Health insurance through med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chattkis

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For everyone who is using the health insurance that your med school offers - how did it compare to getting an individual policy on your own?

Also, I really need to get the insurance starting July 1st but classes don't start until August -- who would I call??

Members don't see this ad.

your school should provide you with the information about health insurance (i believe all med students need it before entering)

As for me, I'm under 25 so I can still use my parents. My belief is if you can use your parents, that would be the cheapest. If not, then the school would probably offer a better rate than private insurance.

But it wouldn't hurt to get the school's rates first and then shop around!

Agree with the above - your parents' policies, if you can still be on them, are far and away the best choice.

If not, unless you're rolling in $$, you'll pretty much have to go with the school's policy. Getting commercial insurance without support from an employer is horrifically expensive. :eek:

For the two months until medical school starts you'll have to go with a COBRA policy, unless you were in school up until May and your previous school covers the summer for recent graduates (many do). Start with checking on that before you go with any of these other very costly options.

Huge good luck to you. SK

Members don't see this ad :)
Spacekat said:
For the two months until medical school starts you'll have to go with a COBRA policy, unless you were in school up until May and your previous school covers the summer for recent graduates (many do). Start with checking on that before you go with any of these other very costly options.

Huge good luck to you. SK

FYI: COBRA insurance is generally horrifically expensive. I looked into continuing my medical insurance after quiting a job a year ago and it would have cost $298 a month.

Check out Blue Cross Blue Shield individual plans. I remember seeing something liek $75 a month for one person, which is definately doable for a couple of months. Your other options are to forgo the insurance and find a clinic that charges by the visit (ex: Planned Parenthood for women's exams) and hope you don't have any major accidents. Also, check with your current auto insurance company for a referral or they may even have health insurance. Many times they may know of decent plans that will get you by for a short time.
Good luck!

Yeah I would stay on the parents but I am getting married in June, throwing that loophole in there. I could go on my husbands but I wondered if the school's would be cheaper.

I wonder if COBRAing off my parents would be cheaper than doing it off a job.

chattkis said:
Yeah I would stay on the parents but I am getting married in June, throwing that loophole in there. I could go on my husbands but I wondered if the school's would be cheaper.

I wonder if COBRAing off my parents would be cheaper than doing it off a job.

Most likely going with your husband's insurance will be the cheapest. Call the financial aid office they should be able to direct you to the information you need.

You can get a high deductible plan for a healthy adult. I was getting quotes as low as $100. Since my husband and I are students and we need health insurance (over 25). I have a pretty comprehensive plan for both of us for about $250/mn. That's with prescription benefits, copays for doctors visits, low deductible ($1500), and 80/20 coinsurance up to $10000, then 100%. There really are some great options out there that alot of people don't know about.

I checked ehealthinsurance.com and also a few other sites. I've literally had at least 2-3 phone calls a day since I went into a database on some site of sales people calling about health insurance. Some of them have decent plans but make sure you know what you are getting into. I liked ehealthinsurance.com because they have a pamphlet that explains everything to you and I called and talked to someone as well. They did help me out alot.

If you have any questions, let me know!

mshheaddoc said:
You can get a high deductible plan for a healthy adult. I was getting quotes as low as $100. Since my husband and I are students and we need health insurance (over 25). I have a pretty comprehensive plan for both of us for about $250/mn. That's with prescription benefits, copays for doctors visits, low deductible ($1500), and 80/20 coinsurance up to $10000, then 100%. There really are some great options out there that alot of people don't know about.

If you have any questions, let me know!

ahh 250/month?? we cant afford that for sure. But he will have his at work so I am hoping to find something $85 or less a month for me - is this possible??

chattkis said:
ahh 250/month?? we cant afford that for sure. But he will have his at work so I am hoping to find something $85 or less a month for me - is this possible??
thar's also 2 of us` with good coverage. if you don't go to a doctor or get sick often there are better packages.

If your husband is with a decent sized company hopefully his employer might pay part of the insurance. Then 2 of you would be less than $$100/mn. That is your best bet for total coverage.

My Humana One policy is ~$80/month with a $1000 Deductible and 20% CoInsurance.

I pay over 300 dollars a month for my Blue Cross. :mad: They will rate you for any pre-existing conditions, even though according to thier website they cover pre-existing conditions if you had insurance for the previous year. (If you have a lapse in coverage there is a waiting period for either six months or a year, I can't remember what, for pre-existing conditions)

I was rated for my asthma, allergies, and GERD. I take daily meds for all three, but I'm generally healthy (current problems notwithstanding) and it's ridiculous to pay that much every month. My parents have no insurance so I can't be on their policy (I'm 24). I wouldn't be able to afford insurance if I wasnt' living with my parents right now.

But I'm greatful for what I have, because four years ago BCBS denied me coverage for the three conditions I mentioned before. I had no history of surgery or any other chronic problems, and they denied me. Not nice.

I'll be thrilled once I get into med school and can be on the school's policy. It's gotta be better than no coverage at all!