Having second thoughts :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A.flowers

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a pre-dental hygiene student..before doing this, I shadowed a few hygienists and worked as a dental assistant for a year. I'll be done with my pre req's this fall & that's when I'll be applying to my university.. however I just don't feel like this is what I want. I've noticed hygiene is super repetitive, and I can see myself eventually getting bored. The school I'm applying to has a "bridge program" meaning, it's a program where students go through DH to DDS. I don't have my pre req's for that program completed, but I'll need Gen Chem, O Chem, Gen Bio, Biochem & physics, and I'll need to take the DAT. I don't really know what to do, because I feel like I'm wasting time and the application for my program (DH) is coming up soon. I can either go through the DH program, and then take pre req's for DDS or continue school & apply to the bridge program.
I can't seem to decide what the best choice is.. so my question is, what choice is the most time efficient? Which one, in your opinion seems the best?
I'll be 22 soon, my estimated guess is that I'll be 24 when I apply to dental school, 28 when I graduate. Is that too old?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm currently a pre-dental hygiene student..before doing this, I shadowed a few hygienists and worked as a dental assistant for a year. I'll be done with my pre req's this fall & that's when I'll be applying to my university.. however I just don't feel like this is what I want. I've noticed hygiene is super repetitive, and I can see myself eventually getting bored. The school I'm applying to has a "bridge program" meaning, it's a program where students go through DH to DDS. I don't have my pre req's for that program completed, but I'll need Gen Chem, O Chem, Gen Bio, Biochem & physics, and I'll need to take the DAT. I don't really know what to do, because I feel like I'm wasting time and the application for my program (DH) is coming up soon. I can either go through the DH program, and then take pre req's for DDS or continue school & apply to the bridge program.
I can't seem to decide what the best choice is.. so my question is, what choice is the most time efficient? Which one, in your opinion seems the best?
I'll be 22 soon, my estimated guess is that I'll be 24 when I apply to dental school, 28 when I graduate. Is that too old?

So, it's good you are taking a step back before you are in too deep. I'm an RDH and I can attest that the job is indeed redundant but never boring. Dentistry in itself can be redundant across the board. I think in your decision making process you need to consider various things: 1. Money (which option will be best/cheaper in the long run for you), 2. Can your GPA as is stand up to finishing out prerequisites and going straight for the DDS? (If not, will the RDH to DDS bridge be a better shot for you in creating the best application possible? I wish this would have been around at my university!) 3. Is dentistry really for you? You seem to have a grasp of the professions but what makes you think you want to be a dentist? (I mean that nicer than it reads! :)) It's a great question to ask before you jump on another path before careful consideration.

And no... you will not be too old. You are still young and graduating dental school before 30 is great! The average dental student now is 25. I graduated hygiene school at 22, applied last year at 28, accepted at 29. I will graduate at 34 and I know I am not the oldest in my class. Do I wish I had gone sooner (at your age)? Sure! But age is relative and doesn't matter when you think about living your life with no "what ifs." Hope that gives you some food for thought, good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
1.) you're still young and below the average age of incoming dental students (25-26) and thank you for reminding me how much I've aged.

2.) fyi every job gets boring after a while, the people that say its not boring have one of those rare unicorn jobs or are full of it, the latter scenario being more likely.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
28 is absolutely not too old for your class. There are people who start dental school in their late 30s/early 40s, and they're young!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
22 is young! I heard the average of incoming dental students is 26-27. So cheerup, you're doing great! :)

Reactions: 1 user
:thumbdown:28 is too old to finish dental school(source- am starting dental school at 31)

seriously though, not bad to work your way through school with hygiene degree

You are never to old to get an education like everyone has said. As you get older, you'll realize that your body is still going to work great at 30,35, and 40... At ~50 it'll depend on how good you've taken care of yourself... then you can call yourself old-ish.

As to wasting time, I don't think either is a waste of time. As an RDH you'll have an easier time in dental school since you have already honed in on some of the manual dexterity skills you'll need. You may come out a better dentist clinically and make more money after you get your DDS since your production could be higher. Or you could go straight to DDS and possibly make more income faster... I think you need to make a decision that is best for you financially, mentally, physically, etc...

What do YOU want? Flip a coin. Heads=Pathway program. Tails=Straight to DDS.

What was you reaction after flipping the coin? Regret or elation? If you feel disappointed, don't listen to the coin toss. If you feel elated, listen to the coin toss.