Health Professionals Scholarship Program (HPSP)-PHYSICAL THERAPY-Application Open!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone got any news yet?
Nothing yet, I heard to expect something around mid-June. Unless you are going to become a P3, then you should have heard back around this month timeframe.

Members don't see this ad.

okay, makes sense. I just didn't know if it was a multi-step process. Like if we should get notifications about making it past the first screening phases or something.
I received a notification some time back about being referred to the next step. But that is all I have heard.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok....here's my HPSP update. I was contacted this morning and told that my application was incomplete, yet I quadruple checked everything and had my application turned in a month before the original deadline. I also double-checked all of my paper work which was also correct, so I'll let everyone here know what my final status is when I hear back from them.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok....here's my HPSP update. I was contacted this morning and told that my application was incomplete, yet I quadruple checked everything and had my application turned in a month before the original deadline. I also double-checked all of my paper work which was also correct, so I'll let everyone here know what my final status is when I hear back from them.
That sounds frustrating.

Seems like if you are not graduating class of 2019, they did not have any funds available to offer scholarships to those in later graduating years. However, for those of us that were referred, we will be up for consideration earlier than this past scholarship application deadline date.

Hello!

I too have applied and have not heard anything yet. I was referred end of March and am in the graduating class of 2019 so I hope and pray everyone gets it!
Any updates? I will update as soon as I hear - considering that it is Wednesday - hopefully it holds true that we will hear this week!!!

I heard you get a phone call if chosen as well.

Hello!

I too have applied and have not heard anything yet. I was referred end of March and am in the graduating class of 2019 so I hope and pray everyone gets it!
Any updates? I will update as soon as I hear - considering that it is Wednesday - hopefully it holds true that we will hear this week!!!
Ok, @ptlover you probably will get the scholarship with that graduation date.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I am starting Baylor's DPT program in January and was wondering if anyone knew of any scholarships to apply for? Unfortunately Baylor does not offer any financial aid so any scholarship opportunities would greatly help!

Hello! I am starting Baylor's DPT program in January and was wondering if anyone knew of any scholarships to apply for? Unfortunately Baylor does not offer any financial aid so any scholarship opportunities would greatly help!
I honestly thought those who are admitted in Baylor's DPT program did not have to pay tuition, but actually get paid...

Anyone hear back?

I honestly thought those who are admitted in Baylor's DPT program did not have to pay tuition, but actually get paid...
There are two Baylor DPT programs. There's the Army-Baylor DPT program, which has no tuition (you are on active duty in the military while attending so you also get a salary), and the new hybrid model Baylor DPT, which has tuition.

I’m passing all of these ideas along because I’m now learning exactly how expensive DPT school is and it’s scary...

There’s also a medical field student loan repayment program right now through AMEDD recruiters valued at $40,000 a year for a maximum of $120,000 in return for an Active Duty Service Obligation (or Reserves in some cases!)

I also received the following info from Mr. Dixon about the scholarship this thread is about:

Currently, the application window is closed for Health Professional Scholarship (HPSP) and Visual Impairment and Orientation and Mobility Professionals Scholarship Program (VIOMPSP) The application will open once again around March/April 2019. Currently, HPSP and VIOMPSP office is working on developing an online application. The completion of this application determines when the next application cycle will open. Start inquiring about the application cycle after February 2019. The list of specific programs of study that HPSP and VIOMPSP will target in 2019 is not available and will not be available till February 2019.

To qualify for this Scholarship Program, you must be a U.S. citizen, unconditionally accepted for enrollment or currently enrolled in a program of study leading to a degree as determined by the Scholarship Program office just prior to the application opening. These occupations are determined by evaluating the VA Workforce Succession Plan and then targeting the Top 5 Title 38/Hybrid Title 38 hard to recruit/retain occupations in the VA. After completion of your education, you must serve as a full-time clinical VA employee for a minimum of two years for HPSP and three years for VIOMPSP. If you are under a service obligation to serve at another entity or obligated under any other Federal program, you will be ineligible for the HPSP or VIOMPSP Scholarship Award.

HPSP and VIOMPSP is federally regulated to target those in their last 1-2 years of academics. Selections of those requiring more than 2-years of support are few.

For HPSP, the school you are attending must have a pre-existing affiliation with a VA Hospital. Clinical Tour requirement should be conducted in the normal course of your studies and we would like every participant to accomplish this clinical at one of our VA facilities. We will work diligently with each selected student to ensure these clinical tours are available. We also target those in their last year of their education program. Others requiring additional years are also considered and accepted as fund become available.

HPSP and VIOMPSP are not retroactive payment programs. Payments start Fall Semester 2019. If you graduate before the Summer Semester of 2019, you will not be eligible for this scholarship.

As part of the acceptance into HPSP and VIOMPSP, the applicant must sign a mobility agreement stating that they are willing to relocate at their own expense for placement at the discretion of VA. While we do work with you in the placement process to meet our needs and yours, there is no guarantee. We request your top 5 placement options 6-months prior to graduation and work with you to try and place within your Top 5 list but once again, there are no guarantees. Once placed, you are considered a full-time employee with rights, pay and benefits authorized to any employee of the VA.

For HPSP, we top off any existing grants and scholarship up to 100% tuition and approved fees. There is also a monthly stipend of $1,104 while you are in school as well as a once a year stipend of $1,125 for books. If you are a current full time Federal Employee, you will not qualify to receive the monthly stipend is selected. If you are receiving the GI Bill, this program will only supplement what you are receiving and you cannot receive both the GI Bill monthly stipend and the HPSP monthly stipend concurrently.

For VIOMPSP, we top off any existing grants and scholarship up to $15,000/year for tuition and approved fees with a maximum cap of $45,000 for the entire time you are in the scholarship program. If you are receiving the GI Bill, this program will only supplement what you are receiving.

Clinical Tour: (HPSP Only): Applicant must be willing to perform a clinical tour, at a VA healthcare facility, while the participant is enrolled in the course of education or training for which a scholarship is awarded. The student is responsible to contact the school’s clinical tour coordinator to determine the assignment and location of the clinical tour. If there are no existing affiliations or if space availability is an issue, please notify the scholarship team.

Residencies are authorized and you would have to request a Service Obligation Deferment. After graduation, you can defer your service obligation till the residency is complete. You will incur an additional ½ the residency time to the service obligation. For example, if you graduate and owe 2-years to the VA, and then take a 1 year residency, you will incur and additional 6-months service obligation making your total service obligation 2 years and 6 months. If the residency is with the VA, the time in the residency does not count towards your service obligation and the additional time incurs as previously mentioned. Right now, only residencies of 1-year or less are being approved prior to the onset of the student Service Obligation.

Has any SPT received an HPSP scholarship, ever? It seems like such an difficult application process, but you never hear of anyone ever getting it. Is it all a myth?

Has any SPT received an HPSP scholarship, ever? It seems like such an difficult application process, but you never hear of anyone ever getting it. Is it all a myth?
Two people in my DPT program at Duke got it, and it's our first year.

The world is against PTs so it seems, not enough money in it lol.

Reactions: 1 users
Us being underpaid is more the reason to want to utilize our services, I would think. lol

The bill sent to insurance companies for medications, surgeries and other non-PT services is much higher than what a PT can bill insurance for or what we have to do may not even be billable. Primarily why we are underpaid is recouping costs directly from insurance companies is difficult, this shouldn't apply to the VA tho at least.

I emailed them to ask why we are no longer offered HPSP.

Attachments

• 75559CEE-A78F-47A4-B54A-BA1325E0061A.jpeg
    75559CEE-A78F-47A4-B54A-BA1325E0061A.jpeg
    77.7 KB · Views: 117
Two people in my DPT program at Duke got it, and it's our first year.
Are you sure we are talking about the same program, because it is practically never given to 1st year students?

Well, the scholarship application was posted on USAJOBS and only ones I see are for PA and nursing. Seems what has been said is true and PT will not be included in the VA scholarship this year.

Are you sure we are talking about the same program, because it is practically never given to 1st year students?

Yep. I’m sure. I was pretty surprised. Both students come from involved military families however.