headaches - microscope or age?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arctic Char

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Been in practice about 7 years now, and I've never had any problems with vision. I have never worn glasses. I have never had any issues with any miscrosopes - Nikon, or Olympus. Lately, however, I have been getting splitting headaches almost as soon as I start signing out in the morning. I have tried adjusting my microscope fine focus, ocular focus, etc time and again, and despite concluding that I am in focus, the headaches persist.

Anyone else had a similar experience? Anything help? Thoughts? am I experiencing age-related degeneration? (I'm 37 yo)

Appreciate any thoughts

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Been in practice about 7 years now, and I've never had any problems with vision. I have never worn glasses. I have never had any issues with any miscrosopes - Nikon, or Olympus. Lately, however, I have been getting splitting headaches almost as soon as I start signing out in the morning. I have tried adjusting my microscope fine focus, ocular focus, etc time and again, and despite concluding that I am in focus, the headaches persist.

Anyone else had a similar experience? Anything help? Thoughts? am I experiencing age-related degeneration? (I'm 37 yo)

Appreciate any thoughts
Sorry to derail this thread right away but how do you have over 1000 messages but only three likes? o.o

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry to derail this thread right away but how do you have over 1000 messages but only three likes? o.o
The like features is very recent. From the profile it looks like arctic char joined in 2005, well before you could "like" someone's post (whatever that actually does).

Members don't see this ad :)
You might consider getting your eyes checked. You’ve never had glasses, but (as you know), as we age our ability to accommodate changes. I wear strong glasses and I typically take them off to use a microscope. If my scope is not adjusted properly, I get headaches too.

Around age 40 my optometrist told me that I was in for "a precipitous decline in my visual acuity". He was correct. I agree that a visit to the optometrist\ophthalmologist is appropriate, recognizing that we should not be dispensing medical advice on this forum.

A few things...
I'd have your scope looked at or at least try out a few different scopes (frozen room, any other coworkers, etc)...there are a few scopes around here that cause me to strain my eyes...can't figure out why , optics probably messed up.

I'd also make a point to see an optometrist regularly...i see mine annually. Totally unrelated, but have known people (some pathologists) that have suffered retinal detachment and retinal artery occlusion...obviously there are telltale signs to those acute problems, but regular looks by a good opto is at least a good assurance of retinal health.

I have horrible vision and wear my glasses to the scope--IMO it's less strain on your eyes to maintain near 20/20 vision than to constantly shift from 20/20 at the scope to nearly-blind every time you look away at your slide trays, paperwork, computer, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Lately, however, I have been getting splitting headaches almost as soon as I start signing out in the morning...and despite concluding that I am in focus, the headaches persist.
To answer a question with a question: Are you sure the only trigger is using your microscope in the morning. i.e. do you experience these headaches on the weekend when [I assume] you're not signing out. And, do they cease as soon as you're done signing out for the day or persist throughout the evening? The onset/timing is important. I haven't heard of anyone experiencing this myself. And, I agree with others about seeking specialized care.

Seriously??? The guy comes on here with splitting headaches and you ask why he doesn't have enough likes, as if this is Facebook or Instagram...? Just stop and go away.

Is your microscope one of the new ones with an LED light source? Those new LEDs are very nice, but they can sear your corneas off of your not careful.

I sometimes get eye strain and headaches if the light source is too bright myself. Or, if the room is dark and you’re constantly having to switch from looking through the bright scope and then the dark room or dimmer computer screen.

You might consider getting your eyes checked. You’ve never had glasses, but (as you know), as we age our ability to accommodate changes. I wear strong glasses and I typically take them off to use a microscope. If my scope is not adjusted properly, I get headaches too.

It shouldn't be this. The microscope is the ultimate pair of glasses. I doubt this is a vision thing. More likely migraines triggered by the light or the intense use of the eyes. I hope you get it corrected. Good luck.

I think a neurologist would say you need a headache diary.

If it is truly limited to your microscope being turned on, does it happen if you use someone else's? Or is there something in your office that triggers?

I had the same exact issue around 2-3 years ago. It was fairly depressing. I did a point by point analysis of my daily routine from diet to exercise to magnification used to # of slides read etc. My eyeglasses seemed to be the issue and once I made the leap to contact lenses I did much better and the headaches went away. From my assessment, looking through glasses at slides and then looking up will cause a slight shift in the distance between the focal plane of the eye and the eyeglass lens. The more you push your glasses into the oculars, the worse this is too which I was starting to do. The distance between eye and focal plane of the contact never changes so this became my solution. Something to consider at least.

Around age 40 my optometrist told me that I was in for "a precipitous decline in my visual acuity". He was correct. I agree that a visit to the optometrist\ophthalmologist is appropriate, recognizing that we should not be dispensing medical advice on this forum.

Around your 40s seems to be the age for sure as I noticed my symptoms around this time. I attribute this to the fact once we hit 40 we are beyond our evolutionary usefulness as we should have already reproduced, reared young and should be in the process of dying to prevent Dr. Calhoun's Mouse Utopian #25 results (aka species death). So many health issues hit in your 40s this seems to be beginning of the downward phase of our existence for sure.

I had perfect vision until around 45. I then became myopic.
I start noticing that the street signs were not clear at 1000ft anymore on the hwy.
I can still read and get around without glasses. Everything greater than 10 feet gets pretty blurred.
I sure need them to drive, go to the movies and tumor board/etc.

I suspect this was due to of look through a microscope for 15 years. Should I get workman's comp?

Anyhow, I hope you figure out the headaches. Vision changes and headaches are not uncommon and can be work related.
How do you feel on the weekends? That is a big tell.

Perhaps you could be experiencing early stages of something like a slight strabismus? It might not bother you outside of work, but looking into the scope could magnify the problem? You couldn't tell just by looking at me, but I require prism glasses which look disappointingly normal. Apparently my two eyes are out of alignment just so that I get headaches from reading too long.

Disclaimer: Not an optho, optician, or neuro!

Perhaps you could be experiencing early stages of something like a slight strabismus? It might not bother you outside of work, but looking into the scope could magnify the problem? You couldn't tell just by looking at me, but I require prism glasses which look disappointingly normal. Apparently my two eyes are out of alignment just so that I get headaches from reading too long.

Disclaimer: Not an optho, optician, or neuro!

Thanks everyone for you input and well wishes. Sorry I haven't been able to respond sooner. Perhaps the workload lately, buying a new house and moving, my wife making me train for a f---ing Ironman triathlon, planning a wedding, and being short-staffed all combine poorly. But, to answer several posters, my weekends are usually just fine. And I get the headaches at other people's scopes too. I am fairly confident that the problem starts at work, more specifically reading slides. I have an optometry appointment scheduled, and will report back if any progress Is made is alleviating this nuisance.

i used to get headaches too.
turns out it was my neck. horrible posture at the scope.