Having a kid during the last year of pharm school...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think it's totally unfair that I have to pee standing up. I want a constitutional amendment mandating seats at all urinals.
This actually got me cracking up..nice one!

Members don't see this ad.

By the way, if I decided to adopt one of the random children around, you realize I'd still be eligible to leave work for three months to adjust to having the kid around, correct? You get annoyed at that, too? Or when people leave work to care for a dying parent?

Less annoyed, due to the universal good it would do. Three months would be excessive, however. And the dying elder thing isn't the same thing because it isn't an elective choice.

I'm sorry, but it's not that easy to adopt, and I don't want to do it. I've seen enough horror stories with adoption that I want to have no part of doing it myself when there's an alternative.

There are more horror stories involved with child birth. Like, I don't know, you could die.

So, in your mind, I'm going to go ahead and be "selfish and annoying" and have a kid. You can certainly feel that way, but don't expect me to feel that that's what I'm doing.

Man, you know I'm right. It's ok.

Don't worry; I'll send you private messages detailing the entire pregnancy. :p Since, you know, we live on opposite coasts and the fact that I have a child will in no way effect your life, except maybe for me posting more in the middle of the night on SDN when I'm up with a crying baby.

If you worked with me, you would annoy me. Thankfully, you don't. As of last week, I work with nothing but older men, so I am freed of this horribly annoying occurrence happening to me. However, I do feel for your coworkers that have to put up with you and your elective choice to abandon them.

Okay, I kind of understand how we got to the whole Medicaid issue, as there's the Medicaid thread a lot of us are participating in, too.

(But, what I don't quite understand is how it's assumed that I, married, with a previous degree, and in my second year of pharmacy school, would not think that there might be health problems in a pregnancy/with a newborn that would require prior planning. Or that I would need Medicaid in the first place. But I digress.)

PharmDstudent, if you aren't being sarcastic (which I honestly can't tell if you are or not), you say that SHC can know all about having an independent financial life just because of working and paying taxes, even while still being largely supported by her parents. I was supported a lot by my father through college (for which I'm very grateful), but it wasn't until I was in grad school with a salary of a stipend, then combining finances with my husband, and now being in pharmacy school with student loan debt, that I really feel like I have a pattern of my financial habits (and started doing things differently than my dad does!). And I imagine as my money situation changes over the years, my financial and investing habits will also change.

In a similar topic, I have no idea what it's like to be 60. Sure, we had an exercise in class where we wore rubber gloves, bound our knees, and wore greasy glasses. But that won't compare to actually being that age every day. I can educate myself, but it won't be the same. And imagining my elder years will be exactly like the most healthy 60, 70, and 80 y.o.'s shows I really don't understand risk and what it means to get older. SHC is certainly entitled to her own opinions, but she does sound a lot like she thinks she knows everything about life and doesn't comprehend that **** happens. A diagnosis of cancer can kill your finances, especially if your health slowly declines. There's a ton of other diseases one can have, too, and eating right and exercising will reduce your risk but never, ever eliminate it.
When I'm being sarcastic, I will write "*note sarcasm*" or use an emoticon.

I didn't say that she's knows everything, because no one is omniscient, but she does know that we live in a "capitalistic" society where wealthier people have to pay for Medicaid without getting any benefit from it. She also knows what it's like to pay taxes, because she's worked legitimately before and plans to do so in the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's also a right to be able to own property. But the government doesn't give you property or pay for everyone to own property. Enough people want to own property and have the means to buy it, so there's not a huge amount of unowned property around (unlike, say, with the Western expansion when the government was giving out free land).

The government does plenty to encourage children (tax credits) but doesn't need to assist in fertility treatments because enough people get pregnant on their own. 50% of pregnancies are unplanned, after all. If we were all able to control our fertility and not get pregnant unless we absolutely wanted to, then the government would probably have to assist in fertility treatments and/or give lots of benefits to encourage people to have kids. That's what places like Japan, some European countries, and Russia are doing so that their age demographics aren't all screwed up by too many elderly and not enough young people.

That's actually probably the real reason our maternity leave and paternity leave are so scarce compared to other developed countries. We have so many people who are willing to make the current system work (stay home, go without pay, etc.) that we don't need to encourage people. Yes, money can do lots, but it won't make people magically appear to care for you in your old age or keep the country functional. Go ahead and read up what's going on in countries with a large percentage of elderly.
I'm sure it won't be a problem here. We have plenty of "anchor babies" being born and sponsored by Medicaid to take up the slack. :scared:

Why the hell do you people think that I'm taking Spanish? For my health? I don't even like Spanish all that much... It's so that I can counsel parents who don't speak English. Work in the New Orleans area and tell me how many times you need to know how to speak Spanish to effectively serve Spanish speaking parents? It was daily where I worked.
It would be nice to speak Arabic or Mandarin too, but I'm not that fast at learning languages!

Sure, it's not the child's fault. But why are we encouraging people to have children on Medicaid in a "capitalistic" country? It's beyond me...

Last edited:
Isn't PCOS diagnosed through some kind of estrogen/testosterone ratio? It would be kind of hard to fake that.
Not all women will have cysts on their ovaries, so it leaves the door wide open for female obesity to be blamed on this syndrome.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/polycystic-ovary-syndrome/DS00423

Obesity, itself, can mess up a hormonal balance or genetics, like this man that I knew who was running at 80% estrogen and 20% testosterone, can cause it, too. So... it's not necessarily "faked"... it's just pigeon holing a hormonal imbalance as a syndrome - that I worry about.