Having residency in which state is best?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCLA Paratrooper

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

If I don't get into medical school this cycle, I have to go on active duty for the Army. Since I have some say in where I want to be stationed, I was wondering which state has the most medical schools that accepts applicants with lower stats (GPA & MCAT)? My intentions are that I would go to maybe Texas or New York for a year or two, establish residency, and then apply to the state schools? Which states do you guys recommend? Thanks!

UCLA Paratrooper

Members don't see this ad.

I would have guessed that California would be a decent place to be given the large number of med schoos, but I guess I'm wrong there.

If you're particularly interested in a particular state school, you could always request to go to that state. A few good state schools come to mind: U Michigan, U Pen, and many of the UCs. But if you're looking for a state with a state schools that accepts people with lower GPAs/MCATs - I'd have to guess a few in places with not so great educational systems...umm...not to sound stereotypical, but states like Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia.

What about North Carolina? I know Wake is a good school that's not too terribly difficult to get into that gives some preference to people from NC (even if they don't say it, check out the admission disparity between in-state and out-of-state). Plus there is UNC-Chapel Hill which I remember as being pretty good (esp. for Public Health folks). Ask Sweat Tea about this - I think she's from around there and applying.

i would say north carolina and michigan for quality schools that accept a large % in state. wait wait - who can beat the texas system? that seems like the best if thats your bag.

Members don't see this ad :)
OHIO. If you look at the stats found in the AMCAS web site Ohio has the largest percent acceptance for residents. I think it was %47

Originally posted by Adcadet
A few good state schools come to mind: U Michigan, U Pen, and many of the
University of Pennsylvania is certainly not a state school, trust me I have the student loans to prove it.

ah. My mistake. Then I guess the U of Chicago isn't pubic either ;)

U of Kansas accepts more then 30% of in state applicants. I think the number was 420 in state applicants and 165 accepted. Avg MCAT of about 27, and GPA of around 3.5. Pretty sweet to be premed in Kansas I guess.

Only bad thing is that if you blow your interview at KU you are pretty muched screwed since thats the only Med school in Kansas.

UHM-JAB :D
average gpa 3.5, really nice, laid-back adm. committee :)

If you can stand to be in Texas, it has a good medical school system and is very inexpensive.

NOT California!!!

I have heard that New York isn't great either, used to be harder than CA, if you can believe that. But I don't know that for sure. Texas seems like a good idea and the other place that comes to mind is Vermont, although I don't know if you can be stationed there. Check the MSAR and compare the percentage of applicants from each state who apply to each state school and the percentage who ultimately get accepted.

Hey! Yup, I'm from NC and applying to all of our fine schools, but I'm not applying to Dook (i'm just not a fan of Dook-- as most of you know). NC is a great state to be a resident of when you're applying to med school. Wake and UNC-CH both give strong prefeneces for NC residents (even if Wake won't admit it), and ECU won't even interview you if you're not from NC-- they've never accepted a non-NC resident. I could be wrong about this, but I don't think Dook gives a rat's ass about residency, although I believe NC is well-represented there. Around here, Wake, UNC, and ECU are very well respected; Wake was just named the most "wired" campus, UNC is great in just about everything (go Heels), and ECU has very strong primary care and rural medicine programs (and is the cheapest school in the country). I just love my state... I hope one of those schools smiles on me!!

If you're not attracted to NC, I believe Texas, Ohio, and Georgia also give very strong preferences to state residents, but you'd have to check with one of their residents...

Originally posted by Adcadet

What about North Carolina? I know Wake is a good school that's not too terribly difficult to get into that gives some preference to people from NC (even if they don't say it, check out the admission disparity between in-state and out-of-state). Plus there is UNC-Chapel Hill which I remember as being pretty good (esp. for Public Health folks). Ask Sweat Tea about this - I think she's from around there and applying.

Originally posted by Wednesday
NOT California!!!

I have heard that New York isn't great either, used to be harder than CA, if you can believe that.

is NY that bad? I know there are a lot of people in NY, but there are just about a million medical schools there (the SUNYs, Cornell, Columbia, mount sinai, nyu, einstein, albany, nymc, a couple osteopathic schools, am i forgetting any?) well, those privates probably dont exclude much on a state residency basis, but still thats a lot of schools.

huh huh, he said pubic :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Green912
OHIO. If you look at the stats found in the AMCAS web site Ohio has the largest percent acceptance for residents. I think it was %47

Yes - Ohio. We have SIX allopathic schools, and one DO, all of which favor Ohio residents. There is quite a range too, so you won't be applying to just one quality level.

MD

Case
Ohio State
Cinci
NEOUCOM
MCO
Wright State

DO

Ohio University

IIRC there is also something special about being ex-military and a Texas resident that gets you an additional scholarship at the Texas schools - can't remember the details though - maybe someone from Texas will know what I mean

I think dook takes 50% in-state too. They have good reason, they get money from the state if they take 50% of the class from within the state. Wake does the same thing.

Gotta back anyone from UNC :)

I'm not going to go so far as to say that CA is the best state to live in in terms of purely getting an acceptance period. That might be too much of an overstatement.

But Irvine and Davis take like 99% in-state students. And if you can get into any of the UCs, you are sitting pretty. Excellent reputations, low tuition, plus you're in CA!

Virginia guys? EVMS and UVa give BIG pref. to in state...too bad VCU/MCV doesn't. They're all very good even if very few SDNers apply to either EVMS or MCV :(

It totally depends on what you are looking for. If you're looking for the best public schools, look no farther than CA. If you're looking for public schools that are super easy for in-state residents to attend, then avoid CA like the plague.

Originally posted by gold&black2005
Virginia guys? EVMS and UVa give BIG pref. to in state...too bad VCU/MCV doesn't. They're all very good even if very few SDNers apply to either EVMS or MCV :(

Can't go wrong with Virginia! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Originally posted by Diogenes
I'm not going to go so far as to say that CA is the best state to live in in terms of purely getting an acceptance period. That might be too much of an overstatement.

But Irvine and Davis take like 99% in-state students. And if you can get into any of the UCs, you are sitting pretty. Excellent reputations, low tuition, plus you're in CA!

So if that is true and that UC is mostly made up of CA students.....and if the following is also true:
If you're looking for public schools that are super easy for in-state residents to attend, then avoid CA like the plague.
, is that because there are just sooooo many CA students applying? And even though most of the UC body is made up of CA students, a relatively large number of them are still rejected?

Ever notice that at a lot of private schools on the east coast, when they say where their students come from, it is always something like:

1. Whatever state the school is in
2. California

I mean, damn, that's because there are too many Cali people for their own state schools.
I curse my CA residency.
Unless, of course, i actually get into one of the schools. (keeping fingers crossed).

I'd recommend against Massachusetts. I love living here, don't get me wrong; and UMass-Worcester, the only in-state school, don't accept applications from folks outside the Commonwealth. But UMass (GPA 3.6 MCAT 30+) is pretty selective for a state school, and the other schools in MA (BU, Harvard, and Tufts) don't have any preference for in-staters...:(

Originally posted by tedstriker
I'd recommend against Massachusetts. I love living here, don't get me wrong; and UMass-Worcester, the only in-state school, don't accept applications from folks outside the Commonwealth. But UMass (GPA 3.6 MCAT 30+) is pretty selective for a state school, and the other schools in MA (BU, Harvard, and Tufts) don't have any preference for in-staters...:(

Also, to be a Mass resident if you didn't graduate from a Mass high school, you must have lived here for 5 consecutive years. I even asked UMASS and there is no going around the rule.