headscarf & psychiatry??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
By the way, is that picture in your avatar you?

Just an aside and since this is a psychiatry forum..........

I had wondered since the beginning how someone with histrionic hair can go from that extreme to that of the other: covering it completely so as not to draw attraction or looks from others.

I'm sure you have thoughts on this too. Will you continue to dye it red underneath?

did you ever see "eternal sunshine of the spotless mind?" that's Kate Winslet!
she's probably the only woman that can make this hair look good & I like this scene a lot. the main character is reliving his memories & this one in particular explores his separation anxiety when his apparently absentee mother leaves him with an incompetent babysitter...again.
its really an interesting movie...
& nah I color my hair blonde bc its easiest to cover up the gray :D

Members don't see this ad.

On the other hand, I have been told by many Muslims that nowhere in Koran did Allah stipulate that the woman should wear a headscarf. And if this is the case, the only reason for women to wear one is to proclaim their faith publicly. Or to fit in with the culture, if you lived in a Muslim country (Saudi Arabia comes to mind) - but this is not what we are talking about here. __________________
Actually, it is stated explicitly in the Quran. Well, let me put it this way, the people who oppose hijab says it's not explicitly stated, and the people who support hijab say it is. It's all in the interpretation/translation of a specific word in the Quran. As for the Islamic scholars, there is pretty much unanimous agreement by scholars that this verse is referring to wearing hijab, including covering the hair.

I don't really agree that just because the Koran does not state specifically that women should wear headscarves, that it follows that the only reason for a woman to wear a headscarf is to proclaim her faith publicly. Religions are intertwined with cultures and history and are more complicated than that. But if you insist on taking anything Muslims do that is not mandated by the Koran and interpreting it as a "public" proclamation of their faith, then you must have the same standard for other religions. Some of the Christian faiths you mentioned also engage in practices that are nowhere mentioned in the Bible. For example, if a Catholic is saying the rosary in a public place, is that to make a public statement too, since the Bible does not instruct anyone to carry around a chain of beads? What I'm saying is there are beliefs that people hold that come from their religions even if they are not part of the religion's original dogma. But that does not make them reducible to mere public expressions.
Eloquently stated.

To the topic opener: thanks for starting this topic. I actually have some of the same questions, even though I already do hijab, since I am about to start medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
For example, if a Catholic is saying the rosary in a public place, is that to make a public statement too, since the Bible does not instruct anyone to carry around a chain of beads? What I'm saying is there are beliefs that people hold that come from their religions even if they are not part of the religion's original dogma. But that does not make them reducible to mere public expressions.

It could be a "public statement," which we are warned against doing in the New Testament:

And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." [Matthew 6:5-6]

Well, patients have the right to refuse to see a certain doctor...I've had patients that demanded a male for example. And at the VA hospital, some (Vietnam Vets) would not see me because I'm Asian. One even reported PTSD after seeing me. We have a resident that wears a hijab, and occasionally it comes up, but residents/staff/attendings are understanding.

It happens, do the best you can! I was hurt and offended, but it helps to keep in mind that they are sick, that is why they are there to see you. You just do the best that you can. And talking about your countertransference with your supervisors helps!!!!

I wear a Cross pendant, but I never thought of it as a public expression of my faith, but I guess in a way it is. On the other hand, I don't wear it to tell people I'm Christian, I wear it to remind me of my faith.

Ok so it's not as noticable as a headscarf, but in a way, it's the same.

Re-entering the thread not to express my personal opinion, but to provide a link to recently published professional guidance on physicians' personal beliefs and their effect on their practice. This guidance comes from General Medical Council in the UK, which is the equivalent to the US FSMB/State Medical Board. The full guidance (which is quite boring) is here http://www.gmc-uk.org/guidance/ethical_guidance/personal_beliefs/personal_beliefs.asp#F
in case anyone is interested. Here is an excerpt concerning the religious dress:

"Clothing and other expressions of religious belief or culture

1. We do not give advice on how doctors should dress. It is for employers to determine appropriate workplace dress, taking into account factors such as the nature of the role, health and safety considerations and religious or cultural requirements of staff members.
  2. However, it is important that patients feel able to build relationships of trust and communicate freely with their doctors. Some patients, for example, may find that a face veil worn by their doctor presents an obstacle to effective communication and the development of trust. You must be prepared to respond to a patient’s individual needs and take steps to anticipate and overcome any perceived barrier to communication. In some situations this may require you to set aside your personal and cultural preferences in order to provide effective patient care."
(Bold is mine).

I do not know if anything like this could ever become a regulatory document in the US, for admittedly this could be seen as something impinging on the doctor's personal freedoms. However, it may be seen as fair for patients: as FLpsychgirl pointed out, the patients are called patients for a reason: they are sick and they need your help, so you may have to make some concessions.

In any case, good luck with your personal journey. Sorry about the comparison with the Catholic's rosary, but if you read the posts carefully, I was not actually the one who brought the comparison up, and one of the major reasons I exited the thread previously was because I was getting uncomfortable with where this comparison was leading me. I believe, another poster, who brought the comparison into the discussion, apologised already.

Best wishes.

In any case, good luck with your personal journey. Sorry about the comparison with the Catholic's rosary, but if you read the posts carefully, I was not actually the one who brought the comparison up, and one of the major reasons I exited the thread previously was because I was getting uncomfortable with where this comparison was leading me. I believe, another poster, who brought the comparison into the discussion, apologised already.

Best wishes.

I'm the one who brought up the rosary comparison. Why is this such a big deal? I never apologized for the comparison--I was only trying to explain it. They're both religious expressions, and I don't see why I should need to apologize for comparing them. I never made the claim that wearing a headscarf is LIKE saying the rosary in public. Obviously, in a western country, wearing a headscarf would draw a lot more attention or controversy. If you read my original post, that discrepancy was what I was trying to point out.

Someone in a post prior to mine had made some generalizations about the reasons why someone would wear a headscarf (ie that it must be a public statement). That's ALL I was responding to with the comparison. People can do religious things to make a public statement, or they can do them for private reasons of their own. You'd have to interview each individual probably to find out WHY they're expressing their beliefs that way. I don't really see how anyone can generalize.

I think my comment has been taken out of context, but I in no way was trying to trivialize either the rosary or the headscarf. I'm getting kind of confused by this discussion at this point, I must say.

I'm the one who brought up the rosary comparison. Why is this such a big deal? I never apologized for the comparison--I was only trying to explain it. They're both religious expressions, and I don't see why I should need to apologize for comparing them. I never made the claim that wearing a headscarf is LIKE saying the rosary in public. Obviously, in a western country, wearing a headscarf would draw a lot more attention or controversy. If you read my original post, that discrepancy was what I was trying to point out.

Someone in a post prior to mine had made some generalizations about the reasons why someone would wear a headscarf (ie that it must be a public statement). That's ALL I was responding to with the comparison. People can do religious things to make a public statement, or they can do them for private reasons of their own. You'd have to interview each individual probably to find out WHY they're expressing their beliefs that way. I don't really see how anyone can generalize.

I think my comment has been taken out of context, but I in no way was trying to trivialize either the rosary or the headscarf. I'm getting kind of confused by this discussion at this point, I must say.

:) lol i agree the topic is getting a little confusing. ok ok for the official record...i was never upset by the comparison. Really I was just saying in my own opinion that I thought hijab might be seen as more foreign (for lack of a better term) I completely agree that there are similarities. I dont think anyone has said anything insensitive here at all.

I am very curious how this will play out, but I guess I'll know soon enough.

:) lol i agree the topic is getting a little confusing. ok ok for the official record...i was never upset by the comparison. Really I was just saying in my own opinion that I thought hijab might be seen as more foreign (for lack of a better term) I completely agree that there are similarities. I dont think anyone has said anything insensitive here at all. I actually feel bad that anyone is apologizing...please dont, in the profound words of my 6 yo niece, it gives me bad feelings lol.

I am very curious how this will play out, but I guess I'll know soon enough.