Which state would I count as an in-state resident for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anonimo21

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Different states/schools have different in-state requirements which you normally apply for after you get in! You can google the different requirements on state websites and some schools even have paths for you that allow you to become a resident after a year or so (in hopes you stay there to serve that state) Otherwise it’s definitely important to highlight your connection to these different states when you apply for their schools! Hope that helps!

Different states/schools have different in-state requirements which you normally apply for after you get in! You can google the different requirements on state websites and some schools even have paths for you that allow you to become a resident after a year or so (in hopes you stay there to serve that state) Otherwise it’s definitely important to highlight your connection to these different states when you apply for their schools! Hope that helps!

So should I apply to the state schools of all three states ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, because you have ties to all 3 states, although your ties to NY are pretty weak. The bottom line for PA vs. NJ is whether or not your parents claim you as a dependent on their tax returns.

If they do, which is likely since you only work part time, then you are a NJ resident for IS application and tuition purposes, which is actually a huge plus for you. The IS preference in PA is negligible, while it's huge in NJ.

Just use your parents' NJ address as your permanent address. OTOH, if you are truly independent, then you are a PA resident, and should go with that.

Before you apply, make sure they value connections to the state if you don’t qualify for in state. When I applied, my actual state of physical residence didn’t give me any in state residence, because I was there only for my undergrad, and the two schools for in state both said that’s not good enough. They also didn’t care that I had lived there, had two babies there, and voted there. Always do your due diligence and look at each school to be absolutely sure you aren’t throwing money into the wind applying to a school with strict IS requirements and very few, if any, OOS acceptances.

Reactions: 2 users
Don’t apply to the NY public schools. I doubt the ties matter and they have many NY residents who apply there every year.

Agree with the above about checking on what actual constitutes as being a resident/strong ties and seeing what your tax filing situation is.

Reactions: 2 users