HBCU's that have students go to top medical schools?

hellodoc

Member
10+ Year Member
May 11, 2006
91
0
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Does anyone know of some HBCU(historically black colleges) that had students go to top medical school?

(besides Morehouse,Florida A&M, and Xavier?)
 

riceman04

10+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2005
8,505
4
37
Los Angeles
Status
Medical Student
hellodoc said:
Does anyone know of some HBCU(historically black colleges) that had students go to top medical school?

(besides Morehouse,Florida A&M, and Xavier?)

Fla A&M has had students go to top med schools? That school was very close to losing its accreditation! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
 

):(

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2006
155
0
Status
I'm white so I can't really help you too much. I have heard great things about Howard University; you may want to check them out. You may also want to consider going to a regular school because you might get special attention there. At my school, there are tons of programs (that are fantastic!) that only minorities can get into. It really is something to consider. The opportunities some schools offer to minorities is borderline unfair. Good luck :luck:.
 
About the Ads

1Path

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2004
1,965
4
www.msapas.net
Status
riceman04 said:
Fla A&M has had students go to top med schools? That school was very close to losing its accreditation! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
As a former visiting student at FAMU, the answer is hell yeah!! Not only that, they have students end up at top B-schools including Harvard and Penn, and law schools like Harvard.

FYI, FAMU is one of the top HBCU's in the country, believe that!

There's a list on MRM (Minorities in Research and Medicine) if you want more info.
 

Brownskinladae

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2002
98
0
Baltimore, MD
Status
Attending Physician
Howard University! The best place on Earth! :)
 

Mr. Tee

Indentured servant
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2005
4,369
1
Status
MD/PhD Student
Are you deciding on what undergrad to attend?
 

NonTradMed

Perpetual Student
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2004
2,306
10
Somewhere in the middle of nowhere.
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
hellodoc said:
Does anyone know of some HBCU(historically black colleges) that had students go to top medical school?

(besides Morehouse,Florida A&M, and Xavier?)
I think all major schools have sent people to top med schools (I mean, all it takes is one person getting one acceptance). That is not a good indicator of a school's quality. A better way to look at a school is to see how many people get into med school or the percentage of people who get into top med schools----that may give you a better idea of how good the program is.
 

TSK

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 25, 2006
372
1
Status
Medical Student
I'd have to agree with NonTradMed. While Xavier, Spelman, and Morehouse often rank as sending the most Black students to med school, schools such as Yale (my alma mater!), Harvard, and Duke are next on this list. Keep in mind that these are numbers, not percentages. So, all other HBCUs which are predominately Black, still aren't sending as many Blacks to med school as other top tier schools where Black students are often a small minority.

But anywho... Wherever you go, as long as it's a 4 year accredited institution, doing well in school/on the MCAT, good ECs, and LORs will you give you a shot at med school.
:luck:

NonTradMed said:
I think all major schools have sent people to top med schools (I mean, all it takes is one person getting one acceptance). That is not a good indicator of a school's quality. A better way to look at a school is to see how many people get into med school or the percentage of people who get into top med schools----that may give you a better idea of how good the program is.
 

Doc1Day

Think positive thoughts
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2006
16
0
34
Status
Pre-Medical
Xavier U. of LA has been #1 in sending African Americans to medical school for the past 11 years (about 80/year).
 

Dr.Acula

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 17, 2006
363
0
Status
Pre-Medical
I've heard Prairie View A&M has decent stats too.
 
About the Ads