Hawaii College of Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sungs01

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sup everybody,
im new to the site and this is my first post. Well, i applied to the Hawaii college of pharmacy and had my interview over 5 weeks ago. but i still haven't heard anything from them yet. I called them last week and they told me to wait alittle longer. The person i spoke to said that he only does the interviews and cannot check on the status of my application. Im worried but don't want to keep on calling them and bothering them. Is anyone else waiting from HICP? Do you guys know anyone that got rejected from this school? how long did your process take? thanx for the replies.

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't heard of any rejections from HICP. In fact there's been quite a few acceptances for the members of this forum including: Rxforlife2004, michelleca4, Vannie4uBaby, StephenChanUCI, and kiki642 (plus others I think, those are just the ones who have chosen HICP).

I would call back and try to speak with someone that can tell you the status of your app. As long as you don't call on a weekly basis, I think you're ok (not bugging them).

thanks for the reply, i just hate waiting!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi sungs01. I applied to Hawaii in Jan. and got accepted early Feb. I got my acceptance letter a week after the interview. So overall, the whole process did not take a long time. Everyone that i know who got accepted recieve their acceptance letter a week or so after their interview ONLY if there is space left. From my experience (and friends who also got accepted) with the admission process at Hawaii, it was like a first come first serve. The key is to apply early and keep calling the admission office to check on your application status. They seem to respone real quick when you call. I don't know how the admission process is going to be like for the Spring of 2005 since more people know about the school. It will probably be more competitive. Good luck and hope you'll hear good news soon.

I just got accepted to MCPHS-Worcester and will probably go there. That leave a seat available for whoever that is next on the waitlist :)

how did everyone know about the Hawaii College of Pharmacy so early? i saw that someone knew about it in jan, and applied in feb? thats crazy. the state of hawaii didnt even know this school existed until the end of march. everyone that got accepted, where are you guys from?? mahalo

I knew about HICP in January because I saw postings on this forum.

My friend knew of it in December, because his friend in Hawaii told him and his co-worker applied as well.

I wish to those who had interviews, but haven't been accepted lots of luck. I talked to Mr. Park and he stated that the 2007 class is full and they are just waitlisting the applicants. If you really want to attend HICP, just reapply for the 2008 spring class. The applications are on the website!

michelleca4 said:
If you really want to attend HICP, just reapply for the 2008 spring class. The applications are on the website!
Michelle,

All that I can find on HICP's website/application is "The deadline for submissions of all application materials is April 01, 2005." If there is a spring class, they don't mention it or have any special deadlines for it. I don't see how they can accept apps until April 1st and expect to start the class in April or May. Do you have any specifics? Is the spring class supposed to be the same size as the fall class? :confused: I can't see that many students fitting into their "temporary campus" in that bank building (I would assume that 130 fall students, plus 130 spring, plus 130 2nd year fall + 130 2nd year spring would be too many peeps... about 520 students on campus at once!) Is the spring class supposed to be a secret??

On the Application for 2008....it said that is is for the class entering in Sept 2005....so I don t know where the Spring comes from

I sent an application to Hawaii on February 3. I know because I looked at my checkbook register. I have yet to receive anything from them acknowledging my application. I think they pretty much accepted everybody that applied early on. I have no problem with that. What I do have a problem with is them accepting $80 application fees after their class was already full and not even processing applications that they receive later in the process; they merely cashed the checks. After a certain point, applications were merely revenue generators. I read on another thread that it was a for-profit enterprise. I wouldn't be surprised if they nickel-and-dime their students wherever expenses are concerned. For the sake of the entering class, I hope they run their business better once classes start. Microbus out

jdpharmd & illusions:
I was told by Mr. Park and Dr. Monroe that the Class 2008 will start Spring 2005. I remember that Dr. Monroe telling me that the class starting in the Spring will be as big as the fall class. Then again, I just called the school and they have changed their plans. The Class of 2008 wll start in the fall.

64microbus:
Even though the class is full, they have a waitlist of applicants. I wouldn't be suprise if many on the waitlist are admitted, because HICP was a backup school for many accepted applicants. My friend is on the waitlist and he was told he'll more likely be admitted. My friend's co-worker applied after Feb. 3 and was accepted. And my other friend interviewed at the end of March and is on the top of the waitlist. All the pharmacy schools that I applied to cashed all my checks, even when I cancelled some of my applications. Anyways, HICP was still interviewing applicants in March (such as my friend), so of course your check that was dated in Feb. was cashed.

where did it mention the number of students that will be in the first class? someone said 130? i actually heard that the first class only has 30 students in it. whatever. all those people that got accepted from the mainland, what are you guys planning on doing for housing? mahalo

Well if Hawaii is processing apps, a postcard acknowledging receipt of my application would be appropriate. All the other schools I applied to did cash my check, and did acknowledge my application. The other schools at least made me feel like I was being considered. I could apply to Harvard Medical with no chance of being accepted and they'd at least acknowledge receipt of my application. Am I expecting too much?

Members don't see this ad :)
Really, I applied to more pharmacy schools than you would believe and I didn't get a postcard/letter from all of them. Only less than half of the schools acknowledge they recieved my application then later I got my rejection letters. All the CA schools do send out notices, but a lot of out of state schools didn't. I just called many the schools if my application was complete when I didn't recieve any notice. So it's different for all schools. You shouldn't assume that every pharmacy school works the same way, because that's impossible. And yes you are expecting too much. Please lets end this discussion.

michelleca4 said:
jdpharmd & illusions:
I was told by Mr. Park and Dr. Monroe that the Class 2008 will start Spring 2005. I remember that Dr. Monroe telling me that the class starting in the Spring will be as big as the fall class. Then again, please call the school to make sure for yourself, because I don't know if their plans have changed.

64microbus:
Even though the class is full, they have a waitlist of applicants. I wouldn't be suprise if many on the waitlist are admitted, because HICP was a backup school for many accepted applicants. My friend is on the waitlist and he was told he'll more likely be admitted. My friend's co-worker applied after Feb. 3 and was accepted. And my other friend interviewed at the end of March and is on the top of the waitlist. All the pharmacy schools that I applied to cashed all my checks, even when I cancelled some of my applications. Anyways, HICP was still interviewing applicants in March (such as my friend), so of course your check that was dated in Feb. was cashed.

Michelleca4,
by any chance, do you know if your friend, who was on the waitlist got accepted or not? im on the wait list too and hoping to make it....i wonder if they will accept most of the people on the wait list cuz i heard at western, more than 90 people out of the 130 were admitted from the wait list.

and one more question...when you were admitted, did you have to submit the full tuition by a certain deadline? thanks for your help

I was accepted Feb 5th, a week after I interviewed. Tuition is due September 1st and there are three private lenders that offer loans:
www.educationone.com
www.bankofamerica.com
www.teri.org

I have not talked to my friend who is on the waitlist, but I think he will apply for the Class of 2008 as well because he really wants to move to Hawaii. If you talk to Mr. Park he'll let you know where you are the waitlist. He told my friend he is on the top 10% and more likely be adimtted.

hi everyone,

About hawaii college of pharmacy, I know their tuition is almost $30,000 and they don't offer any government funded money since they are not accredited. Is everyone who is planning to attend Hawaii getting the private loans? How much would be sufficient for a living expense in hawaii for a year? Any idea would be much appreciated!

Henderson- Please don't tell me your alias is referring to the Henderson/Hasselbach equation. :rolleyes: Hehe jk, I loved that part of genchemII! Kinetics all the way. :D

PS- To those of you who know my "ochem woes," I absolutely loved genchem and got A's in both semesters of it! Well, I guess that's relative to ochem actually. When I was IN genchem, it wasn't that great. ;) But getting out and looking back, it was actually pretty fun compared to ochem. Hmm...so many people told me I'd like ochem better...guess I'm proving them wrong! :smuggrin: Hehe, I think I'll love it eventually, though... after I start understanding this stuff! :laugh:

also, are any of you guys concerned that Hawaii College of Pharmacy may not be accredited?....just a concern...

henderson said:
also, are any of you guys concerned that Hawaii College of Pharmacy may not be accredited?....just a concern...

That would of course be everyone's number ONE concern. It's quite scary to think about shelling out $90k for tuition plus let's say another $60k for living expenses for the next three years, and then not be able to sit for the boards.

On a positive note - I don't think I've heard of any new pharmacy schools have troubles with acquiring accredidation.

Whoever the CEO is or whoever's making the PROFITS is a genius. If I only had the capital to create a pharmacy school in a tropical paradise and have my FIRST incoming class consist of 130 students forking over $30k. :D

I've been hearing about many pharmacy schools having a shortage of professors. So does anyone know if HICP has acquired a full faculty?

I spoke to Jeffrey Wadelin from ACPE who handles the accreditation of Hawaii College of Pharmacy and he told me that HCP found a dean from Chicago...that's all I know so far..and I heard from a friend that HCP is going to get alot of help from Nevada College of Pharmacy in developing the school and initially many of the professors from NCP will go to Hawaii to teach, whether it is true or not, i don't know.

my main concern is obtaining the private loan since i don't have a good credit. :(

Even though Hawaii College of Pharmacy is not affilated with NVCP, NVCP president (Dr. Rosenberg) was a consultant for HCP in the beginning. The Associate Dean of HCP, Dr. Monroe, was a professor at NVCP.

The interest for a private loan is pretty low if you cosign with a parent. It ranges from 6.5-10%. I cosigned with my mother, and my interest rate is 6.5% through www.educationone.com. My friend who did not cosign with a parent, recieved a 9.5% interest rate based on his credit.

Thanks for that information. By the way, do you have to have an excellent credit to get the loan from the bankone?

After getting rejected for TERI loan, I am afraid to apply for the loan at bankone. I have a really screwed up credit and my parents have so so credit. Do you think it would be a problem getting the loan unless I find a cosigner with an excellent credit score?

How much loan did you apply for personal spending(for housing, transportation, food, etc) aside from the tuition?

All the info is always appreciated! :)

You should try to apply again and if you get rejected, then apply with a cosigner. Education one only loans up to $30,000, which only pays for the tution and my moving expense. Thank god their will be FAFSA the second year and third year. I don't think a 6.5% interest rate is that much, because my pharmacist said that hers was 8% while attending USC and my undergraduate loan was 4.5%. It all depends from person to person. Hey Henderson, where are you from?

well, michelle, I did apply with a cosigner(my dad) who I thought has decent credit, not an excellent credit score, but decent. I got rejected with a cosigner for TERI loan. So, that's why I am afraid to apply to bankone although I will pretty soon. By the way, I didn't know that we will be eligible to apply for federal subsidized student loan from the second year, if so, that's a great news.

I am from the sin city, Michelle. Have you already received the fund from the bankone? How long does the total process take?

After my mother verify's consumer statement and fax's a copy of her driver's license, then it take 1 business for analyst and processing. After final approval it take 2 days to disburse the money.

Yes after the 1st year, we can apply for loans through FAFSA.

michelleca4 said:
After my mother verify's consumer statement and fax's a copy of her driver's license, then it take 1 business for analyst and processing. After final approval it take 2 days to disburse the money.

Yes after the 1st year, we can apply for loans through FAFSA.
Have either of you tried applying without a cosigner? Having a cosigner made my undergrad rates a little lower, but it didn't really seem to matter when I took out my pharmacy school loans (both govt and private). Henderson, If your parent's credit is "so-so", then perhaps you can get approved without them as a cosigner?

JDPHARMD?:
I can't apply without a cosigner, because I dont' meet one of the criteria (worked at the same place for 3 years and provide proof). I only worked at my retail pharmacy for 2 years, and anyways my mother has great credit in comparison to me. :thumbup:

I just called HICP to answer everyones questions:

A class size of 130 students :)

Class of 2008 starts in the fall :(

It's not definite we can apply through FAFSA for loans our second year, but they are working on it. :confused:

Yes, our curriculm is simliar to NVCP (block system) :thumbup:

A picture of HICP's temporary classrooms and offices while the school is being built next door
10-01.jpg

Please call the school for anymore concerns because I am planning not to log into the forum as often.

Thanks Michelle for all the good info!

michelleca4 said:
JDPHARMD?:
I just called HICP to answer everyones questions:

A class size of 130 students :)

Class of 2008 starts in the fall :(
So when you responed to my question with this in another thread:
michelleca4 said:
I suppose you don't understand because you didn't apply to California or Hawaii, and your not from California.

Answers to your questions:
Hawaii will have a entering Spring Class as well. I asked them a few times to make sure, but Hawaii has not begun the application process yet. Even if they won't let me enter with the Spring Class, I am allowed to defer my admission for a year.
when I asked about a spring class, you were "mistaken"? Thanks. :rolleyes:

JDPHARMD?:
YOu like to pick up on me HUH? :) No I was not mistaken about the spring class. I talked to Dr. Monroe and Mr. Cliff a while ago about a spring class, so I guess their plans have changed. Thank god I called and answered everyones questions. I can't wait till I move to Oahu this September!

For anymore questions about HICP, please call the school.

This does sound familiar...when NVCP first started up, I remember hearing about a proposed spring enrollment, but for one reason or another, it never happened.

Does HICP also follow Nevada College of pharmacy with the 90% passing rule, where you have to get 90% on all exams on friday or take them again after the weekend (I know this is probably not the best description but I think most of you know what I am talking about since it has been discussed before by LVPharm)

michelleca4 said:
JDPHARMD?:
YOu like to pick up on me HUH?
I don't mean to single you out, michelle. You're just the one who brought us all of the information about HICP, some of which turned out to be less than the truth. I have no doubt that they are changing things left and right over there. :thumbup:

What's the website or do they have one? :confused:

Thanks for sharing the photo, Michelle. So, you were accepted along with four other friends.
Best of luck to you.
Have you visited the temporary location yet? :D

I just got an acceptance from this school and since I am from, and currently living in Hawaii (oahu) I am curious, who of all of you have been admitted and are committed to this charter class? I know I am still debating whether or not to commit this year since accreditation is still up in the air. michelleca4, it seems you and a few of your friends are committed, I am wondering about the rest of you, to the rest of you good luck and aloha from hawaii.

Since you do live in Hawaii, do you think it's possible for you to visit that temporary school building and let us know how it looks like(I've seen the building picture posted in this forum) but I am sure it is different than seeing it in person.

I think all of us are worried about the school since it is not accredited and it is not established.

henderson said:
Since you do live in Hawaii, do you think it's possible for you to visit that temporary school building and let us know how it looks like(I've seen the building picture posted in this forum) but I am sure it is different than seeing it in person.

You know, that is pretty much it for the first year. As far as I know, they have rented out the bottom floors of that buiding for the first year's class. They have 2 or 3 buildings that are planned to start construction in the next year or so (right behind that building in the picture) that are dedicated to the pharmacy school and it's research.

My husband was also accepted to HICP. I just want to get a feel for all those who are also going to Hawaii. Is anyone married/have kids? Since the school is new and there is not any student housing..has anyone found a place to stay yet? The cost of living is incredible. I am a little nervous. When is everyone from the mainland heading over? Also, I have a friend who is going to HICP and he has received a school schedule. We have not..has anyone else received anything of importance? We did receive our bill. And a packet that contained an apartment guide. But that is about all we have received. I would like to receive the school schedule. I know when school starts and when orientation is, but I would like to know when the breaks are and that sort of thing. Any information people have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Hi,

Jer007, where are you from?

I am attending HICP this fall also. I have not received much information from the school as of yet. I have not even received a handbook which I have heard others have received. I am curious when we actually register for classes and other details about schools. It seems that it's hard to get in touch with a school official..actually I think there is only one person who answers all the questions, Mr. Park. Many uncertainties, thus much anxiety.

I was planning to move a few weeks before the school starts to look for a place but no definite plan yet.

I feel very nervous and worried since school is so new and since I am not from Hawaii.

Let us all know if you hear any new information.

I am from Utah. What about you?

No handbook either. The only thing received so far is the bill for tuition. Then the other day we got an apartment guide with a letter with some web sites on moving to Hawaii. But I have already seen those so it wasn't much help. Who is Mr. Park? Is he the financial aid guy? I know my husband has spoken with Dr. Monroe many times and the financial aid guy once. He even spoke to a woman there once. I think that was that Denise lady. And I agree...many uncertainties. I wish Hawaii was a little more affordable to get to so we could go over there and check things out.

I think we will head over the middle of Sept as well.

Has anyone else out there received anything different than I described???

I am from Las Vegas.

By the way, if you don't mind me asking, how are you paying for the tuition? Did you get a loan? If so, how much?...

I am in the process of getting a loan from bankone and what a painful process it is since I do not have a good credit. :(

Do you have Dr. Monroe's number? His number was not on the website. The only number they had on the school website was to Mr. Park's voicemail.

do accelerated program students get summers off? how long are summer vacations?

sungs01 said:
Nope, our vacation is about 1 week long. (MWU - Glendale)

sungs01 said:

I'm at NVCP. Between the 1st and 2nd year, students get 6 weeks IF they didn't fail any block assessments (we're on a block curriculum). If not, they have to take the block again using that time period in the summer (1 week per failed block). Summer between 2nd and 3rd year is a bit more complicated, and depends on the order of rotations, which is determined by lottery. I'm between my 2nd and 3rd year and I won't have any time off. After Memorial Day, I have to take my elective in "complementary medicine", then head off for clinical rotations...a "nutrition" rotation comes first (aka "fun with TPNs"). I will have a 6 week off period after my Christmas break (or I can use it to take another elective, if I so wish).