This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Electronfying

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who have been, are, or will be in a similar situation as me, where you're worrying about copious expenses for graduate school: Please, help!

This is my current situation:

I just got accepted into the DPT program at Bond University in Australia and am trying to figure out how I am going to pay for my yearly expenses. Here is an itemized report of those most concerning yearly expenses:

- Tuition - $50k
- Dorm - $9k
- Meal Plan - $5k
- Travel - $3K
TOTAL: $67k ---> Let's round that to $70k

I can probably get $20k in loans from the U.S. government. As for the remaining balance - $50k - I have no idea how I'm going to secure that amount. I do not have any rich relatives or family members who can loan me $50k. I'd be lucky if I can even get $5k from my family. I have yet to visit the bank to see how much in loan I can get, but let's just say I'm approved for a $10k loan; that leaves me with $40k to worry about now.

Of course, I have been applying for scholarships. However, most of these scholarship can only do so much as cover my meals. And, from my research thus far, I do not see any scholarships available for PT students at Bond.

I'll take any advice anybody can spare. I want to somehow secure $70k, or at least $60k, by the end of February, just two months before the semester begins.... Come 2019, I'll have to worry about another $70k.

P.S. For those who will be in the PT program at Bond come 2018, please message me. I'd like to hear of your preparatory activities for the journey.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you a US person, and thinking of going to school in Australia? I hope you plan on staying there and practice after you get out. If you want to return to the US and work as a PT, expect some more hoops to jump through.

Banks do not make personal loans unless you have a collateral to offer, i.e., something they can "repo" in case you default.

Why not stay in the US and go to a state (and inexpensive) school?

I re-read your post and saw that the expenses are ~ $70K yearly. It'd be insane to borrow $200K for a DPT degree. That level of debt is in MD/DO/DDS territory.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Don’t do it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What Azimuthal said.

I wouldn't incur >$70k debt for PT school, including interest. It's not worth it. Stay out of debt and find other skills to acquire. Go to Skillshare.com. For $99/year you can learn really useful skills that you can leverage today. No board exam required. You could work at Jack in the Box and still afford it.

Are you a US person, and thinking of going to school in Australia? I hope you plan on staying there and practice after you get out. If you want to return to the US and work as a PT, expect some more hoops to jump through.

Banks do not make personal loans unless you have a collateral to offer, i.e., something they can "repo" in case you default.

Why not stay in the US and go to a state (and inexpensive) school?

I re-read your post and saw that the expenses are ~ $70K yearly. It'd be insane to borrow $200K for a DPT degree. That level of debt is in MD/DO/DDS territory.
Yes, I am a U.S. citizen hoping to study in Australia. And I know it sounds ridiculous to pay such amount for PT school, but that's about the same many would have to pay to enroll in a PT program at a private school here in the U.S.

I can't help but to overlook the cost of going to PT school in Australia if that means I'll be happy with a career I love.

75% of those I know tell me not to go... And part of me tells me not to go as well. However, I feel I may have more regret not going than to go and accrue such large debt.

Last edited:
I've heard of a U.S. government work program where one could qualify for up to $20k in school loan assistance a year.

Please post the details of this program as I am sure a lot of folks would be interested. I have not heard of such a thing myself at the national level; and if it existed, it's likely that you would incur some obligation in return. For ex., some states have a "forgivable loan" offer where they give you a certain amount ($14K/yr in NC, I was a recipient) in exchange for working in an underserved area for x years after graduation.

I would advise you not to go to Australia unless you can secure all 3 years' worth of tuition + living expenses. To be stranded there and not be able to continue because you have run out of money after 1 year or 2 would not be a good thing.

It's hard for me to tell you to go...I know you say this is a career you love, but is it still one you will love if finances are tight? I think burnout comes much quicker when your case load is high AND you are stressed about finances and drowning in debt. PT salary is not great right now. I know there is a ton of talk about negotiating and demanding higher pay...and I speak only for myself as a 1 year out grad....my classmates and I just didn't find it. Most of my classmates took jobs making just about $32/hour. I personally don't see a lot of upward growth nor expect to make substantially more than that over the years. $32/hour with NO debt is a medium level income. It's an income you certainly could earn without a doctorate degree, but it's very livable. $32/hour with crushing debt....well, in my mind you might as well have skipped all the school stress and skip the daily paperwork stress and just live happily on a basic job out of college. I had shadows of doubt when I was applying to school, but like you, my courses were "running out" and I could get into PT right NOW versus taking more courses. In retrospect, I wish I had more broadly considered PA and med school options. For just about the same amount of base schooling, my practice scope and earning potential would have been stronger.