Heard from Program after AOA match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boety17

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I matched on Monday in the AOA match and I am very excited to be matched in my number 1 choice. I haven't really heard from them yet, just an email saying congratulations. I thought I would be hearing from them soon with a contract? Are others starting to be contacted by their programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It's only been 5 days. I wouldn't worry quite yet. If you don't hear anything in a 2 weeks then try contacting them and inquiring when you should expect it. They did afterall already contact you post-match. It's not like they could drop you without having a match violation at this point.

Edited based on info below.

Last edited:
This is the information I found on the AOA NMS website. Based on this information I caution you to contact the program as soon as you can.
'The institution must complete an institutional contract for each matched student, and send it within 10 working days after receipt of the Match results to the student for his/her signature. Failure to do so places the institution in violation of its Match commitments and could jeopardize continuation of the program. In addition, if an institution fails to send a contract to a matched student within 10 working days, the student may be released from the Match obligation without prejudice.

After receiving the contract from the institution, the student has thirty (30) days in which to sign the contract and return it to the institution. Beyond 30 days, the institution has the right to notify the student of its decision to withdraw the contract offer. In such cases, when a contract is withdrawn because the student fails to sign it, the student is in violation of his/her Match commitment. Such a breach of contract precludes the student from taking any other AOA-accredited training program for one (1) year, and from AOA approval of any postdoctoral training during that year. Only students for whom the institution has a signed institutional contract may receive credit for the training year.'

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Congratulations.

It's not surprising that it takes a few days for the program to sort out contracts for everyone and send them out, so don't panic yet. You should make sure the program has your full, correct and up to date contact details, and could contact them towards of next week if you haven't heard anything. explorertx's quote says that you are released from your obligation if you don't get a contract within two weeks, but as you don't want to be released that is irrelevant: the program is still bound to offer the contract even if they don't get it out within the 10 working days, and I doubt the AOA is going to worry about a short further delay - after all, it only concerns matched students who want to attend the program so who is going to complain it's a (pretty technical) match violation?

Reactions: 1 user