Hawaii

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lacarthic

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anyting from Hawaii College of Pharmacy I sent my app about a month and a half ago and I have not heard anything back, I tried calling them but the phone number on the website did not work!!

Members don't see this ad.

Just keep calling. I have been accepted and plus four other friends. Within three weeks after I sent in my application, I was accepted after an interview in late January. The same scenario happened to two of my friends as well. The office opens at 7am (Hawaii Time), so start calling after 9am (Pacific Time) to get a hold of them. Everytime I call for information I have spoken to someone.

Which number did you dial? I called with the 702....area code and it went through. Keep trying and if no one picks up the phone leave a message on the answering machine.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to act quick because they don't have many seats left and Dr. Monroe said they recieve 100 applications per week. Vannie4Ubaby, kiki642, StephenChanUCI and RXforlife2004 also got accepted!

I also got accepted to Hawai'i. I sent in my applicant a little over a month ago and got accepted two weeks ago:)

I asked the admission office how many seats they have left (this was about 3 weeks ago) and they said there is about 20-25 seats left. The class size for the Fall of 2004 is 130.

130...wow. When Nevada started we had an inaugural class of around 35 students. Most schools start off with a small class of 30-60 or so students.

Incidentally, the 702 phone number is a Las Vegas number, so I'm sure you should be able to contact someone there during the usual pacific time zone business hours.

LVPharm: yes, i was surprise myself with the large class size that Hawaii is starting out with. About the 702 area code, i was wondering the same thing, i recognized that its a Nevada area code. Do you think the people who works for Hawai'i Pharmacy school is from Nevada? I am confused:confused:

michelleca4 you said that you were accepted three weeks after you sent your application did you also interview? or did they just let you know that you got in?

Thanks for your reply earlier :)

No matter which number you dial, 808 or 702, it is directed to the same line. To get in touch with the dean and to do interviews always call 808 number. You should call Hawaii time because the 702 line directly connects you to the 808 office (advice from Dr. Monroe).

Originally posted by michelleca4
No matter which number you dial, 808 or 702, it is directed to the same line. To get in touch with the dean and to do interviews always call 808 number. You should call Hawaii time because the 702 line directly connects you to the 808 office (advice from Dr. Monroe).

oh, didn't know that...my bad.

I hear generally newer schools are a bit easier to get into than established ones. If you guys don't mind (the one accepted), could you guys post your gpa, pcat, extra-cir. activities, etc and anything else noteworthy. Just want to see what to expect for Hawaii next year when I apply. (I am constantly trying to see what schools I can realistically get into).

If you don't want the world to know and wouldn't mind sharing with me, u can PM me.

You can always tell me what the avg. accepted applicant is like too gpa-wise, pcat, etc.

thanks and congrats!

BTW, what part of hawaii is the school?

Does Hawaii College of Pharmacy have a website? I just wanted to read more about them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think its worth applying to Hawaii now? I have interviewed w/ UCSF and UOP and now I am beginning to wonder if I should have applied to more schools.

Do you guys think Hawai'i College of Pharmacy will be accredited soon? If not, wouldn't graduating from there cause problems in the future when searching for jobs?

HICP will be accredited when the first class graduates in 2007.

To VPPharm2004, I don't think there will be problems searching for jobs if you pass the NAPLEX and already have an internship. I don't think UCSD and Loma Linda students worry just because their schools aren't accredited. I believe HICP will have the same success as Nevada receiving accreditation, because HICP is the sister school of Nevada College of Pharmacy, directed by a former professor of Nevada, and is modeled after the Nevada program.

To those who think about applying, just call the school and ask them if it's too late too apply.

HICP is located in Kapolei, Oahu (20 miles from Honolulu).

Originally posted by eddie269
I hear generally newer schools are a bit easier to get into than established ones.

With the large amounts of applicants that already applied, still 100 applications rolling into Hawaii per week, and the number of seats for the Fall 2004 class, there is still competition for admissions.

Do you think UCSD and Loma Linda are easier to get into because the are new as well? My answer is no, because UCSD had over 1000 applicants for a class of more than two dozen students. Loma Linda already accepted 30 students from the early applicant pool and will accept only 30 students from 500 applications recieved recently. Nevada is a few years old and recently accredited, and also had more than 1000 applicants.

eddie269 you need to do ressearch before you start making assumptions about new pharmacy schools. No matter what pharmacy school you graduate from, you'll be a Pharmacist. Most people are happy if they get into Pharmacy School due to the amount competition. I'm glad I'm moving to Hawaii where I'll enjoy living, compared to a school in middle of nowhere or where I have to deal with snow for the first time.

Originally posted by michelleca4
With the large amounts of applicants that already applied, still 100 applications rolling into Hawaii per week, and the number of seats for the Fall 2004 class, there is still competition for admissions.

Do you think UCSD and Loma Linda are easier to get into because the are new as well? My answer is no, because UCSD had over 1000 applicants for a class of more than two dozen students. Loma Linda already accepted 30 students from the early applicant pool and will accept only 30 students from 500 applications recieved recently. Nevada is a few years old and recently accredited, and also had more than 1000 applicants.

eddie269 you need to do ressearch before you start making assumptions about new pharmacy schools. No matter what pharmacy school you graduate from, you'll be a Pharmacist. Most people are happy if they get into Pharmacy School due to the amount competition. I'm glad I'm moving to Hawaii where I'll enjoy living, compared to a school in middle of nowhere or where I have to deal with snow for the first time.

I hope you weren't offended by my assumption or anything because it seems like you think me assuming that took away from your hard work to being accepted. I mean, I respect anyone who gets accepted to any pharmacy school since as an undergrad. I am slowly getting through hard pre-req classes. so I hope you didn't assume I thought you only got in cause the school is "newer".

but research or not, I never said I knew anything. I said I HEARD generally. And I HEARD from the thread named "re-reapplicants" a few threads down on the first page. A few people in that thread said it might be easier to apply to Western or Loma Linda due to it being a newer school where as UCSF and USC would be harder to get into because they have been established and known by everyone in the nation. If you read the thread, you'll see where I got my assumption. You might say "no" to my question, but a few people still say "yes". But I apologize if I jumped to any conclusions.

and again, Congrats Michelle.

Just wanted to let everyone know that officially NVCP is neither formally nor informally affiliated with the Hawaii College of Pharmacy. NVCP has been getting a lot of inquiries on this matter, especially from candidates wanting to find out if they can arrange loans through NVCP for HICP. Apparently although there was some affiliation in the beginning in the form of Dr. Rosenberg being a consultant (it was stated on the HICP website, but since removed), there is no longer a relationship. Part of this may be due to HICP now being a "for profit" institution accountable to investors, instead of having salaried administration, staff, and faculty who are accountable to a "board of trustees". I don't know exactly why, but this runs counter to the educational philosophy of NVCP (which is nonprofit). This is not to say that the education you would receive at HICP is any better or worse...just saying that we are not affiliated. The curriculum itself is still modeled on NVCP, and (it's true), Mr. Monroe was NVCP's head librarian and a professor.

LVPharm,

I knew this very long ago, actually. And uh I did not deposit my money yet. It's just too risky. I am not trying to offend those who want to go to HICP, though. If something too is too easy to be true, i won't really dare to try.

Yeah, I don't mean to disparage HICP, or discourage people from matriculating to HICP. I just wanted to disseminate that piece of info because people have been calling our school under the assumption that we have a current relationship that would allow incoming HICP students to seek school loans through NVCP. I understand that the issue of obtaining loans is problematic for you Hawaii-bound students.

Good luck to all of you who will be matriculating to HICP!

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Hawaii has a few private lenders to choose from for loans. I listed the loan companies on a previous thread.

Awesome! That's good, I didn't know that!

...no bubble to burst here, so there's no need to be sorry ;)

One of the things you'll find out when you get there is that all the prominent pharmacists in the community (ie, pharmacy directors from the major Hawaii medical centers, prominent local pharmacy clinicians, etc) may very well provide their own support to the new school, and serve on its board, administration, or faculty. It's happened here, I imagine it would be the same there. On top of that, the school curricula is still going to be modeled on NVCP. I did think you folks were having a problem finding lenders, but apparently not.

Originally posted by LVPharm
Just wanted to let everyone know that officially NVCP is neither formally nor informally affiliated with the Hawaii College of Pharmacy. NVCP has been getting a lot of inquiries on this matter, especially from candidates wanting to find out if they can arrange loans through NVCP for HICP. Apparently although there was some affiliation in the beginning in the form of Dr. Rosenberg being a consultant (it was stated on the HICP website, but since removed), there is no longer a relationship. Part of this may be due to HICP now being a "for profit" institution accountable to investors, instead of having salaried administration, staff, and faculty who are accountable to a "board of trustees". I don't know exactly why, but this runs counter to the educational philosophy of NVCP (which is nonprofit). This is not to say that the education you would receive at HICP is any better or worse...just saying that we are not affiliated. The curriculum itself is still modeled on NVCP, and (it's true), Mr. Monroe was NVCP's head librarian and a professor.

I just called Hawaii and I inquired the validity of your statement. They stated that Dr. Roseberg is not the consultant anymore just because he is president of NVCP and he can not run two colleges. The curriculum is modeled after NVCP due to Dr. Roseberg's help. It is true, Hawaii is "for profit" institution like most private universities in the United States. The money pays for the facilities and for the faculty, because private universities dont' receive money from the state. In comparison to other pharmacy schools, books are included in the tuition for Hawaii's Fall 2004 class.

My friend told me his roommate called and HICP said that all of their seats are filled. They do have a waistlist for those who still want to go!