having second thoughts about career

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cozycleo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Fortunately I'm only doing my undergrad right now (biology), so I have time to think about this. The more work I've been doing with local zoos and wildlife has got me thinking that I may rather do conservation biology or ecology rather than vet med. I'm still trying to stay open to all possibilities right now, but I have been seeing myself lean that way more and more.

My biggest concern, however, is the ability to find a job in the field. I recently sent my resume and a letter to my local US Fish & Wildlife office regarding their student employment programs. I'm also keeping my eyes open for possible work in the Dept of Natural Resources and other related organizations. I have a mortgage and a husband, and we are eventually thinking of starting a family. So there are concerns in those aspects. Part of me thinks that if I get my masters and maybe later on a PhD in conservation biology or ecology (totally possible at my local university) that maybe I can be completely happy doing that. But again, I'm worried about the ability to find work.

I'm beginning to wonder if my heart is really in vet med, so I definitely don't want to waste my time and energy if it isn't. But on the same token, I'm trying to keep an open mind and see where my experiences take me.

Any advice? I am trying to figure out what I need to do in order to be successful. The most important thing is that I don't take the super easy route and fall back into my old career in law.

Any insight from those who have worked in the field would be useful. :)

Members don't see this ad.

This may sound very vague, but it completely depends on what you want to do with your degree(s). It also depends on where you live and if willing to relocate. I have a MS in wildlife ecology, and many of the more "appealing" jobs require a PhD and research experience (more or less the same amount of time it would take to go to vet school and do a wildlife/zoo residency).

Sorry, short on time, but PM me and I can tell you more (of my opinions)

Hi! Sorry, I can't be of much help as far as careers in conservation bio, although the USDA and/or Forestry Service sounds like a good place to start. I can, however, relate to changing your mind about vet med. Personally, I've also given this a lot of thought lately and reflected on it, and I've decided to leave vet school (on a leave of absence at first, in case I change my mind) and pursue other careers. I think a big part of that is that I feel like I never really explored other careers, because I've always been so tunnel-visioned. I'm a bit nervous about not knowing what I'm doing, but also pretty excited to explore other options!

I'd say, if you really think you'd enjoy conservation bio better, go for it. I think there may be other things that you can fall back on if the jobs you're specifically looking for aren't available (eg. teaching, museum education, etc).

Hope that helps. Feel free to PM me! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
4paws: I did send a PM. Thanks!

zpinkpanther: I think I'm with you. I went into it with tunnel vision and didn't explore other avenues. Now that I've spent more time with the local zoos and wildlife center than in vet clinics, I've discovered that actual vet med doesn't interest me as much as I thought. I'm trying to keep an open mind, but I've shown some interest in education, research, and other related areas. I'm finding that I have more in common with people in those fields than the veterinary people I've met and shadowed. It's confusing, but I tell you I love that I gave myself the opportunity to explore these things so I could find this out!

I've also found that I don't have a lot in common with some of my classmates. I've made a few really good friends here, but most of the people I feel like I can't relate to very well.

It's good that you're thinking about this before you go to vet school- I wish I had! Good luck! :luck:

I have worked in international conservation research (1yr), zoo curator (3yr), NOAA Observer (2yr), pet training business (2yr FT, 10yr PT), and vet tech (1 yr.)

My degree is in biology with heavy emphasis on ecology and ethology. I also completed most pre-reqs (all for some schools at the time) with my degree. I am returning to vet school after nearly a decade out.

I LOVE conservation biology. I found that I couldn't move up the ranks without a master's degree, or I was waiting on someone else to quit and would have to relocate on my own dime repeatedly for minimal increases in income. In the zoo world, I was at the stage where I couldn't move up unless one of less than 100 individuals moved on...and the competition would have been about 100 people. I also found that better paying jobs required the opposit of what I wanted to be doing. At one job interview, I was told that if I was conservative in site assessments, I wouldn't survive the 90 day trial. It was pretty typical in that field (wetlands assessment, supposedly indepent.)

I also found a lot of the work I loved to be temporary and transitory. I grew tired of 1 year contracts, and seasonal job offers. Lack of health insurance, high risk positions (spent a season trapping and tagging rattle snakes), with long hours and relativley low pay ($195 per sea day, with most sea days required 20 hours of deck time) in extreme conditions. Don't get me wrong...I loved what I did, but I also grew weary of it, and the lack of progress and reliance on funding that could dry up without warning.

I also found that I still yearned for vet med. In all my jobs, I spent as much time as possible working with vets. Even if it wasn't a primary component of my job; I would end up staying after work to do a dolphin necropsy or to run treatments to improve the condition of non-releasable exotics.

Oddly, I found that I LIKED the business aspects as well, which I thought I wouldn't like when I was considering vet med back in school.

I don't know if there is a good way to figure out what you might prefer. If there is career counseling at your school, see if they can help. Also, volunteer in both fields. See if you can find internships for college credit. Also, consider that you might be able to combine the fields. I know a vet who specializes in endagered species genetics/breeding for zoos, and I know a vet who provides assistance to state biologists in fauna surveys.

I would be happy to share more of my experiences, though I don't necessarily have great answers....if I didn't get in vet med I was thinking PhD in ecology or ethology.

I've also found that I don't have a lot in common with some of my classmates. I've made a few really good friends here, but most of the people I feel like I can't relate to very well.

Zpink - I think that is a really good (and underrated) indication.

I decided to pursue vet school when I was in an MBA program. The people in my classes were so passionate about what they were doing. I didn't fit in at all and when I thought about that and about how I felt in my job at the time (cube dweller in the corporate world), that was pretty much how I knew that I needed to change my future.

Fortunately I'm only doing my undergrad right now (biology), so I have time to think about this. The more work I've been doing with local zoos and wildlife has got me thinking that I may rather do conservation biology or ecology rather than vet med. I'm still trying to stay open to all possibilities right now, but I have been seeing myself lean that way more and more.

My biggest concern, however, is the ability to find a job in the field. I recently sent my resume and a letter to my local US Fish & Wildlife office regarding their student employment programs. I'm also keeping my eyes open for possible work in the Dept of Natural Resources and other related organizations. I have a mortgage and a husband, and we are eventually thinking of starting a family. So there are concerns in those aspects. Part of me thinks that if I get my masters and maybe later on a PhD in conservation biology or ecology (totally possible at my local university) that maybe I can be completely happy doing that. But again, I'm worried about the ability to find work.

I'm beginning to wonder if my heart is really in vet med, so I definitely don't want to waste my time and energy if it isn't. But on the same token, I'm trying to keep an open mind and see where my experiences take me.

Any advice? I am trying to figure out what I need to do in order to be successful. The most important thing is that I don't take the super easy route and fall back into my old career in law.

Any insight from those who have worked in the field would be useful. :)

Maybe I'm missing something, but nowhere in your post did you mention an interest in working in vet med. An equine vet once told me that I should only go into vet med if it's the only career I could imagine. Since that isn't the case, you can always do an M.S. and see where you're heart and head are at. If you decide you want to go to vet school, your MS will only help you. It will also give you a taste of grad school and you will know if you want to continue on to get a PhD. Also, you're likely to leave an M.S./PhD in the sciences (ie bio) without owing $...look around and see what kind of fellowships/assistantships are available at your local university. There is no way to get around spending big bucks on a vet school education. Just my 2 cents...good luck