Having Trouble Deciding which Field to Go into

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fj25

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm pretty sure this topic has come up before but i can't find the posts for it. I'm a 4th year and I dont know what I want to do.

It seems like I could do anything if I was forced but since I have a decision. I cant make one.

I would like to make good money and have a nice lifestyle. Who doesnt? I willing to take a pay cut for a nice rlife style.

It's hard just picking family or pysch when I know that NP or NA can make almost as much. It feels like a slap in the face, even though it really isnt.

I dont want to live in the hospital and i dont want to round on patients after residency.

Members don't see this ad.

fj25 said:
Hi everyone, I'm pretty sure this topic has come up before but i can't find the posts for it. I'm a 4th year and I dont know what I want to do.

It seems like I could do anything if I was forced but since I have a decision. I cant make one.

I would like to make good money and have a nice lifestyle. Who doesnt? I willing to take a pay cut for a nice rlife style.

It's hard just picking family or pysch when I know that NP or NA can make almost as much. It feels like a slap in the face, even though it really isnt.

I dont want to live in the hospital and i dont want to round on patients after residency.

Check out Rad Onc and Derm. Both are outpatient based fields with patient contact, reasonable hours, and good compensation. As such, both are also extremely competitive-- but if it's what you want to do, you'll eventually find a way in (when there's a will there's a way). Optho, rads, path, anesthesia could also be options. You might want to look at all of those fields in more depth to find out what might be the best fit for you.

From what I've heard, the compensation for psych isnt terrible, and it generally exceeds that of FP.

You might also consider pysch and pm&r because they are a little less competitive than the others previously mentioned and they also offer a nice lifestyle.

Thanks, I appreciate the suggestions.

medgator said:
Check out Rad Onc and Derm. Both are outpatient based fields with patient contact, reasonable hours, and good compensation. As such, both are also extremely competitive-- but if it's what you want to do, you'll eventually find a way in (when there's a will there's a way). Optho, rads, path, anesthesia could also be options. You might want to look at all of those fields in more depth to find out what might be the best fit for you.

From what I've heard, the compensation for psych isnt terrible, and it generally exceeds that of FP.
I guess the psych average is 130-140, but the people I know make $180,000 in psych or $300,000 in forensic psych. I don't think NPs get that much. It just depends on how you want to spend your day. Anesthesia has a good income but days start early. Derm has great hours and income but it's boring and hard to get into. Rads you like or you don't (?) but is also pretty hard to get.

nolagas said:
I guess the psych average is 130-140, but the people I know make $180,000 in psych or $300,000 in forensic psych. I don't think NPs get that much. It just depends on how you want to spend your day. Anesthesia has a good income but days start early. Derm has great hours and income but it's boring and hard to get into. Rads you like or you don't (?) but is also pretty hard to get.

why not medicine...its a good general residency, and will allow you to sub-specialize after that...

you dont have to pick a specialty (derm or radonc) if you like general medicine...plus, doing a fellowship (GI, allergy, endo, rheum, ID) will still allow for outpt work with pretty good compensation (200+) and good lifestyle.

or er?

toxic-megacolon said:
Nuclear Medicine is short, and pretty laid back.

Hows the job market though for straight nucs? Ive heard it might be dwindling as most places like the people who have a double board in rads and nucs (since you have to interpret the diagnostic nuclear studies).