Health Care Bill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
if you want financial advice, call edward jones.

Members don't see this ad.

This truely concerns me because I will be entering podiatry school in the fall. I know that many people will bash me for saying this but one of the few main reasons I decided to go into this field is for a higher income, way higher than the average american, and much higher than joining the workforce upon graduate. With school costing 50K for four years, the investment of 4 years of TIME and studying, and 3 years of grueling residency, I expect to be rewarded.

The question now arises, "Is it worth it?" What does this really mean for a future podiatrist? I spoke with a young (32 years old) and successful podiatrist several weeks ago. He told me he would loose anywhere from 15-30% of his current income. That is very disheartening. However, he did tell me that he would still be very well off with a substantial decrease in salary but it would force him to either work more hours or accept the lower pay. I don't know many people who can say that if they would loose 15-30% of their income would still be "well off," but I don't think this is the norm.

So I would like to know what others think about this issue strictly in terms of finance. What can I expect? I am a future student bearing full responsibility of these loans and I want to know if you think it is worth it because I am second guessing my future every day and I don't think that I am alone.

If you have the grades and MCAT score to get into traditional MD or DO school then thats another option, if you specialize, that would prob net you a higher income then what you would make in podiatry.

As we all know dentistry is another good option too. Even becoming a Vet would be a wise choice from a financial perspective. The new healthcare laws don't affect the compensation for servicing animals and I am pretty sure Vets can charge whatever they want. Landing yourself a private practice in some weathly suburb would be a Vets dream come true.

To be frank, if you are doubting your future now then you will probably doubt yourself and your career choice while you are putting yourself through all this schooling and training. That doesn't sound like a very motivated state of mind to be in. Maybe you should defer your acceptance for a year and figure stuff out.

Last edited:
Feli - I wish I knew people like you outside of this magical interwebz world.