Having your PI call the dean of admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh, I fully agree that legacies exist (while people on SDN piss and moan about URM policies, they never, ever complain about legacies), but they're not going to come from phone calls from a PI.

Children of donors, faculty or deans...those are the people getting in. I once interviewed a kid who was as dumb a a post, but we had to take him over my objections because he had a relative who was going to donate to a unit within our University's system.

Except in cases where the polite interview becomes a polite acceptance... This process isn't above corrupting influences, as much as we all want it to be.

If this kind of thing doesn't happen at your shool, then it's got my respect. But that can't be said for every med school and dean in the country.

Reactions: 2 users
Dont be nïeve. Networking and having people vouch for you is the best way to get your foot in the door.

Okay, sure.

I'll go ahead and use my parents' connections to get a leg up over the poor kid working three jobs just to pay for school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dont be nïeve. Networking and having people vouch for you is the best way to get your foot in the door.
This factor is much more likely to have a positive effect at the residency application level where the communities are smaller and the players are better known to each other.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
Okay, sure.

I'll go ahead and use my parents' connections to get a leg up over the poor kid working three jobs just to pay for school.

You should. Everyone else does and that's the way the system works. Networking etc. becomes even more important later in your career. A well crafted LOR is great, a call from one old pal to another vouching for you is gold. The door swings both ways though. I've seen dreams die a swift death sitting in the physicians lounge with a 60 second phone call.

--
Il Destriero

Reactions: 1 user
You should. Everyone else does and that's the way the system works. Networking etc. becomes even more important later in your career. A well crafted LOR is great, a call from one old pal to another vouching for you is gold. The door swings both ways though. I've seen dreams die a swift death sitting in the physicians lounge with a 60 second phone call.

--
Il Destriero

Edit: You're actually probably right. But I'd rather subsist on my own merits(or maybe lack thereof... ) and not get as far.

*braces self for the stream of residents/attendings clamoring to call me "naive" *

Last edited:
Okay, sure.

Welcome to the real world! Life isn't fair.

Gyngyn said:
This factor is much more likely to have a positive effect at the residency application level where the communities are smaller and the players are better known to each other.

Noted! I was more so talking about in general.

Edit: You're actually probably right. But I'd rather subsist on my own merits(or maybe lack thereof... ) and not get as far.

*braces self for the stream of residents/attendings clamoring to call me "naive" *

When you're getting passed by for all these opportunities in the future, at least you will feel better knowing that you never sold out to the system, maaaaaaan

Reactions: 1 user