HBCU's that have students go to top medical schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hellodoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of some HBCU(historically black colleges) that had students go to top medical school?

(besides Morehouse,Florida A&M, and Xavier?)

Members don't see this ad.

hellodoc said:
Does anyone know of some HBCU(historically black colleges) that had students go to top medical school?

Fla A&M has had students go to top med schools? That school was very close to losing its accreditation! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm white so I can't really help you too much. I have heard great things about Howard University; you may want to check them out. You may also want to consider going to a regular school because you might get special attention there. At my school, there are tons of programs (that are fantastic!) that only minorities can get into. It really is something to consider. The opportunities some schools offer to minorities is borderline unfair. Good luck :luck:.

Members don't see this ad :)
riceman04 said:
Fla A&M has had students go to top med schools? That school was very close to losing its accreditation! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
As a former visiting student at FAMU, the answer is hell yeah!! Not only that, they have students end up at top B-schools including Harvard and Penn, and law schools like Harvard.

FYI, FAMU is one of the top HBCU's in the country, believe that!

There's a list on MRM (Minorities in Research and Medicine) if you want more info.

Howard University! The best place on Earth! :)

Are you deciding on what undergrad to attend?

hellodoc said:

I think all major schools have sent people to top med schools (I mean, all it takes is one person getting one acceptance). That is not a good indicator of a school's quality. A better way to look at a school is to see how many people get into med school or the percentage of people who get into top med schools----that may give you a better idea of how good the program is.

I'd have to agree with NonTradMed. While Xavier, Spelman, and Morehouse often rank as sending the most Black students to med school, schools such as Yale (my alma mater!), Harvard, and Duke are next on this list. Keep in mind that these are numbers, not percentages. So, all other HBCUs which are predominately Black, still aren't sending as many Blacks to med school as other top tier schools where Black students are often a small minority.

But anywho... Wherever you go, as long as it's a 4 year accredited institution, doing well in school/on the MCAT, good ECs, and LORs will you give you a shot at med school.
:luck:

NonTradMed said:
I think all major schools have sent people to top med schools (I mean, all it takes is one person getting one acceptance). That is not a good indicator of a school's quality. A better way to look at a school is to see how many people get into med school or the percentage of people who get into top med schools----that may give you a better idea of how good the program is.

Xavier U. of LA has been #1 in sending African Americans to medical school for the past 11 years (about 80/year).

I've heard Prairie View A&M has decent stats too.