Health Insurance during School (SCCO)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EyeGuy2k12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to SCCO in the fall. I have read their website that recommends the: [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular][SIZE=-1] American Optometric Student Association, the American Optometric Association, or the California Optometric Association as possible places to get student health insurance.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Just get the cheapest plan available? Do students purchase vision plans?
[/SIZE].

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Just get the cheapest plan available? Do students purchase vision plans?
[/SIZE].

#1, you definatley don't need a vision plan. At ICO we were required to get an eye exam, and you get it for free. You also get good deals on glasses or contacts if you need them. So don't get that.

As far as insurance goes, you should get something. If you are in good health and don't really need regular healthcare, get some kind of catastrophic coverage in case of major illness or accident. Most schools have a student health center that offers free or cheap care for the normal stuff anyway.

I don't have any advise on the plans you mentioned, but get something. Also, if you are female, you may want to look into one that has pregnancy coverage. A married guy in my class got a little surprise when his wife told him she was pregnant. They weren't exactly planing that and they had to pay it all out of pocket.

hey; i go to scco.. i know people who get insurance through the aosa... i got mine just offline at www.ehealthinsurance.com and i am pretty happy with it! definitely dont get vision coverage because all exams are free at school plus a bunch of different types of contacts and a pretty nice discount on frames/lenses

Rpames and Cunikki, thank you for your responses. I will definitely check out the link Cunikki!!!