Health Insurance? (I’m struggling with adulting)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calvin89

ISU c/o 2019!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I’ll be graduating in May and moving to a different state. I won’t be eligible for the (amazing) health insurance I’m currently on anymore and will need new coverage. I’ve been offered an otherwise great contract at a clinic that I like a lot, but there is no health insurance offered (not enough employees at the clinic need it for them to be able to offer a group plan). They’ve offered to increase my salary by a set amount to account for this, but... I’m just feeling lost with all of this. It’s my understanding that AVMA used to have a health insurance plan but they don’t anymore. Does anyone have any recommendations to help me (even recommendations on who would be a good resource to talk to)? Right now it seems like I’m looking at getting a short-term plan until open enrollment period begins, but I’m not sure how to look up what I can (roughly) expect to pay for a plan long-term since open enrollment is closed right now. I’d like to know so that I can compare the additional salary amount and make sure it’s in the budget. Any words of wisdom? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you sure you don’t qualify for a special enrollment period? You should if you’re losing current coverage. Check with the state you’re moving to for what they allow special enrollment periods for.

Are you sure you don’t qualify for a special enrollment period? You should if you’re losing current coverage. Check with the state you’re moving to for what they allow special enrollment periods for.
Thanks, you’re right. :)

Thanks, you’re right. :)
I’m glad you’re able to have an open enrollment! I know people who were on private insurance before the ACA, and it’s ungodly expensive, so didn’t want you to have to use it if it wasn’t needed :)