• The site has been updated!

If you see any bugs, please report them in this thread.

hearing loss

Pain_doc

Old Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Anyone ever had a case of acutely decreased hearing acuity following a lumbar selective nerve injection? A patient called in the day following a L L4 with decreased hearing on the left side. No apparent vascular/intrathecal spread with injection. No immediate complications noted. (Unfortunately, no pain relief either).

About the Ads

jsaul

15+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2005
Status (Visible)
it happened to a collegue here. Pt complained of hearing loss after ESI. Was very upset. Pain doc ordered MRI of brain and c spine and ref to neuro. Neuro said everything looked okay but blamed it on the epidural.

Patient is still upset about this unilateral hearing loss. He comes to me for opionion on ESI and hearing loss. I think he was looking to sue and build a case. I notice his left ear has hearing aid but not his right. I said maybe you need to wear a hearing aid on your right ear from now on. He says I already do. and i said no you don't

it had fallen off during the procedure.

Mister Mxyzptlk

15+ Year Member
May 16, 2006
Yewston, TX
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I suppose this could happen if there is a dural puncture. Intracranial hypotension can cause hearing deficits. Of course in this case you'd have to posit some very rare things, such as dural puncture during TFESI with a subsequent asymptomatic CSF leak.

Of course, just because A follows B doesn't mean B caused A. I was once accused of causing shingles in the lumbar area a month after an epidural.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.