Headache Selecting Away Electives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pluripotent

My fate is not determined
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm in the middle of my Surgery clerkship, and trying to decide what is practical and what is redundant when selecting away electives. I am missing the point or over-thinking as I am prone to do, so I need someone outside of my own head to discuss the pros and cons of what I am thinking. My background: Grew up in So. Cal, went to school in San Francisco, attending med school in Chicago, and looking at residencies mostly in Cali, Chicago and Boston. My step 1 is 99%, top 25% of my class, A's/B's in 3rd year clerkships, good research and a nice balance of extracurriculars to round out my application. With respect to selecting schools, I started with So Cal, because I have strong family ties there. My school has a good match list with USC, so I started by applying for an away elective there in Colorectal Surgery. Here is where things get complicated: I have permission to do 3 away electives in Surgery plus 1 surgery research elective. I want to know if it is redundant or risky to do an away elective at UCLA-Harbor and UCI in addition to USC? Risky in terms of not diversifying. I am an above average surgery applicant IMHO, but my focus on Cali schools has never failed to elicit a remark that suggests I would be wise to have backup plans. My surgery advisor said UCSF, UCSD and UCLA proper would be reach schools. It sorta pissed me off at first, but I know their job is also to ensure no one is left scrambling for match, so I want to get some outside opinions on the subject. To summarize, is it redundant to do 3 away electives at USC, UCLA-Harbor and UCI? Should I diversify and do away electives in Boston if I am also interested in attending BU? As for Chicago, would doing an elective at Rush be wise too? See, this is where I get stuck.. I want to go to Cali, but I don't if it means I have to end up at a back up school.. Please advise! :scared:
 
In my opinion, its worthwhile to do at the very least one away at either Chicago or Boston. Do two if you are so inclined, because as it sounds theres a distinct possibility that you will be in one of those two cities. Anecdotally, I've been hearing that Surgery is growing more competitive so I would err on the side of caution in general.