health insurance wags

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharm00123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since wags has switched to a private health insurance exchange, I was wondering if there is any way to opt out of getting health insurance from them if I will still be under my parents health plan after I graduate?? Is there any way to get cash/get the money in your paycheck in place of the subsidy they provide for the insurance?

Members don't see this ad.

Since wags has switched to a private health insurance exchange, I was wondering if there is any way to opt out of getting health insurance from them if I will still be under my parents health plan after I graduate?? Is there any way to get cash/get the money in your paycheck in place of the subsidy they provide for the insurance?
Isn't the rule that you may stay on your parents health insurance if you are 26 years or younger and in school? Are you sure you will be eligible post-grad?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't the rule that you may stay on your parents health insurance if you are 26 years or younger and in school? Are you sure you will be eligible post-grad?
Didn't know there was a "and in school" caveat. If it's true, they haven't found out yet, and hopefully it'll last. Pop is in the teachers union and has sweet insurance.

Edit: https://www.healthcare.gov/can-i-keep-my-child-on-my-insurance-until-age-26/
Nah, I'm good. Didn't know you could be married and still keep it though. I thought marriage would cut you off.

• I don't think there is a way to get the cash/subsidy. I'l turn 26 in 2014 so I had to enroll in insurance for Jan 1 or have no insurance. If you don't want to pay extra just take the lowest quality plan (bronze). I chose a minor upgrade because the difference in cost to me and deductables/coverage maximums was in my favor.

Is there a way to just NOT sign up for insurance then? When I graduate this may I will be younger than 26 so I can still be on my parents plan. We have awesome insurance and id rather just have that until I can before I have to start paying for it out of my own paycheck!

Just don't enroll in an insurance plan. Open enrollment isn't until October/November. If I were younger I wouldn't have enrolled. I didn't enroll right when I graduated but since I turn 26 in 2014 I had to. So for you if you turn 26 in 2015 you will have to enroll at the end of 2014 to have insurance in 2015 (if everything stays the same)