Healthcare Administration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cardiac

Full of Love
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if something like this has been posted before, but my searches for the topic were unsuccessful.

I'm interested in working in upper-level healthcare administration, and am trying to figure out what common paths are to get there. Unfortunately, the only good sources of information out there are the executive profiles of public healthcare corporations, and some of these seem atypical (if there even is a typical profile for a C-level healthcare administrator).

My biggest question is whether or not top-level healthcare administrators generally have MDs, or are more business-focused. I'm currently a senior and am going to work for a top consulting firm (think McKinsey/Bain/BCG) in their healthcare practice, but I plan to go back to school after two-to-three years. I'm still working on what type of school I will go back to, and was therefore hoping someone who currently works in healthcare administration could explain what paths current people in the field have followed.

Members don't see this ad.

It's a mix out there. Some of the top hospital executives and CEOs are physicians while others simply are excellent administrators who don't have any advanced degrees. Having an advanced degree will help with career advancement, but you also need to have strong leadership skills to climb these corporate ladders and get to top healthcare executive positions.

Sorry if something like this has been posted before, but my searches for the topic were unsuccessful.

I'm interested in working in upper-level healthcare administration, and am trying to figure out what common paths are to get there. Unfortunately, the only good sources of information out there are the executive profiles of public healthcare corporations, and some of these seem atypical (if there even is a typical profile for a C-level healthcare administrator).

My biggest question is whether or not top-level healthcare administrators generally have MDs, or are more business-focused. I'm currently a senior and am going to work for a top consulting firm (think McKinsey/Bain/BCG) in their healthcare practice, but I plan to go back to school after two-to-three years. I'm still working on what type of school I will go back to, and was therefore hoping someone who currently works in healthcare administration could explain what paths current people in the field have followed.

I would say "no". From my experience, top administrators come from many different backgrounds. In my healthcare administration masters program for instance, there was a huge variety: healthcare business consultants like myself, MDs, program directors, nurses, pharmacists, insurance underwriters, etc.. Having a clinical background can be very helpful, but possessing strong business acumen is really the key. There are also many without specialized healthcare or business degrees as well. It's hard to say though whether there is a common denominator among top administrators....that would be a fantastic top to research. I bet the MGMA has some info on that.

Members don't see this ad :)
The ACPE (American College of Physician Executives) is a great resource for those of you who may be interested in pursuing careers in medical management.

A few other resources are: Medical Group Management Association (MGMA) and American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE).

I'm also partial to (and a certified member of) the NSCHBC (National Society of Certified Healthcare Business Consultants). They've recently introduced a resource for healthcare administration students who are looking to become members and obtain the CHBC (certified healthcare business consultant) designation. Their site is nschbc.org

The ACPE (American College of Physician Executives) is a great resource for those of you who may be interested in pursuing careers in medical management.

A few other resources are: Medical Group Management Association (MGMA) and American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE).

The MGMA also has a great section for "Early Careerists and Students"

Thanks for the info Chris. I'm going to medical school in the fall, but also obtaining my MHA right now. I'd be interested in discussing things with you, or maybe just chatting about your business through private messages (or whatever) if you had the time.

im a med student now and i have to say that if you ONLY want to be an administrator then getting and MD is probably the most painful way of doing so. there are many other degree and career pathways that can save you the money, time and sanity that med students go through. on the other hand, if you want to practice in addition to being an administator, THEN do the MD with or without another degree (mba, mha, mph, etc). many schools have such dual-degree programs already set up

Reactions: 1 user
im a med student now and i have to say that if you ONLY want to be an administrator then getting and MD is probably the most painful way of doing so. there are many other degree and career pathways that can save you the money, time and sanity that med students go through. on the other hand, if you want to practice in addition to being an administator, THEN do the MD with or without another degree (mba, mha, mph, etc). many schools have such dual-degree programs already set up

I agree with this. An MD without a residency and subsequent medical practice is not very useful.

Reactions: 1 user

good points. also something to consider is whether a degree will be relevant by the time one finishes. some career paths involve lifelong learning, and it's important to understand what type of learner one is and which paths are best suited to that style.

Great thread, I have been real interested in Hospital or Health Care Administration/Management. I use to be a premed student, however I lost interest and didn't have that desire to become a doctor. But I still have a interest in Health Care. I am planning on going through a Masters in Public Health program, and perhaps trying a Dual Joint Degree with a MHA.

But before I jump into this field I have been doing some research on finding if there is a Job Demand for Health Care Admins or Hospital Administrators. I am having a hard time finding what I am looking for, so I might as well ask you guys on this thread since you know what your talking about. Do you think there is a good demand for Hospital Administrators? Also if I were to graduate with a MPH/MHA or just an MHA would it be difficult getting a Job? Also does one have to spend a good amount of time working up the health care corporate ladder in order to have a decent paying job ($70,000+ annual)?

If you guys have any resources that may help me with my questions, or just more information on the career life of a Hospital Administrator than can you please either message me or just post it on this thread.

Thanks

Greencresent, i'll paraphrase my private message to you so i can weigh-in on the discussion within this thread.

It's difficult to generalize all hospital administrator positions...a small rural hospital will have vastly different needs and salary/growth potential than that of a large IDS in a major metroplex. Overall I would say that there is great opportunity in this field and you should pursue it if you have an genuine interest in the business/administration side of healthcare. In my personal opinion, the best route to an administrator or executive position is through accounting, finance, or business development. These are core competencies which transcend specific settings...meaning you can take this knowledge and apply it anywhere (hospital, health system, insurance company, group practice, etc).

As far as the degree is concerned, I would get the MPH if you have a passion for public health, epidemiology, health research, etc. You may be better off getting a healthcare-focused MBA or an MHA/MSHCA if your primary interest is the business/management side...these are better geared towards what you're trying to do. This is just my opinion based on my experience. Everyone takes their own route and something may work better for someone else. Keep in mind I've never worked for a hospital...I'm an independent consultant who works with private practices, group practices, and clinics.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about RNs and NPs working in hospital administration? How frequently is that seen? Do these positions, like MDs not require an additional degree like an MBA or MHA in order to make it up the ladder? How often do NPs/RNs take such positions of hospital administrative authority and are they qualified enough?

What about RNs and NPs working in hospital administration? How frequently is that seen? Do these positions, like MDs not require an additional degree like an MBA or MHA in order to make it up the ladder? How often do NPs/RNs take such positions of hospital administrative authority and are they qualified enough?

Not sure, but it would be interesting to see stats on that. I had a few RN's in my master's program; one was a director and the other was looking to transition out of patient care and into management in the long run. Nurses who have solid business management acumen would do great in such roles.

Greencresent, i'll paraphrase my private message to you so i can weigh-in on the discussion within this thread.

It's difficult to generalize all hospital administrator positions...a small rural hospital will have vastly different needs and salary/growth potential than that of a large IDS in a major metroplex. Overall I would say that there is great opportunity in this field and you should pursue it if you have an genuine interest in the business/administration side of healthcare. In my personal opinion, the best route to an administrator or executive position is through accounting, finance, or business development. These are core competencies which transcend specific settings...meaning you can take this knowledge and apply it anywhere (hospital, health system, insurance company, group practice, etc).

As far as the degree is concerned, I would get the MPH if you have a passion for public health, epidemiology, health research, etc. You may be better off getting a healthcare-focused MBA or an MHA/MSHCA if your primary interest is the business/management side...these are better geared towards what you're trying to do. This is just my opinion based on my experience. Everyone takes their own route and something may work better for someone else. Keep in mind I've never worked for a hospital...I'm an independent consultant who works with private practices, group practices, and clinics.

hey dr. chris,

i am a foreign tranied dentist and i am very much keen on doing MHA i just wanted to know how r the job opening for MHA? n what is better doing MHA or MPH? thanks a lot...

hey dr. chris,

i am a foreign tranied dentist and i am very much keen on doing MHA i just wanted to know how r the job opening for MHA? n what is better doing MHA or MPH? thanks a lot...

hi usdds08. thanks for the note. why you are considering the MHA? are you not planning on practicing dentistry?

very frequently. in fact sometimes NOT having a RN after your name will not allow you to apply to some positions. many hospitals have CNOs, chief nursing officers as well as VPs of nursing services. many clinical manager positions require RN licensure as well. some RNs do not have management degrees, but I've seen some positions state that the applicant must complete X degree within a specified time frame.

That sounds promising.....What about PAs? I haven't heard too much about PAs working in healthcare administration, like you said nurses have some of their own positions that they can only take, but can PAs function in the roles in administration that MDs sometimes fill...obviously nothing like a CMO but something similar perhaps? How do PAs do it?

Interesting. I have a background in psych and have been considering various paths I can take as well. One was I/O psych. Another is MHA.

I do not have a business background but I'm finding that I want to do something more than therapy and research. I want to be able to make changes at a higher point in the food chain. I am an idealist at heart and I think having more power and resources is going to make it easier for me to make positive changes that are in line with my values and principles. I don't know if that's how it works though....

Interesting. I have a background in psych and have been considering various paths I can take as well. One was I/O psych. Another is MHA.

I do not have a business background but I'm finding that I want to do something more than therapy and research. I want to be able to make changes at a higher point in the food chain. I am an idealist at heart and I think having more power and resources is going to make it easier for me to make positive changes that are in line with my values and principles. I don't know if that's how it works though....

I feel there are many changes to be made on the business/administrative side of healthcare which can be equally effective in improving health delivery and health outcomes. Do you feel you can make a better impact as a clinician, or that the "business" aspects are incongruous with making positive changes?

Today’s Healthcare Industry is one of the most complex , Dynamic and fastest growing industries in the world, which in turn has fueled the demand for Leaders with both business acumen and exceptional insight into complexities of this industry. Equally critical is the need for creative new approaches to improve patient’s outcomes, access to care, and cost management strategies etc .Hence we have placed the priority on applying the best principles of management, entrepreneurship, &innovation to reshape this industry with launching the Post Graduate Program for Healthcare Services.

Hi

I am pursuing my msc in leadership and management in health in UK. I have finish my graduation in physiotherapy from India, I have an experience of 2.5 years in variety of settings.
I wanted to know the area in which i should apply after my Msc. can any one please tell me??

thank you

regard

kumar

Hi

I am pursuing my msc in leadership and management in health in UK. I have finish my graduation in physiotherapy from India, I have an experience of 2.5 years in variety of settings.
I wanted to know the area in which i should apply after my Msc. can any one please tell me??

thank you

regard

kumar

Kumar, are you looking to obtain another degree after the MSC or to enter the workforce? Sounds like you'll have a good balance of clincial and administration after obtaining the MSC.

I m a foreign trained dentist and I have been trying for a dental school in the USA.Most of the dental schools give preference to those who are pursuing study in here.I am planning to join MBA concentration in health care while I am preparing and applying for the dental schools. However MBA is completely different field from dentistry so bit confused what should I do?

Hello everyone .

I am the student of MD in Russia .. Carrying out my final 4 months after what soon i am going to be entitled with Dr. prefix before my name.

Throughout all these years of medschool, I realized gradually that the healthcare and it's management into it's totality is what that actually fascinated me .

Moreover , i am interested to work in the top level administrative positions in hospitals . Right now , i am planning to come to USA as a student by this fall but speculating everything , which master's degree is the most suitable ?

What kind of habits should i start developing to acquire the perfect administrative touch to my life like dressing , talking habits , specific personality , sense of humor etc. The most painful way till getting done with MD is almost at the edge and the next move is what can lead my life in the directions of my desires to climb the corporate ladder of healthcare industry ..

As i am the fresh member of SDN , I have no acquaintance . Those who would like to be in my contacts , don't hesitate to add me to your friends . It will be my pleasure to learn something from all of you . Thank you .

It's a mix out there. Some of the top hospital executives and CEOs are physicians while others simply are excellent administrators who don't have any advanced degrees. Having an advanced degree will help with career advancement, but you also need to have strong leadership skills to climb these corporate ladders and get to top healthcare executive positions.
this article on hospital CEOs was pretty eye-opening
http://www.healthcareadministration.com/becoming-a-hospital-ceo/

seems like the average salary is $225k/year and the CEOs don't necessarily have a MD degree. "Prior to becoming CEOs, they must have about 8-10 years of experience in administrative, management and healthcare positions."

Hey !
I have been trying to figure out if admission into the Master of Health Administration program is competitive , but so far I have received a lot of different opinions. Can you guys please tell me how difficult is it to get into a decent college for MHA?
Also, how good are Penn State and University of Pittsburgh for MHA? Which is better?