Okay, I kind of understand how we got to the whole Medicaid issue, as there's the Medicaid thread a lot of us are participating in, too.
(But, what I don't quite understand is how it's assumed that I, married, with a previous degree, and in my second year of pharmacy school, would not think that there might be health problems in a pregnancy/with a newborn that would require prior planning. Or that I would need Medicaid in the first place. But I digress.)
PharmDstudent, if you aren't being sarcastic (which I honestly can't tell if you are or not), you say that SHC can know all about having an independent financial life just because of working and paying taxes, even while still being largely supported by her parents. I was supported a lot by my father through college (for which I'm very grateful), but it wasn't until I was in grad school with a salary of a stipend, then combining finances with my husband, and now being in pharmacy school with student loan debt, that I really feel like I have a pattern of my financial habits (and started doing things differently than my dad does!). And I imagine as my money situation changes over the years, my financial and investing habits will also change.
In a similar topic, I have no idea what it's like to be 60. Sure, we had an exercise in class where we wore rubber gloves, bound our knees, and wore greasy glasses. But that won't compare to actually being that age every day. I can educate myself, but it won't be the same. And imagining my elder years will be exactly like the most healthy 60, 70, and 80 y.o.'s shows I really don't understand risk and what it means to get older. SHC is certainly entitled to her own opinions, but she does sound a lot like she thinks she knows everything about life and doesn't comprehend that **** happens. A diagnosis of cancer can kill your finances, especially if your health slowly declines. There's a ton of other diseases one can have, too, and eating right and exercising will reduce your risk but never, ever eliminate it.