HCT vs Medical Scribe?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daydreamer100

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I recently applied to both Healthcare Technician and Medical Scribe jobs. I received an offer for the scribe position, but my HCT interview isn't until next week. In an ideal world I would love to work as the medical scribe, but that would require a longer commute that may not be worth the low pay. On the other hand, the HCT job is on the spot and has a better pay.. but my classmates say I wouldn't get much relevant experience as a pre-medical student. Not to mention I don't know how my next interview will turn out. What would you guys choose? Has anyone worked as Healthcare Technician and could share their experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Your classmates are right, you're going to learn a lot more long-term useful information as a medical scribe. I'm not trying to say you wouldn't learn anything useful as a PCT, but you'll notice some things that might click for you later on in medical school - drug names, common treatments, etc. - that might give you some good insight.

However, from the standpoint of medical admissions, they're right about equal. They both involve direct patient contact and thus both meet the criteria to be clinical experiences.

Can't provide any input on one versus the other because I've personally been neither, but I think you should pick the one you like more on that fact alone.

Reactions: 1 user