Having a major, non-medicine related EC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DendWrite

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just curious if this would be looked upon unfavorably. Currently, I'm an editor for our school's paper. It sounds small, but it's a pretty involved job (about 30 hrs. per week), involves managing writers, sometimes writing stories myself, etc.

Here's my problem: I'm reasonably sure that I want to go into medicine, probably research. But as it stands, I'm only spending about 8 hrs. per week at the lab. Are med schools going to be like, hey, if he works at the paper so much, why does he even want to do medicine?

I enjoy doing the paper, but I'm not an aspiring journalist, it's just a hobby I enjoy. I'd like to continue being involved, but, next semester, should I taper off a bit (just be a writer, not an editor) and focus more on what I'm, well, actually interested in doing when I graduate?

Members don't see this ad.

1. do what you love, not what you think will impress adcoms. it seems as though you have a leadership position- adcoms love that.
2. as long as you have medically related ECs so that you can demonstrate that you know what you're getting into, thats fine.
good luck!

Hi all,

Just curious if this would be looked upon unfavorably. Currently, I'm an editor for our school's paper. It sounds small, but it's a pretty involved job (about 30 hrs. per week), involves managing writers, sometimes writing stories myself, etc.

Here's my problem: I'm reasonably sure that I want to go into medicine, probably research. But as it stands, I'm only spending about 8 hrs. per week at the lab. Are med schools going to be like, hey, if he works at the paper so much, why does he even want to do medicine?

I enjoy doing the paper, but I'm not an aspiring journalist, it's just a hobby I enjoy. I'd like to continue being involved, but, next semester, should I taper off a bit (just be a writer, not an editor) and focus more on what I'm, well, actually interested in doing when I graduate?

Having major, non-medicine-related ECs is great. Every application has medically related ECs, so yours stands out. But don't be lulled into thinking that you don't also need medicine-related ECs. ADCOMs will want to see that you have taken the time to explore the profession of medicine through shadowing and interacting through patients (most often in a volunteer setting, although paid clinical experience is great).

Members don't see this ad :)
I do have some medicine related ECs. I do research in the summer, and during the year I volunteer at a hospital and am an assistant in a lab. I also plan to do some shadowing.

My main concern was simply that MD/PhD programs might question my devotion to becoming a scientist if the majority of my extracurricular time is spent on a non-science activity. Thanks for the advice so far.

I do have some medicine related ECs. I do research in the summer, and during the year I volunteer at a hospital and am an assistant in a lab. I also plan to do some shadowing.

My main concern was simply that MD/PhD programs might question my devotion to becoming a scientist if the majority of my extracurricular time is spent on a non-science activity. Thanks for the advice so far.

I still think it's a positive. Showing dedication to anything gives some insight into your ability to be dedicated to medicine/science. As an example, schools like to see ECs like music, sports, etc. They like "well-rounded" people. And you're going to spend the rest of your life in science and medicine, so don't give up on what you enjoy doing now.