Medical Assistant vs. Medical Scribe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lialalala

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have clinical experience working in a big hospital watching hospitalized patients for 8 hours a day.
Although I built great clinical experience, I do not have "shadowing" experience because I never worked beside doctors so I was planning to do a scribe job.
I found a few places looking for medical assistant positions in pediatric offices and scheduled interviews.

While the medical scribe would be working right next to the doctors, the medical assistant seems like working with other MAs in the office.
From the job description, it seems like I will go into the patient's room and check their vitals before pcp comes in, clean the rooms, sometimes do lab work, and give vaccines.
Would working as MA still be considered a "shadowing" experience and fill in the gap in my clinical experience?

Members don't see this ad.

I have clinical experience working in a big hospital watching hospitalized patients for 8 hours a day.
Although I built great clinical experience, I do not have "shadowing" experience because I never worked beside doctors so I was planning to do a scribe job.
I found a few places looking for medical assistant positions in pediatric offices and scheduled interviews.

While the medical scribe would be working right next to the doctors, the medical assistant seems like working with other MAs in the office.
From the job description, it seems like I will go into the patient's room and check their vitals before pcp comes in, clean the rooms, sometimes do lab work, and give vaccines.
Would working as MA still be considered a "shadowing" experience and fill in the gap in my clinical experience?
I think it really depends. As a scribe, I work close to the physician.

I've seen MAs interact with physicians but definitely not as much as the scribe does. If you're lacking physician interaction/shadowing, then I think tbh I would suggest scribe.

Work as a scribe. Great exposure to medicine and a chance to get a solid LOR.