HCA Anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

123Benihana

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it worth it to go to a new HCA residency in a desirable location for anesthesia versus out-of-state university locations with a private practice end goal?
 
I would not go to an HCA program over an established university program. HCA programs exist to feed HCA hospitals with employees
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am oblivious to the whole HCA thing but is it harder for people who trained at HCA to get fellowships and Jobs afterwards?
 
I am oblivious to the whole HCA thing but is it harder for people who trained at HCA to get fellowships and Jobs afterwards?
Fellowships yes. Jobs, it depends on what you mean. HCA grads are often viewed as tainted, although they can find employed jobs in the HCA system fairly easily. Not a lot of private docs view HCA grads highly, so depending on the specialty that can be a problem getting a desirable job.
 
Fellowships yes. Jobs, it depends on what you mean. HCA grads are often viewed as tainted, although they can find employed jobs in the HCA system fairly easily. Not a lot of private docs view HCA grads highly, so depending on the specialty that can be a problem getting a desirable job.
I see it's like they are essentially creating their own system where they train and retain... I see they are also trying to start more IM fellowships maybe 🤔 because their grads have a hard time to match them outside their system. Seems like a pretty dubious system. But I guess for uber competitive specialties it's better than not matching..