HBCU Pharmacy Schools Rollcall

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JamesL1585

TheAntiSavior?
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, this thread is intended to unite all candidates (needless to say of all races) who are looking at HBCU's (Historically Black Colleges or Universities, or basically minority pharmacy schools) as their PRIMARY choice for Pharmacy school.

So Texas Southern, Howard, Xavier, Florida A&M, Hampton, Chi State, and anyone else I forgot please stand up, list which other schools you plan to apply to (doesnt have to be another HBCU) and ask questions about other schools if your curious... Me, personally I'm planning to apply to most of them!

Oh yea, also list how your application is coming along and when you expect it to be complete!

Members don't see this ad.

TSU is where I am applying for fall 08. I turned in my app on the first day that acceptance opened. I had worked on my app during the summer. I only have the prereqs for TSU because that was the only school I have had in mind. My gpa is 3.5 and have all my volunteer hour done and fairly active in school. The only thing I'm worried about is my PCAT score. I got a 55 the first time and just took the october one. The only thing that I fear might not get me in is my PCAT.

TSU is not doing rolling admission so we won't get any advantage for applying early. This is one of my schools I am going to apply for Fall 2008.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, there is an advantage to applying early. Per Ms. Davis...

Hey! I applied to Howard in August and got a letter saying my file was complete but that's it so far. I have the Hampton application/ references on standby. I do plan on applying to FAMU even though everyone keeps telling me not to waste my time and money (they have a tendency not to admit transfers/ non FAMU students and their rep is really bad right now). Xavier is in the back of my head.

FAMU is on probation, and Howard just got off probation. Howard's accreditation period is shortened, and they will have to be reaccredited shortly. CSU's program, if they get pre-candidate status, will be new. They were just denied an on-site visit by ACPE, and so far, they have not made friends with the Illinois Board of Pharmacy because of certain comments.

What's Chi State?
It is CSU, aka Chicago State University. It is a public Illinois university. It is located at 95th and Dan Ryan about. The school's reputation is not good. Most consider it to be the worst 4 year public university in the state.

Lol, why aren't Chi State and the Illinois Board of Pharmacy friends?

How come most of the HBCU pharmacy schools have bad reputation? :confused:

It seems that people are always pointing out the negatives on HBCU's, but not the positives. Regardless I am happy being at TSU.

LoL, man I should have thought before making this thread, nothin but negativity so far, but whoever said that was right, they do focus on the negatives and not the positives when looking @ HBCU's, but those of us who have friends that attend HBCU's and work with people that have attended these schools know that they produce some fine professionals, Very fine professionals I must say....

If you guys had to rank the HBCUs, how would you rank them? I am interested in applying to several of them, but I'm hesitant because I've heard only negative things.

Any feedback would be appreciated:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I applied to Howard in August and got a letter saying my file was complete but that's it so far. I have the Hampton application/ references on standby. I do plan on applying to FAMU even though everyone keeps telling me not to waste my time and money (they have a tendency not to admit transfers/ non FAMU students and their rep is really bad right now). Xavier is in the back of my head.

my fiance went to famu and i used to go to tally and visit all the time. while he was in class i would go to the pharmacy building and talk to some of the staff, students and professors. Everyone i talked to was extreeemly nice and i had a great time.

But....

They did tell me that they really dont even look at out of state students because they have a ton of applicants instate already to choose from. So once they are done with the instate students, there are a couple if none spots available for out of state students. I think last year they only took like 5-10 out of staters.

my fiance went to famu and i used to go to tally and visit all the time. while he was in class i would go to the pharmacy building and talk to some of the staff, students and professors. Everyone i talked to was extreeemly nice and i had a great time.

But....

They did tell me that they really dont even look at out of state students because they have a ton of applicants instate already to choose from. So once they are done with the instate students, there are a couple if none spots available for out of state students. I think last year they only took like 5-10 out of staters.
I would advise people to not apply to famu if you are not one of their pre-pharm students. I attended FAMU for a few years as a pre-pharm student. You are probably wondering why I didn't stay there...I don't want to bad mouth the school but "everything that glitters aint gold". Do your research and talk t ostudents there and get their impression of the school. My expereince there was terrible and that is why I chose to leave. All I have to say is do your research!!!

Like any school that has a stereotypical student - HBCU for the most part will only attract black students - With the state of modern eductation - diversity is key. You need both professors and students from diverse backgrounds.

I think HBCUs suffer from this lack of diversity - additionally, any exclusive program lends itself to scrutiny - in the same way that IVY league schools came under fire in the 80's for the lack of socio-economic diversity.

Regardless of people's bias - one thing is certain - If a school is ON probabtion, or even if it is recently coming off of probabtion - I would avoid applying to it. Professional school is an investment of both time and money - and you DEFINITELY want to make a wise investment - a school that is struggling with ACPE is not a school I want to pour thousands and thousands of dollars.

~above~

I like my school- Xavier. They give a lot of people opportunities that they may not have had otherwise, so I think that's why the average GPA for those who are accepted is lower. I'm unhappy sometimes, but I think that's because I came from a large university with ~30,000 students. The campus population at Xavier is about 1/10th that size.

Also, Xavier is becoming more progressive about diversity. I am not the typical HBCU student, yet I go to an HBCU. I've had a couple of problems, but everything has already worked itself out. Unlike before when I always felt like their minority student, now I just go to school. It's my school.

Also, Xavier is becoming more progressive about diversity. I am not the typical HBCU student, yet I go to an HBCU. I've had a couple of problems, but everything has already worked itself out. Unlike before when I always felt like their minority student, now I just go to school. It's my school.

Well said, if you dont mind me asking whats your ethnicity, and how long have you been going to Xavier??

Another person above stated about HBCU's lacking diversity. THat is not true, my school is very diverse, the only race we lack is whites but it is extremely diverse, maybe 38% black/african, 28% asian, and the rest is all "other" people will apply to professional school no matter what they won't say "Oh, this is a black school I don't think I'll get my degree from there." So yea, my point is that your wrong! Its diverse :)

Well said, if you dont mind me asking whats your ethnicity, and how long have you been going to Xavier??

Another person above stated about HBCU's lacking diversity. THat is not true, my school is very diverse, the only race we lack is whites but it is extremely diverse, maybe 38% black/african, 28% asian, and the rest is all "other" people will apply to professional school no matter what they won't say "Oh, this is a black school I don't think I'll get my degree from there." So yea, my point is that your wrong! Its diverse :)
I'm white, but it's more specific than that. All of my ancestors are from the Baltic Sea countries which includes: Finland, Germany, Lithuania, Poland, and Sweden. I say that I'm Lithuanian, because that's the greatest percentage.

I really enjoy the diversity. In my opinion, it's very important because diversity prevents a single group from dominating the profession.

No James, TSU have white students. there are about 6 or 7 of them in my class. One of them didn't make it to P2 with us, but the rest are doing fine I guess. African Americans are more like the minorities right now at TSU even though it is supposedly a HBCU. Majority of the black students at TSUCOP are Africans. Also, the school has a large population of Asian/indian/middleeastern students. There are alot of changes going on right now at TSU only if they will get credit for them. People like to dwell more on the negative stuffs.
But for real, HBCU Colleges of Pharmacy have really bad reputation and that's not a good thing. I think most of the time the schools are not managed well and so it affects every arm of the school.

FAMU's pharmacy program does not have all black students. there is a myriad of people with different nationalities so I don't think that it is fair to say that FAMU lacks diversity. It just isn't true.
Like any school that has a stereotypical student - HBCU for the most part will only attract black students - With the state of modern eductation - diversity is key. You need both professors and students from diverse backgrounds.

I think HBCUs suffer from this lack of diversity - additionally, any exclusive program lends itself to scrutiny - in the same way that IVY league schools came under fire in the 80's for the lack of socio-economic diversity.

Regardless of people's bias - one thing is certain - If a school is ON probabtion, or even if it is recently coming off of probabtion - I would avoid applying to it. Professional school is an investment of both time and money - and you DEFINITELY want to make a wise investment - a school that is struggling with ACPE is not a school I want to pour thousands and thousands of dollars.

~above~

No James, TSU have white students. there are about 6 or 7 of them in my class. One of them didn't make it to P2 with us, but the rest are doing fine I guess. African Americans are more like the minorities right now at TSU even though it is supposedly a HBCU. Majority of the black students at TSUCOP are Africans. Also, the school has a large population of Asian/indian/middleeastern students. There are alot of changes going on right now at TSU only if they will get credit for them. People like to dwell more on the negative stuffs.
But for real, HBCU Colleges of Pharmacy have really bad reputation and that's not a good thing. I think most of the time the schools are not managed well and so it affects every arm of the school.

Taken, 6 or 7 is not even 5 % of the population if you have 115 students, thats why I say they lack representation when it comes to white students, but when you look at the rest of the demographics, it is a very diverse student body in the College of Pharmacy

Taken, 6 or 7 is not even 5 % of the population if you have 115 students, thats why I say they lack representation when it comes to white students, but when you look at the rest of the demographics, it is a very diverse student body in the College of Pharmacy

I understand, but there are many more than 6 or 7 other nationalities..it's more like 20-30 per class. We used to have a pharmacy forum once a week and all pre-pharm and professional students got together and there WAY more than the 6 or 7 that you are referring to.

I understand, but there are many more than 6 or 7 other nationalities..it's more like 20-30 per class. We used to have a pharmacy forum once a week and all pre-pharm and professional students got together and there WAY more than the 6 or 7 that you are referring to.

I think James is talking about TSU and not FAMU.
James, I understand that 6 or 7 is a low representation but considering that TSU is a predominantly black school, most people will be surprised to learn that that many white students go there. It is the same if not worse for white schools. Do you know how many black students schools like UT admits every year? You will be surprised that they are not up to that 6 or 7.