SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

hearing loss

Discussion in 'Pain Medicine' started by Pain_doc, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Pain_doc

Pain_doc Old Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 9, 2006
    Anyone ever had a case of acutely decreased hearing acuity following a lumbar selective nerve injection? A patient called in the day following a L L4 with decreased hearing on the left side. No apparent vascular/intrathecal spread with injection. No immediate complications noted. (Unfortunately, no pain relief either).

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. algosdoc

algosdoc algosdoc 10+ Year Member

May 3, 2005
    Florida
    This happened to one of my elderly patients a few years back. The hearing aid had fallen out during the procedure.

4. Mister Mxyzptlk

Mister Mxyzptlk 10+ Year Member

May 16, 2006
    Yewston, TX
  5. jsaul

jsaul Member 10+ Year Member

Sep 27, 2005
    it happened to a collegue here. Pt complained of hearing loss after ESI. Was very upset. Pain doc ordered MRI of brain and c spine and ref to neuro. Neuro said everything looked okay but blamed it on the epidural.

Patient is still upset about this unilateral hearing loss. He comes to me for opionion on ESI and hearing loss. I think he was looking to sue and build a case. I notice his left ear has hearing aid but not his right. I said maybe you need to wear a hearing aid on your right ear from now on. He says I already do. and i said no you don't

it had fallen off during the procedure.

6. lobelsteve

lobelsteve SDN Lifetime Donor Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

May 30, 2005
    Canton GA
    Slipman published an article on dysphagia or similar as a case series following interventional procedures.

Interesting, but difficult to prove other than the time course.

7. mille125

mille125 7+ Year Member

Dec 8, 2006
    i think that it is a bunch of bull****...but just my opinion

8. Mister Mxyzptlk

Mister Mxyzptlk 10+ Year Member

May 16, 2006
    Yewston, TX
    I suppose this could happen if there is a dural puncture. Intracranial hypotension can cause hearing deficits. Of course in this case you'd have to posit some very rare things, such as dural puncture during TFESI with a subsequent asymptomatic CSF leak.

Of course, just because A follows B doesn't mean B caused A. I was once accused of causing shingles in the lumbar area a month after an epidural.