1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Heart question

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by joonkimdds, Dec 10, 2008.

1. joonkimdds

joonkimdds Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    3. Which of the following occurs during ventricular systole?

A. Increased aortic pressure
    B. Increased ventricular volume
    C. Dup heart sound
    D. P wave

answer is A and I don't understand why.

All I learned at this stage is

ventricular pressure goes up
    atria pressure goes down
    AV valve closes.

And isn't ventricle supposed to eject blood from heart at this stage?
    To do so, it should open semiluar valve but if aortic pressure is higher than ventricle pressure, I think all the blood will back flow into the ventricle.

#1 joonkimdds, Dec 10, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Danny289

Danny289 Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    pay attention to the question it is asking"during ventricular systole" that means blood is ejecting to aorta the result will be increasing blood pressure in aorta, the semilunar valve will be closed later.the anotomy of valves lead the closing in higher pressure of aorta actualy higher pressure in ventricle will open the valve toward aorta.

4. joonkimdds

joonkimdds Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Since aortic pressure is increasing, that means ventricle pressure is decreasing and that means ventricle volume should increase so doesn't it make B the correct answer too?

#3 joonkimdds, Dec 10, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  5. MediumDef

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    During this phase ventricular pressure will remain relatively constant as blood leaves the heart and the ventricular volume goes down.

6. Streetwolf

Streetwolf Ultra Senior Member
    Dentist 7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Why are you relating this to ideal gas laws?

7. Katalyst

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Increased Ventricular Volume occurs during Diastole. Recharging for the next pump. During Systole, The Ventricle squeeze and Ventricular PRESSURE is increased. This increase of pressure makes a wave (pump) that ejects from the heart into the aorta first.

8. joonkimdds

joonkimdds Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I was curious why I was relating it to ideal gas law when blood isn't gas, but when I read lecture slide from human physiology, it says

"Blood flows from high to low pressure
    Pressure changes reflect changes in the volume of the chamber
    During contraction: ↓ volume/size = ↑ pressure
    During relaxation: ↑ volume/size = ↓ pressure"

so I thought that maybe blood also has the same type of relationship as ideal gas law does.

9. studlyguy87

2+ Year Member

Don't try to memorize what occurs during in each stage, but rather try to understand what is going on.

So here you have a ventricular systole (ie. contraction of ventricles). You can deduce from this that the flow of blood must be from ventricles to pulmonary artery or aorta and hence get an increased aortic pressure. So (a) must be true. (b) is false because the heart is pumping blood out of ventricles so the ventricular volume must be decreased. (C) "Dub" sound comes from closing of semilunar valves so this must be also false. (d) P wave indicates that there is an atrial depolarization (ie. contraction of atria) thus, this is obviously false.

10. polishp86

polishp86 The Man, DDS
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    I like to think of the heart as a divided by a horizontal plane, right beneath the atria. Think of it as if the top half (atrias) contract first, and then the bottom half (ventricle) contract second. Then learn the order of contraction if it there were a vertical plane put into the heart divided into 4ths, this is in every bio and anatomy book, and easy to find online. Then understand valve closure order, don't think of it in terms of chemistry at all its just a totally different thing. after an aorta or ventricle contracts the pressure increases in the vessels that have the blood being ejected into them (this is why the aorta is an elastic artery, to be able to handle the stretching and high pressures of blood being ejected into it). think of each portion of the heart as a pump, and pressure increases after the pump, so that is where the pressure will be high in the heart, right after the vessel or pump. it cant be be B, systole means they're contracting and so ejecting theyre contents.