Instate tuition - Univesity of Hawaii Hilo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rcodyfb16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've recently been accepted to UH Hilo and have a ton of questions about so many things involved within the process of relocating. The biggest of them, which will likely determine my ultimate decision are qualifications on gaining instate residency for tuition purposes. Is there any feasable scenario in which an unmarried student could move to a different state, attend school for one year while their significant other worked towards gaining residency, and then became married after that year to gain residency? I've been accepted to other programs however the possibility of going to school in Hilo is something that I can't over. That being said, the out of state tuition costs compounded with cost of living just seem to be staggering. If anyone has any experience in a similar situation I'd really appreciate the insight. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

The ease with which a student can obtain residency varies state by state. If you haven't looked at the criteria, look at them now for Hilo. Married couples can file joint federal returns but separate state returns so more is needed to show you're a bona fide resident. You need to show them you're all in on living there and not just going for an extended vacation. Again, look at the criteria and examples in the link.

Thanks for your quick response. I have reviewed that particular link but some of the information is somewhat ambiguous. What I take from it is that the process is more or less subjective? Specifically, if someone was to be married to a Hawaiian resident that would be just one aspect to be taken into consideration within an application for residency that would consist of other mitigating factors such a rental/utility history, voter registration, tax filings, etc?

Thanks for your quick response. I have reviewed that particular link but some of the information is somewhat ambiguous. What I take from it is that the process is more or less subjective? Specifically, if someone was to be married to a Hawaiian resident that would be just one aspect to be taken into consideration within an application for residency that would consist of other mitigating factors such a rental/utility history, voter registration, tax filings, etc?
Yes, it is kinda subjective. You're trying to show these people you intend to spend the rest of your life in Hawaii. They go into some specific important things.

Of all the possible actions you might take, the most important are: (1) filing a Hawaiʻi resident personal income tax form; and (2) registering to vote and voting in Hawaiʻi. Other actions may be considered. These include: (1) ownership or continuous lease of a home in Hawaiʻi; (2) permanent or continuous employment in Hawaiʻi; and (3) presence of spouse, children, and other close relatives in Hawaiʻi.

Also keep in mind, you need one year of bona fide residency to qualify as a tuition resident. Assuming your SO takes a year to get residency and marriage to them among other things counts as bona fide residency, you will get in-state tuition in your P3 year.

Nevermind that, bona fide residency starts from the date you make your first step towards residency.

People apparently marry all the time for in-state tuition.

Last edited: