training her so that she is well behaved in different situations. Could anyone speak to their experience of having a pet in medical school and what the time management was like? Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
I have a dog at home and I can't imagine leaving her when starting medical school. She is a 1.5 year old lab and I have spent the past year and a half training her so that she is well behaved in different situations. Could anyone speak to their experience of having a pet in medical school and what the time management was like? Any advice?
I have a cat , dog and 3 aquariums . You’ll be fine !!!!! It’s easy. Feel free to ask me any questions you want

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Besides, medical school is stressful- your dog will be a great stress reliever . Trust me . Also your dog is your family ! Don’t get rid of it !!!

Reactions: 4 users
I have a 4 year old Jack Russell in an apartment...if I can handle her you can handle the lab, lol.

If she’s high energy you can look into doggie daycare a few days a week, or just when you know you’ll be super busy. She gets socialization and exercise, and you get extra time to study if you need it. Some of my classmate’s spouses even walk dogs for busy medical students as a side income, so ask around!

I agree that dogs are great stress relievers. She’ll force you outside a few times a day, so you’ll have to take study breaks, and meeting classmates at the dog park is a great way to make new friends.

I would suggest moving into a house with other roommates- everyone loves labs, and this way you can ask them to hang out with her or let out when you can’t . Also you’ll be surprised how many ppl would love to have a roommate with a dog, because they miss pets. But if you live alone - Also doable (I do). Rent place close to campus

Reactions: 3 users
I have a 4 year old Jack Russell in an apartment...if I can handle her you can handle the lab, lol.

If she’s high energy you can look into doggie daycare a few days a week, or just when you know you’ll be super busy. She gets socialization and exercise, and you get extra time to study if you need it. Some of my classmate’s spouses even walk dogs for busy medical students as a side income, so ask around!

I agree that dogs are great stress relievers. She’ll force you outside a few times a day, so you’ll have to take study breaks, and meeting classmates at the dog park is a great way to make new friends.
My dog is really chill . Sleeps the whole time . But I figured out the way to multitask - installed anki app on my cell and take dog on walks . Cover 4 miles a day and several hundred cards

Reactions: 6 users
My dog is really chill . Sleeps the whole time . But I figured out the way to multitask - installed anki app on my cell and take dog on walks . Cover 4 miles a day and several hundred cards

I despise anki but I love walking my dog...maybe I should only do anki WHILE walking her? 🤔

Thank you so much guys!! This made me feel so much better! I'll be moving from California to either Michigan or Chicago. Im just worried she won't be able to transition to the snow!

If I left her, she would be at home with my parents, but I can't imagine anyone caring for her like how I do.

If anyone else has experience with a dog in medical school or any more advice, please continue to let me know. Thank you! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you so much guys!! This made me feel so much better! I'll be moving from California to either Michigan or Chicago. Im just worried she won't be able to transition to the snow!

If I left her, she would be at home with my parents, but I can't imagine anyone caring for her like how I do.

If anyone else has experience with a dog in medical school or any more advice, please continue to let me know. Thank you! :)
Well if it is YOUR dog - take her with you. If it is family dog - maybe leave her with parents . Don’t worry about snow - it will be fine

Reactions: 2 users
I have a friend who let her dog stay with her parents while she adjusted to the fall semester. She missed her so much that she’s bringing her back after the holidays to live with her. You could try that.

Consider trying !!! That’s the only time I do them . And in bathtub

I will, thanks for the suggestion! Definitely a better use of my time than ChubbyEmu videos, though I do love them.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

I moved from sunny Los Angeles to snowy Colorado with my short-haired, 30lb, senior dog who was born in LA and she LOVES the snow. She runs around and plays in it. She wants to go on long walks when it is cold out. I wouldn't let that worry you. :)
IMG_3449.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
I moved from sunny Los Angeles to snowy Colorado with my short-haired, 30lb, senior dog who was born in LA and she LOVES the snow. She runs around and plays in it. She wants to go on long walks when it is cold out. I wouldn't let that worry you. :)View attachment 325667
Your dog looks ridiculously cute !!!

• Love
Many people even manage to have kids! You will be fine

• Haha
Your dog looks ridiculously cute !!!
Isn't she! Little shelter mutt. Only bad thing about moving to somewhere with an actual winter is now she gets a winter coat and sheds SOOO much. So be prepared for that OP in case it happens to your pup.too!

• Love

She’s a Labrador! She will love the snow!

Whoa this is genius. I bet the aerobic exercise also helps with retention

Reactions: 2 users