Having medical marijuana card

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ahh919191

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what will happen if you get one while being in pharmacy school? Or just woke working

Members don't see this ad.

Don't ever rotate in a federal institution, since marijuana is still illegal according to federal law.

Members don't see this ad :)
Marijuana is illegal in all 50 states. Why would you get one to begin with?

If you test positive, your license is at risk. You will have to go into a rehab program. The state board will require regular drug testing.

Keep in mind marijuana is federally illegal and some sites will require drug testing and have problems with a positive cannabis reading regardless of if it is legal at the state level. It's best to avoid it in school in my opinion. Just in my APPE year I've had to do 2 drug screens for rotation sites and likely will need to do more. It's not worth risking.

You will not get a job without a clean drug test... At least not until 2017 or even beyond, but the trend is clear, just like gay marriage, marijuana will be legal in all 50 states sooner or later. For now, stay away as far as possible until it becomes legal.

Yea, great if you have a card, but stupid if you are looking for a job. Most jobs, especially corporate ones or big companies or big operations do drug tests, and if it comes up positive for marijuana then you aren't getting the job. It's an automatic you're not hired. After you get the job, and you are sure you don't get drug tested, go ahead and smoke as much as you want. Just make sure you don't make any mistakes in which your employer will question your judgement and need to drug test you, or if you quit or get fired and need a new job, you better make sure you piss out water.

There was a case where a Wal-Mart employee was legally using marijuana under his states medical marijuana law (I think he had a cancer diagnosis), he tested positive (obviously) under a random drug screen & Wal-Mart fired him. He sued under ADA, and lost. The courts said that since marijuana is not federally recognized as a legal drug, that Wal-Mart can fire an employee for using it, even if they are using it legally under their state law.

I don't know how that would affect you as a student, I'm guessing it would depend on your individual school's policy & your individual state's licensing board policy. I don't know that you would automatically be a risk with your state board, the state board is a state board, not a federal board, and they may very well accept the states policies towards marijuana use (or they may not, its going to depend on your states board.)

But, you will certainly not be eligible for hire at Wal-Mart, and probably most other chains and hospitals, even if you are legally using according to your state. So, at this point in time, I think your employment options will be limited to independent pharmacies. Of course, this might all be changed by the time you graduate, as more and more states are recognizing medical marijuana and putting pressure on the federal government to change its policies.

Do you guys think that a positive drug test will not be used against someone IF marijuana becomes federally legal?

Do you guys think that a positive drug test will not be used against someone IF marijuana becomes federally legal?
It would depend on company policy. I've heard of work places that test for alcohol and opiates even though those are legal to consume.

Most employers have rules regarding alcohol. Pretty much they say you can't come to work drunk and that sort of thing.

I wouldn't count on it, as mentioned places already ban employees from using tobacco off-hours, even though it is perfectly legal and not going to affect anyone's work performance. My best guess is it will be a mix, if federally legal, than some employers will allow it, and others won't.